Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2506   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 20:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hello ladies!
I am back, briefly, after spending a whole bunch of time in the mountains with my granddaughter. Things are changing a lot lately, my daughter is moving back to the city (my dream come thru), and finally today, we found the perfect apartment for her and the little one. There were two available in the same tower, one just above the other, and while she was debating which one she wanted, we both exclaimed at the same time: 'why not take both?'... and so it was, I took the other apart. and gave my notice here just half an hour before the office closed for the long weekend... how crazy is that.... so now, we are both moving on August 1st, me directly under her, aha, and we are both so excited about it...
diet-wise, I am still on track, how incredible is that, but just losing minute amounts, nothing worth reporting really.
My doctor says it's hormonal, and I have been putting a progesterone cream on my arms for the last month. It helps with hot flashes, I just had them occasionally anyway so no big deal, but I feel very calm lately, and it might be that, who knows??
Congrats Ann and JAnn on your awesome losses, so envious, aha.... but happy for you both.
To my fellow Canadians, I wish a very happy Canada Day tomorrow. And to my American friends, a great 4th of July, coming soon!!!
Talk to you soon, friends.
Sponsored Links
  #2507   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 07:02

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Fauve, that's wonderful about you and your DD getting apts soclose together. I also am dealing with the hormonal issues. I read your post and then realized that I was forgetting to use my cream! got to get back on it or this hot weather will send me into some serious hot flashing!
  #2508   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 13:49

BF:

I just lost 6 lbs in a day!!!
Totally fake loss though. I got a bad stomach virus, and it emptied me of the last drop of fluid I had in my body... or so it seems, aha. I know I will regain them as soon as I can keep some water into me, but hey, how often can I say that I lost 6 lbs in a day, right!
Ok, back to bed for me... Enjoy your day, you all!
  #2509   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 09:12

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%
Smile

Hi everyone!

Is it too late to join this thread I just found it and looked briefly thru some posts and think it is just what I need.
I am 56 and just came back to the forum after completing cancer treatment (chemo and radiation) for breast cancer and am sooooo happy to be at the other end of a long year.
Biggest problem is I was down to 181 and ate my way up to 224 during the past year. Of course the steriods I was given did not help but truth be told I did alot of stress eating. Lost about 12 lbs but am now bouncing with my weight which is normal for me.
I have fibromyalgia so my exercise has to be gentle. Right now I am doing step counting with a pedometer and adding 1000 steps per week until I walk about 70,000 a week. Plan to take yoga again in the fall.
Hope to read some of you nice people on this site.
Another Nancy

Last edited by moondanzr : Thu, Jul-20-06 at 09:14. Reason: boo boo
  #2510   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 15:02

BF:

Welcome Nancy!
I too have fibromyalgia, and was doing lots of walking. Unfortunately, last October I hurt my foot, probably because I was walking with old shoes, and I developed plantar fasciitis. It is not healing, and walking makes it worse. I am moving on August 1st in a new building, where there is a gym and an elliptical... and I plan to do my cardio on that from now on. Hopefully that will work!!!
Diet-wise, I do no-carbs, only protein and fat, and it works slowly, but it works.
On a personal note, I am 58, divorced, two daughters and a six year old granddaughter, and I am so happy about my life...
Hope to know you better soon,
Danielle
  #2511   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 12:46

Hi Danielle!

So nice to meet you and altho I wish you didn't have fibro I know that you understand the challenges it can present.
Your new apartment and the gym sound wonderful and I hope it does not hurt your foot. Does it bother you to walk to do shopping and the like?
I would like to move up to lifting some free weights but am told not to lift more than 5 lbs. Actually my niece, the registered physical therapist tells me 2 lbs and more reps so we shall see.

I can't do no carbs even tho I would like to give it a try as I am type 2 diabetic and will go hypo even tho I am not on a drug that encourages more insulin production so I keep to the low glycemic veggies and such.

Right now I am not making the best food choices so plan on starting induction this Thursday for at least 2 weeks as it will at least help stop the cravings for sweets and the like.
Myself, I am married (again) for 6 years now. I was never blessed with children (sigh) but am very close to my niece and grandnieces so that does help. I do have 3 very spoiled cats and one very spoiled dog!
I have already beat my step goal for this week but I did start off slow as I am easing back into exercise after almost a year of doing pratically nothing except going in for treatments.
Thanks for responding!
Nancy
  #2512   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-06, 20:41

BF:

