Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2371   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 08:06

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Jaz, a carb is a carb. Point blank.

A 20 count of carbs from a big salad and goodies on it is absolutely NO different than a count of 20 carbs from a smidge of a donut eaten.

The body will process ALL carbs the same way.

Don't pretend here. If you eliminate 'what you see as junky carbs' and eat the 'good carbs' you are in no better place at all...they are the same. ALL carbs do the same in the body point blank. SOME maybe process slower on the insulin swings but they all do the same thing

and I know you know that

Lost your taste for meat? huh....I never went thru that. I just wanted more carbs in my life cause carbs is what I want and when I thought steak I was like....hell no I don't want steak, I want 'insert any and all carbs here' now LOL

You love your ribs from that place you buy.
You love your grilled meats at the pool.
You love your salmon etc.....just incorporate more seafood with your meats. Like surf and turf time. Hunk of salmon and a small filet mignon steak. Hell I would kill for that meal (but replace salmon with crab cause not a salmon fan )

WHY are you losing your meat taste? Important to think about that in all honesty. What is making you swing to a new way of eating and what is the underlying cause? Once you can answer that then ya can move on to fix, change or adapt etc.

Just google 'your county and agricultural dept.' and you will get your town's farms in the area. They list all the grass fed beef/meats available and farms that provide food locally etc. So for me it would be 'Catawba County NC Agricultural Department' and since my county dosen't have one since we are so small, the next town local one comes up....and you get tons of farm info right there and how to buy etc. from local farms.

So glad you can watch the baby! That is so cool you can do that and watch how she grows and changes.....technology has its' upside ya know lol

you will be fine just walk thru your changes and what is happening in your life and you can find out about yourself and how you want to move forward.

all good
Sponsored Links
  #2372   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 10:56

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks TRIG- I will do that- about the farms. I am hopeful I can come up with something I will do.

Yes- carbs are killers- I KNOW that. I am not happy with food at moment.

ALL-
So my granddaughter has earned her the nickname - WILDCHILD.
She decided she was done with the vent and pulled her tube out and decided to breath on her own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess she showed them! She also does not like her eye mask for her BILI lights- she removes it all the time.
She is doing things her way- little fighter- warrior gal of mine. Love her already.

She is doing beautiful and AHEAD of schedule. She was not to come off the vent for another 3 weeks. She was done! She is just on supportive oxygen in her nose- if she will leave it in!

Ok- gotta go
  #2373   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 16:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Jaz---That is just the best thing I've heard in a long time. Little Ava just said, "movin' on people." Yep, she's a fighter. And ahead of schedule! Wow, what a happy little miracle.

And yeah, remind me NOT to watch that movie, LOL. Wouldn't anyway though. Long ago I came to terms that I'm a carnivore. Didn't choose it, most of us are raised that way before we even know what's going on, but I don't love the idea of it either.

We have bought a half a cow for years, grass fed, humane treatment thru the end. I wish more folks would force grocery stores to demand this for all animals. It can happen. Sure happened w/no antibiotics, no hormones. One store in town started advertising that w/its meats and now everyone does it.

A gal pal of mine went vegetarian and gained 25 pounds. Now she eats just turkey chicken and fish. Works well for her. But an animal is an animal...ya know?

My thoughts for whatever they're worth. You weren't losing much eating zero carbs, see what happens with 20 or under, which is still considered VERY LOW CARB, and not near enough to cause health problems such as Diabetes 2. Most people are shocked when I tell them I shoot for 25 net carbs a day. I doubt you'll gain if most of those carbs are greens and LC vegetables. And who knows, you might even drop a few. What you're doing may be a tad more carbs, but it's also a lot less calories. The challenging part will be getting enough fat to keep yourself sated. Without dairy, you'll have to work a bit at that. OR, just eat red meat sparingly---a bit of bacon for fat, and learn how to do a lot w/chicken, skin on for fat. I think the impact of the movie may fade for you, and you can and will find a balanced approach that works.

After all, the options suck.

Nic---LOL, I knew we weren't getting bows and buttons details on the dress. Not your thang. Good news is you're so good at sharing pix w/us, and we all look forward to seeing the dress and your beautiful daughter.

Lori---So interesting you still get "nervous" before a golf game if you've not been on the greens for a bit. But that's what gives you that competitive edge!

Trigger---When does kiddo go back to school? Can hardly believe I'm asking that. Where did summer go? And, so you got a reprieve from the mall BTS thing. YAY. I hate malls, always feel hermetically sealed inside. Not to mention a mall and a twelve year old girl with plenty of ideas of her own.

K-mom---Have let my water count go these last few days. Back on board tomorrow and will report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Met BIL AND SIL for breakfast to hear about their Baltic countries sea cruise. So interesting. Have never taken a cruise as I get sea sick easily, but so does she and the meds she took worked. Nice way to travel. This was a smaller boat, just 800 people, not one of those Carnival cruise deals that always look to me like a crowded tourist town on the water. Sounded so relaxing. SIGH. Fun to live thru someone else's experiences for a minute, as we certainly won't be cruising soon.

Did well at breakfast. Just two small bites of hubby's fried potatoes. Fork down! BBQ ribs for dinner w/some LC slaw. One day at a time. Kind of missing that week when food did not appeal to me, but that was because I was so freaking stressed, and it's good to have that recede somewhat. Even if food looks good again.

