Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2806   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 11:17

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
I almost forgot...I love this quote, Larry (from the link he posted above)
Quote:
The beauty of this WoE is that you DO NOT have to do ALL the details to get some benefit.
That is SO reassuring to me because I'm learning as I go. And it's good to know that I can keep doing more and more stuff right and still get a ton of the benefits as I go.
BOTH the beauty, and to me the power of this WoL, AND the CHALLENGE of PP/PPLP is its flexibility. The Drs. Eades spell out the principles of good nutrition, more readable in PPLP,in my opinion. The basic plan is; 1. eat enough protein to supply the bodies daily needs, 2. restrict carbohydrates to under 100 grams - more or less - per day so that there is not an excess created in the blood stream which would cause an insulin spike, 3. replace the lost energy from the carbohydrate restriction with GOOD fats as most of the bodies cells really prefer fats for energy. 4. take a specially selected set of supplements to replace the lack of those vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and anti-oxidants that are typically deficient in the modern diet or are reduced because of aging (Q10) - Magnesium being #1 on the list to take. That is sort of the 20% of the plan that the Eades say gives the 80% benefits. Beyond that they give you the reasons for many of the health problems that are encountered in the modern agricultural world. It is then up to EACH individual person to tweak the basics to suit their needs and ability to follow. One other thing that MUST be said, that is there HAS to be a switch from thinking that this is a temporary diet to THIS IS THE WAY I WILL EAT THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Quote:
The one thing that will challenge me with supplements is finding combination ones to simplify. If you have any suggestions, kindly let me know. Otherwise I'll just take my list and try to compare against good, natural multi-vitamins and such.
I do not take multis because you cannot control the amounts of the various things in them, with one exception, that is a vitamin B multi which as soon as it runs out I will stop. I read that there are some vitamin B forms that should be limited. One of the things that I found in multis is copper which I avoid, they also often have iron, which when you read PPLP you know that we gradually accumulate TOO much in our bodies. The body has no way of eliminating any excess, because iron is so necessary and parasites were always "robbing" it from our prehistoric ancestors. Then too many have vitamin A, which most of us should not need. Too much vitamin A is not good. So I get individual supplements that I have found a good reason for taking and avoid ones that some supplement manufacture THINKS I need.

It winds up a BUNCH of pills, but I have evolved a system that helps. I have a set of small bottles (from baby aspirin) that I fill up when they run out, sort of an assembly line process, so I can go 18 days. Each AM or PM , I get a bottle and eat them as I read my email. Like everything else, eventually it becomes a part of the every day routine which you then do not notice as much.

I have trouble swallowing large chunks, so I cannot take a hand full of pills all at once. If you can that would make your taking supplements easier. I use the need to take two (maximum) at a time as a way of getting a large part of my daily water. I use a 12 oz glass to "wash down" all the pills - some 30+! About half of those are for Prostate health, as my Father died of Prostate Cancer.
Sponsored Links
  #2807   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 12:14

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

That's a good recap, Larry.

For supplements, I use a couple of the big 7-day pill dispensers. I can fill them up for a two-week supply. I take the individual supplements rather than combos because I try to get the specific form recommended and can control the dose better. I have an especially hard time figuring out what form of magnesium to get and also how much elemental magnesium there is. Even though PPLP explains it, the labels are still confusing to me.
  #2808   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 16:53
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce

For supplements, I use a couple of the big 7-day pill dispensers. I can fill them up for a two-week supply. I take the individual supplements rather than combos because I try to get the specific form recommended and can control the dose better. I have an especially hard time figuring out what form of magnesium to get and also how much elemental magnesium there is. Even though PPLP explains it, the labels are still confusing to me.

Thanks for the recap, Larry. And I was definitely thinking of doing what you're suggesting, AuntJoyce. In the meantime after asking Larry about multis I realized that I need to mix and match. So I did a shopping run and actually found a great deal on some good viatmins (the ones with nothing artificial and no yeast or gluten, etc.) I can take a few at a time but it's really just keeping track of them that's a challenge - thus the 7-day pill organizer.

BTW when do you both take your vitamins? Morning? Night? With meals? And do you ever take days off? Just curious.

