Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 01:31

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Height- 5'5"
Frame- Medium
How long have you been low-carbing? Since the beginning of October 2002. Comin up on my 5 month anniversary.
Which plan do you follow? Basically Atkins. Been adding elements of Protein Power and Body For Life fitness recently.
Weight and or/size at start of lc plan Let's see. About 160 (didn't own a scale though) and a size 12
Current weight and/or size Averaging a good 140 and my size 10s are starting to slip off me.
Goal weight and/or size I suppose the weight is about 130, but my real goal is to increase my muscle mass and lose body fat. If that involves a higher weight than 130, I'm completely fine with that. And realistically I couldn't see myself smaller than a size 8, but who knows?

Short Bio
I'm a 21 year old full-time college student with a full time job living in New York city. Sounds fun, right? It's actually not so bad. I have an adorable cat named Cassie and my parents back in Chicago take care of my aging (she's 7) pet ferret, Biter. (Thought Butrf1y would appreciate my mention ) I'm a busy little lady but have been finding it much more of a breeze to keep my energy up since low carbing. I'm a bit obsessive and lately "dieting" has been drawing up some of my attention. Generally pretty relaxed and comfortable about this WOE though, just trying to tweak and play with it to see what happens.

March Challenge Goals
My biggest goal is to keep up my commitment to the gym. I've been going at least 3-4 times a week and I want to keep that up solidly. My goal: at least one upper body weights, one lower body weights, and two cardio sessions a week. I also usually do a yoga class a week.

I have been keeping calories at about 1600 and carbs around 30-40, often depending if it's a lifting day. Have been losing inches, so I think I'm going to keep this up, with a high calorie day once in awhile to remind my body I'm not starving.

I have also been eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. Gonna keep this up. It makes me feel more fulfilled and generally less dying of hunger on really long days (sometimes I'm gone from 8am-10pm).

I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my boyfriend's brother's wedding on April 12, so I really want my arms to look very nice by then for my spaghetti strap dress! I don't like to make specific goals about weight (those are hard to control) but I'd love to lose at least another inch or two off my waist and hips and lower my body fat a percentage.

Good luck all!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211.5/200.5/140
BF:
Progress: 15%

This is a "March Challange", right?? So it officially starts today. So the fact that I messed up last nite shouldn't count against me!?!?!?

I had 1/2 of a ham & chees sub and a few beers, I feel horrible this morning. My fingers and toes feel bloated.

Today is a new day and a new month, I will stick to my goals and I will do good in this challange!!!

Amy
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:08
Registered Member

Stats: 167.5/156.5/140
BF:34%/29%/20%
Progress: 40%
Exclamation Measurements

I think I have been hesitant to post my measurements. I do measure myself but I think I've been afraid that if I actually post them here and not lose any inches, I will be more let down.
So, I guess it will be good for me to do this.
It's not that I think I will feel obligated or more pressured but just afraid of a real commitment.
Actually seeing everyone else posting about loss then being afraid I may not.
Am I making sense?
I'm just now learning to not go so much by the scale.
Inches lost is much more important to me at this point.

Ok, here goes!

Bust- 38 (at widest part)

waist- 32 1/2 (1/2 inch above navel)

rt bicep- 12 (midpoint)

hips- 41 1/2 (at widest)

rt thigh- 25 (at widest)

rt calf- 14 (midpoint)

Ok, I survived!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
and
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:36

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh Bama...I am not the only one! Believe me, I share all your fears. But I have to figure we are all in the same boat and no one is going to pop out of the 'puter to slap me upside the head if I don't show miraculous progress.

I just got home from the grocery store where I bought some Splenda, although I don't go much for sweets, and the ingrediants for the Mock Danish

I just found out about aspartame last night and sure enough there it was in my Sugar Free Jello AND my store brand cola. Ho hum. So I bought a six pack of Hansen's soda, and some store brand plain gelatin and lemon extract. I whipped up some Mock Jello(?) and then noticed that the lemon extract is 84% alcohol. Oh boy..do you think 1 or 2 drops will do me in? It would be sort of odd to eat clear lemon jello

Anyway, I have avoided the stats long enough sooooo
I saw 229 on the scale this morning but I've heard that song before so I'm not going to claim that pound yet. Starting measurements are (blush) bust 49.5, waist 46, hips 49.
If I write small will they seem smaller?

GOOD LUCK ALL...WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Sue
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:43

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Day 1

Good Morning Challengers!