Hey Nancy,
I just read your post, sorry, have not been on the computer lately, as I am deep deep into packing!!! I do move so often, I got it down to an art, lol, but still, it is lots of work. And of course, a great excuse to get off plan!!! Since the kitchen has been thoroughly cleaned, and all the pots and pans are packed, I am presently living on take out... you do the math!
Anyway.... I'll get back on plan sometime next week, when the new kitchen is operational...
And yes, yes, I do know the challenge of trying to do an efficient workout while avoiding the after-workout paralysis!!! Not easy. But we learn! It has been thirteen-fifteen years for me, I was diagnosed in 1993, though I was suffering for at least two years before I finally got a diagnosis.
I am so sorry that you have another huge challenge, the cancer challenge... but really glad that this awful year is over.
Take good care of yourself, Nancy.
Danielle
ps... had to laugh at your menagerie.... used to have one too... at one point, I had seven dogs, German Shepherd dogs no less... These last ten years, I had a wonderful little Yorkshire Terrier; but sadly, he died last year.
  #2513   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-06, 20:50

BF:

Oh Nancy, forgot to tell you; I just met a lady at the pool; she was doing deep water running... Have you heard of that? I didn't, it was totally new to me. She has a bad back, and it's the only exercise she can tolerated. She puts a belt around her waist to help her float, and she runs... in the water... extremely easy on the joints, and my foot!!! she learned about it at the YWCA, here in Vancouver, ozonated pool, no chlorine. She lost 25 lbs in 6 months, and she is really not big at all. Will have to look into that for sure!
  #2514   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-06, 11:34

Hi Danielle,

I do NOT envy your packing that's for sure! That's exercise in itself!
That deep water running sounds very interesting!!! I wish we had a YMCA that was close by as I am sure that is one thing I could do.
Amazing, we were both diagnosised with FMS the same year. It did disable me enough that I can't work and I did work as a nurse for 24 years. I never had weight problems until FMS.
Yes, I do love my furry children. Puppy and I were both diagnosised this past week with Lyme's disease. Puppy had her routine check-up for heart worm and lyme and I got a bull's eye rash. Puppy and I are both on the same antibiotic just diferent doses.
Still doing OK on my step goal and surpassed it last week altho a few days with my g/f staying here with me put me off plan and up 4 lbs. Today is the first day of induction!
Nancy
  #2515   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 08:29

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm back and amazed that some of you ladies are still here.

Trying to lose this weight for good now.

I'm going back to read some of the posts.

BBL
  #2516   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Is anyone there?
It has been a very stressful year.I have gained weight but have taken the plunge back to low carbing.Got back on Atkins Induction on Monday.It has been a good week.I feel better already.
I won't say much more since I don't know if anyone is still around or not.Would be nice to get this thread going once again but if that isn't possible I will understand.
I need the support that this forum gives so I had to come back even with a gain.
Hope to hear from some of you.I will keep checking back so hopefully we can get this thread going once again.Maybe I will see some of you on other areas of the forum.
Nancy
  #2517   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 09:49

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Hi, Nancy, I'm still hanging around. I know it's hard to get back when you have a weight gain. I've been eating bread lately myself and am up 5 pounds. I'm going shopping today and hope to be back on induction tomorrow. I need to make some flax seed muffins and pork rind pancakes to get me off the bread.

Maybe some of the others will join in again.
  #2518   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi JAnn,
Really great to see a response from you already.Hope some of the others will join us.
As much as I didn't want to do it I changed my weight stat showing my weight now.I took my measurements again the other day.At least they aren't back to where I was when I first started low carbing 3 years ago.Don't ever want to get back to that size.
I am working hard to get this weight off and back to riding my stationary bike.Getting back to riding my bike is such a struggle.I am back to riding it 10-15 minutes at a time.Hard to believe I was once riding it for 30 minutes without stopping.

I want to wish you well as you get back on track.I went up 5 then it seemed like another 5 came on and then another 5.It can happen in no time and then you wonder what in the world happened.
Even though I have gained I have continued to eat the flax meal bread every morning.I really enjoy it and the fiber is good for me.Glad I didn't stray away from it.

Want to wish you well as you get back on track.

Nancy
  #2519   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 10:24

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Nancy and JAnn

Yep, I am still around, I too put on pounds since we last visited in the spring. I went back up to 218 from March to Sept. Right after Labour day I got serious again and am down to 207.5. At the end of August I saw a doctor that was filling in for my regular doc and he increased my thyroid meds and what a difference I feel so much better, more energetic etc so I think that has helped me to drop these pounds in the the last 5 weeks.

Nice to see both of you again and congratulations for getting back on plan, we can do it! I agree the support here is a great motivator. I started back recently visiting the forum, just reading but not participating.

Jes
  #2520   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 19:28

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm still here as well. Still trying to get rid of this weight. I think I have tried every diet out there, and still keep coming back to low carb.
Closed Thread