This is part of my New Year's resolution and I started them today...so I'm off to a good start! Tomorrow I see a personal trainer for some tips. After over-indulging the last week or so, I'm really ready to focus on healthy living again!
  #2809   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 17:51

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce

You should always get Magnesium Citrate (can also be the malate or aspartate form) and not the oxide. The citrate is better adsorbed while the oxide may travel all the way through - think Milk of Magnesia, the laxative. I had to find my copy of PPLP to check the amount they recommend. It is from 300 to 600 mg per day. I take 400, which is 4 tablets that are 200 mg each but contain only half (100 mg) that weight in magnesium (elemental). The easy way to figure out how much elemental magnesium is in a supplement is to look at what per cent of the RDA it supplies. Mine for example, has 50% of the RDA for one 200 mg tablet. So I get 100 mg of elemental magnesium in each tablet. I take two in the AM and two in the PM.
Quote:
BTW when do you both take your vitamins? Morning? Night? With meals? And do you ever take days off? Just curious.
I take supplements BOTH in the morning and evening just before I eat - probably should take some after for better adsorption of them. That splits them up so there are not so many all at once. I also think that helps to provide a more consistent amount in the blood. The ONLY time I might skip is if I am traveling, but that would be only for one meal, supper as I like to keep traveling late in the evening.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Mon, Jan-01-07 at 17:57.
  #2810   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 22:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Yeah, definitely let us know if you come up with a good hot cereal JAnn! I have to say the one I bought wasn't bad (flax based) but it was SO sweet to me. JKMFrog I like your breakfast suggestions. I just did a LC pound cake with almond flour - nice and simple and SO yummy. Maybe we should compare recipes. BTW I noticed sifting the flour really adds to the texture and consistency so I'm going to do that every time.

I got mine off somewhere online and have not made it in a while - but I will check and see if I can find it. I've been using a version of Scott123's sweetener mix, but when I made the pound cake the first time I used granular splenda which I'm not a big fan of by itsself...but I ramble....thanks for the tip about sifting. I have been grinding my own almond flour in the food processor and it does not grind even. My food processor is very old and blades are serrated - not good for fine ginding. Sifting wold certainly help that problem. I was thinking about getting a new one but its hard to justify the expense when the old one is still working (even if not very well). The DF is a bit bewildered by the number of kitchen devices I seem to need to prepare food and even more bewildered by the prices of things. ("what exactly are you going to use that for and why do you need the one that costs 99 bucks and not the one that costs 19?" lol. he's awesome, just not into cooking)

anyway - I like the hot cereal recipe JAnn. All my favorite things including walnuts, coconut and flaxseed. Think I could sub whey protein for soy? Hummm...why ask when I can try it this week? I'll let you all know. I might also sub some thicken/thin not cereral for the psyllium.

Jen

PS yall's exercise reports are inspiring. Might have to get up off my butt more this year. will let you know if I do. lol.
  #2811   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 10:02
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Larry - thanks for the vitamin tips. I like the idea of taking them "with food" just to avoid stomach upset. I also like the idea of breaking up when you take them. I'll play with that.

Jkmfrog - please do tell what kind of cereal you create. These are good ideas, which I'll try soon.

And yes, by all means get off your butt more! LOL Songberrie makes us all look like bums, of course. But hey, we've got to try! haha

As for me, I'm off to my first meeting with a personal trainer today. Wish me luck!
  #2812   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 08:05

Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Lisa - we all have to start somewhere!

I ran 16 miles Monday, 3 mountain climbs, muscle toning Tue, weights and a 10 mile mountain run with 1 foot of snow in spots, laps at the pool for 45 min Thur and 10 sets of sprints on the treadmill for a total of 4 1/2 miles. I just got back from the gym and hope to get in at least 6 miles this morning, I have a funeral to go to today.

I was on the computer looking at mountain races and I found a 32 mile race in Moab, Utah next month. I'm thinking about going for it! I have my 1/2 marathon next weekend!
  #2813   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 15:21
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Wow! Songberrie, you are incredible girl! Go for it and good luck with the 1/2 marathon!

As for me, I went to see the trainer and was encouraged. He's pleased with my form and focus and looking forward to challenging me. I went through the basic routine we'll be doing with him and then went back on Thursday to try it by myself. I did fairly well and then bonus-time he was there! So he guided me a bit. It was great. I swear I burned tons of calories. I'm achy today - new muscles at work everywhere!