Hi Angela Its great to see a familair face! I smiled when I read about your ferret. I have two a girl and a boy..named Gipsy and Goliath. hehe...Good luck with this challenge!

Welcome Izzy ....yes, forget about the mishap...todays a brand new slate! Much luck to you.

Yes I understand what you mean Bama ...I feel its kinda scary to commit...but at the same time Im excited. I am dead serious about getting off my arse and finally starting the path that will get me into shape. Great job braving it gf and I'll follow your lead.

Im more concerned about inch loss than the scale at this point...my scale is two-faced Its my friend one moment and a snickering enemy the next. Im more concerned about reshaping my body and getting into smaller pants...the scale will eventually follow.

My Challenge Starting Measurements

Arm: 11 (left and right both the same)
Bust: 41
Waist: 31.5 ( where the curves meet I guess, if that makes sense)
Abdomen:34.5 yucky ..I love you poochy but you have to go.
Hips: 36.5
Thigh: 19.5 (left and right the same)

Starting weight: 146

Last edited by butrf1yb1u : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 11:45.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:54

BF:
Default Morning Dingo

Hi, we were posting around the same time ....I wish there were more Splenda products available out there. I gave up my jello too, found some of the Hansens Soda out here, and tend to whip up some heavy cream, add splenda and a lil good quality cocoa to it when I want something sweet. Its nummy. You have a definate hourglass figure...wish my hips and bust were porportionate ...there is hope tho! hehe Good luck with this Challenge!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:01

BF:
Smile We can do it!

There's Nothing to Fear : by Unknown

There's nothing to fear---
you're as good as the best,
As strong as the mightiest, too.
You can win in every battle or test;
For there's no one just like you.
There's only one you in the world today;
So nobody else, you see,
Can do your work in as fine a way:
You're the only you there'll be !

So face the world, and all life is yours
To conquer and love and live:
And you'll find the happiness that endures
In just the measure you give;
There's nothing too good for you to possess,
Nor heights where you cannot go:
Your power is more than belief or guess ---
It is something you have to know.

There is nothing to fear ---
you can and you will.
For you are the invincible you.
Set your foot on the highest hill ---
There's nothing you cannot do.

-------------------------------------------------------
~taken from Cyberquotations.com

Last edited by butrf1yb1u : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 12:04.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:01

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Hi there! I want to join too. I've been doing mini challenges since I started. They really seem to help me. I do better under pressure and using small time frames.

Height - 5' 8.5"
Frame - large
started 1/1/03
Atkins
start weight - 310
Current weight - 271
Goal weight - 160

I'm 35 and a mother of a 1 year old and a four year old. I've lost 39 lbs so far. I follow strict atkins induction and for exercise I do pilates. I never cheat and I have stopped the diet cokes and coffee. It's not that I'm a nazi LCer but I just want to get to goal as soon as possible and i don't want to do anything that will get in the way.

My goals are to:
- lose 18 lbs (I don't know if it's possible but I'm going to try)
- keep steady on the diet, vitamins, water
- continue the pilates
- add in cardio 3 to 5 times a week

Julie Huck
310/271/160
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:28

BF:

Juli...that is so awesome! You and I started the same day and I've only lost 16. Would you please tell me more about the Pilates? Where I live we have a free fitness center with all the machines, pools, classes etc and I know they offer Pilates. I've been hesitant to go because I thought maybe I was too big to participate. I'd sure like to hear what it is like. Many thanks...
Sue
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:50

Plan: shwarzbein/protein power
Stats: 165/135/125
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Re: March Challenge

Height - 5'6"
Frame - Small
How long have you been low-carbing? Jan 2002 restarting
Which plan do you follow? Portein power/schwarzbein
Weight and or/size at start of lc plan 165
Current weight and/or size -145
Goal weight and/or size 130?

Short Bio...so we can get to know one another. Mom of two, work partime.

and Finally ...your March Challenge Goals...whatever that should be. ex. water goal, exercise, inch loss, pound loss...etc.

Goals - keep up water consumption, especially on work days!!! Alternate pilates workouts with more cardio. Increase weights ( for lifting) Lose 5 lbs.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 13:09

Stats: 166/149/135
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile Count me in for March.

Height 5 ft. Goal.. 5' 2" (just kidding)
Frame Medium
How long have you been low-carbing? January 20, 2003
Which plan do you follow? Atkins
Weight and or/size at start of lc plan 166
Current weight and/or size 150
Goal weight and/or size 135

Short Bio...
Rebecca is my name, I live on Vancouver Island in Beautiful BC.
I'm single (don't like the word divorce) kids are grown. I have one son who moved back home at Christmas, he did Aktins with me for two weeks, he lost 8 lbs.. felt great but missed his beer.

I enjoy golfing , travel , photograhy , music . My goal was to weight 150 by my birthday in March, seeing I'm there now, I need some new ones.
Weight 142
To drink more water... oh I try... it's difficult. I drink about 50 to 60 oz. now.. To Drink 80 to 90 oz. sounds realistic.

Now 32 inch waist goal 30 inch
Now 42 inch hips goal 40 inch

I don't know if 8 pounds equals 2 inches.. it's wishful thinking.
I have an inactive thyroid at the moment, I go for a scan on March 20th. I have little to no energy so exercise would take everything out of me. I think a couple of short walks a day and perhaps some stretches. I'll see how I feel. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
My motivation:... Looking great on the golf course this summer in shorts.. Who knows.. I might meet a new boyfriend.

Justbecause
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%

ht: 5'4"
frame: medium
been LCing on and off almost 1 year
follow Atkins
previous weight: 175, snug size 12
current: 163, true size 12
goal: 125, whatever smaller size that might be!

Greetings fellow low carbers! This is exactly what I needed to get me motivated and back on track. I started induction last year in March after I bought the Atkins book and in two weeks I lost 13 lbs, it was amazing. I never felt so in control of myself. Well, all I can say is that one thing led to another and I admittedly fell back to my sugar binging ways. I am defintley the type of person who would prefer to consume a bag of Oreos than eat a low carb eight course meal; but that's the fat me talking. Fot r the past year i have struggled with doing great for a few weeks, then blowing it in five minutes with a large chocolate shake from in&out.
hopefully this motivation will keep me on track, as well as remembering how good it felt deciding what to wear in the morning without having to consider which shirt would conceal my gut without making me look like i was eight months pregnant!
currently I am on day six of induction and have been in ketosis for three days. My goals this month are to make it thru without breaking out of ketosis and go the full month with absolutely no deviations!!

thanks to all!!
Let's make it happen!!
bebe
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:16

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Progress: 57%

Hi Everyone!!
Day 1 of our challenge begins.......so far so good! Congratulations to everyone that has lost and is continuing to lose.
Alright so here are my starting stats.....keep in mind that I just got my period so I'm a little bloated!! lol(blame it on the period)...I hope I lose weight when my period is gone. I was pms ing and I cheated a few days ago and now I weigh more than I ever have and My measurments went up too. OOps....live and learn!!

waist 27"
belly button 29.5"
hips 34"
bicep 12"
thigh 23.5"

Good luck to everyone!!! HAPPY MARCH 1ST DAY!!!!

Last edited by Kaela : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 16:03.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:26

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Hi Sue ( Dingo10520 )

You asked about Pilates... Ok I've been doing it for 5 weeks or so. My suggestion is to get a good book and learn the Modified Beginners series which is about 7 exercises. Do them for a couple of weeks until you are confident enough to move on to the beginning routine. Once you learn how to do all the exercises in that you will be able to follow along in a Pilates class. I personally haven't done a class because I have two small kids that tie me down but I'm sure they would be helpful in making sure you are doing everything the correct way. Precision and concentration is the key to Pilates. However, I got around it by ordering a no nonsense DVD about REAL Pilates and they really helped with timing and correct movements. Beware that a lot of the Pilates tapes on the market are just aerobics routines with Pilates moves mixed in. The DVD I got was theClassical Pilates Technique - The Complete Mat Workout Series and the Book that I go by is The Pilates Body and I also got a something called The Pilates Body Kit which is a set of flash cards along with two audio cd's that I got for free through a book club that has been really helpful too. (you have to scroll down to see that one).

ANYWAY! The great thing about Pilates is that you start out small and build up. Anyone can do it if they modify to what their bodies can do to start with and then increase difficulty as you go. I started out not being able to do half of the modified beginning. But I changed the exercises slightly as suggested by the book and now I can to all of them no problem. I'm doing a intermediate routine now but I have to modify several of the more advanced moves. I figure I will be in the intermediate stage for several more months. At any rate I love it and I could do it for the rest of my life. I don't have to talk myself into doing the workout. I actually look forward to it

I know this isn't an exercise thread so I hope nobody minded me posting all of this but I've become quite the convert!

Hope that helps

Julie Huck
310/271/160
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 17:08

BF:

Thanks a lot, Julie. I'm going to look into it.
Sue