Also, the scale has dropped again this week...I'm down to low 182 (182.6 yesterday, 182.2 today). It's a great downward trend I think I've begun!
  #2814   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 11:55
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi everyone. I've been reading more and more of my PPLP and I find one of the coolest experiences is to realize some of things that I did "right" while growing up...or rather, just worked because of my upbringing and my my parent's tendencies.

While there are many examples, the one I'll use is how I grew up learning to play piano and how I studied the classics. It directly correlates to the "brain power" chapter. I can recall discussions about how playing an instrument...being in band or choir...can help students do better in school. And now that I'm readling PPLP I feel as though I understand a bit more WHY that is.

What's cool for me is that I am being reminded of what I did correctly already and what I need to do again. Because of moving and not having a piano, I got away from playing. I used to use it as a mental re-focus and playing was always very cathartic for me. I think while I didn't have any kind of keyboard I used singing in its place, but I think playing again would be wise. We were lucky enough to have a piano gifted from my in-laws, though I've spent this year being "too busy" to play it much. I made sure to invest in getting it tuned this winter so it's ready to go. I think it's time for me take more piano breaks again!
  #2815   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 09:23

BF:

Lisa - I love that achy feeling, especially when the scale moves!

I went for a 7 mile run yesterday, the wind, cold and snow got to me the last 2 miles! I took the kids to the pool in the afternoon and my friend (she teaches swimming) helped me with my front crawl. My arms are sore if I raise them over my head, but boy was that a good workout! I'll work on it somemore Thursday morning at the pool. I hope I can swim straight in the lane, because it's crowded in the am's.
  #2816   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 11:17
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Songberrie. I miss swimming - I really need to get back to that. But you know it's tough to find enough time in the day for everything, so for now I'm making the most of my exercise time with my new routine and "dry" cardio. hahaha Good for you for working on your technique, though. When you do the crawl correctly, it's incredible!

As for me, the most exciting "sore" news is that I feel different abdominal muscles in my torso now and I'd swear I feel like I'm lenghtening and slimming. That might be a bit crazy, but I'll run with it!

Ok, speaking or working out, I'm going to do a random one here at home, so I've got to go! Have a great weekend and I'm sure we'll check in again next week!
  #2817   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 07:12

BF:

Lisa - yup, somedays any workout is a good workout! I love that ab feeling.

I'm thinking about asking my instructor from my muscle toning class to give me her 5 favorite ab exercises. Now that I'm swimming on Thursdays I'm only doing abs once a week, and I know that's not enough, so I think I'll have to do them on my own.

So much exercising, so little time!

I just got back from the gym and after I take the kids to school I'm going up to the mountains for a 7 1/2 mile run, then I'll come back down and run on some dirt roads around town. It should end up being around 18 miles for the day. This will be my long run for the week, then I'll taper down for the 1/2 marathon on Saturday.
  #2818   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 11:17
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Well, yesterday's workout kicked my butt! I'm seriously sore in all kinds of places. ROFL But I feel great. Today I take it easy (well, exercise-wise) by just doing some yoga (and maybe a little pilates, but we'll see - I don't want to overdo it yet).

I'm concentrating on organizing my life today (business stuff and home) and letting my body adjust to this new workout routine. It's very exciting, I can already feel changes in my body!
  #2819   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 07:26

BF:

Lisa - you sound like you're really getting a handle on things! I found that with loosing weight the rest of my life was easier to handle. I guess because I had more energy, I got more done, my house got cleaner and my life got more organized. Oooh, such good feelings!

I ended up doing 3 workouts yesterday! 1 hour of muscle toning, 12 sets of 2 minute sprints on the treadmill, then I took the kids to the pool in the evening so I could practice swimming straight in the lane. I'm doing pretty good with it.

Today is a run in the mtns with the girls, I just got back from a gym workout.
  #2820   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Songberrie, I just have a question: do you work outside the home? because I just don't have the time to do all the activities you do....don't get me wrong I totally admire all your excercise and running into the mountains, swimming etc., but I just can't fit all that into my day after I work 8-10 hours...please tell me how you do it!!!
Closed Thread