Had myself a nice lazy day. I deserved it. Tomorrow I have work I want to do. Sometimes I like working on weekends, quiet, no interruptions. Like coming into Monday w/it done instead of hanging over my head.

Last edited by Blue52 : Sat, Aug-19-17 at 18:51.
  #2374   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 07:30

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

WOW!! Look at that little Ava, kicking ass and taking names! Well done, child! So glad she is doing well. Not to say that there won't be speed bumps along the way but I am thrilled. Also glad to know the fam is doing well at the Ronald McDonald house. McDonald's ain't all bad!

I haven't seen the movie and likely won't. I'm having a hard enough time with focus without being sidetracked and getting confused. lol

Blue- Your restful Saturday sounds wonderful and just what the Dr ordered! I have not found sea sickness to be a big issue on cruises and IMO the larger the ship the less likely for it to be a problem. A travel agent can help find what areas of the ship experience the least movement as well. Now when I get OFF is a problem- it usually takes about a week for me to not feel like I am still on the sea!

Lori- I keep wondering if I am in your area of PA. I can't quite remember where you are. I'm picking up DS15 today and spent the night in PA at a B&B last night, after a wonderful day in MD with my menfolk (who then went home.) Right now I am near Juniata College in Huntingdon.

Trig- Your fancy pants daughter with her brows done! Love it! She really is just an amazing mix of interests. Not easily put in a box, that one!

KMOM- hope you are well and the heart is beating along nice and steady.

•••••••

I'm sure i should be saying much more but I am wiped out. Picking up DS15 in about 15 minutes and then headed back three hours to home. I love B&Bs but this one wasn't all that great. It was fine, but not great.

Can't wait to hear what DS15 says about his camp experience though.

Looks awfully gray out there. I tend to hit bad weather coming out here and it can be bad with the mountainous terrain. Sirens were going off during my arrival yesterday!

Will send an email with DD and a few dresses at some point this week.
  #2375   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 08:37

BF:

HI ALL
quickie
got things happening here and I love to do it all early, and leave the balance of my day as I need to, so I can relax or get a project done or whatever......always been super early person and I don't think that will ever change.

didn't sleep good. bed at 4:30 am and up at 7. BUT what happened was watching tv and fell asleep around 12 to 3am range? and woke up and screwed the pooch at that point LOL---I need my 5-6 hrs in a row, not chunked up lol

hot as hades here and I love it.
pool today for sure sometime

off to get shaking and moving, everyone have a fine day
  #2376   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 15:19

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Nic....you are a bit west of me, I believe. I am an hour north of Harrisburg and an hour east of State College(Penn State).

Home from another day on the golf course. My partner and I played fairly well, but most importantly, had a good time. We didn't win anything, but I never enter a tournament with the expectation of winning. I'm just happy to be out there.

Went a bit off the rails with my eating today, but tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow I'll be back to intermittent fasting and strict LC. Also planning a boot camp session in the morning.

Not much else happening here. DH spent the day at the Little League world series and just got home. Now he's out mowing grass....no rest for the weary!

Hope you've all enjoyed your weekend.
  #2377   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 17:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Quickie post from me tonight, because I am Lazy Maizey. DID get some work done today, enough work to make the beginning of my week lighter. After that I was going to move into cleaning out some stuff from the house, but I passed the sofa and it grabbed me real fast and threw my kindle at me, and wouldn't let me go! Then that turned into a nice nap.

Now I'm going to make a cheeseburger on LC bread. Should come in at about 25 net carbs today and that didn't involve a whole lot of food/calories. I can feel the bloat from last week going down. THAT always feels good.

Finished Ozark season 1 last night. Again gals, whoa Nellie, what a ride. So tonight we have to find something new to start. Hard to start something new when you were so involved in the last series. But we'll be off into a new tale soon. We cannot tolerate a "show hole." Hahahahaha.
  #2378   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 21:12

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yay! This site is not shaking and jumping around. No matter what I tried before, I could not get it to settle down. I turned off the sound hoping that would help me be able to read the posts...but after one or two sentences it started going weird again.

My SD was here all weekend so I am of course shot. But such a good shot. She is amazing. She brings me so much joy! Can't wait for Blue to meet her some day.

So now that the site has calmed down, I am too tired to post much. 10:15 here and that is late for me.

Will post more tomorrow.

Heart still in normal rhythm!

K-Mom 10x3
  #2379   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 21:13

BF:
Progress:

I should make that more clear. I turned off the sound because it was giving me a headache. Two videos were going at the same time. I thought maybe without the sound...I could put up with the shaking. But it was just too hard.
  #2380   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 02:46

BF:

Good early morning!

KMom....glad to hear that your heart is behaving itself! Sounds like you had a busy weekend.

I'm looking forward to a nice, easy week. I don't have any appointments or obligations. The house will be quiet and I can just do what I want. YAY!

DH has gotten a call from the college where he used to teach. They have an instructor out with gall bladder surgery and they have asked DH to come in for a week or so and take over some classes. It has been nearly 5 years since he taught, but he didn't hesitate to tell them he'd help out. He'll have an interesting week!

Ok....just about time to head to boot camp. Make it a good Monday and don't look at the eclipse!!
  #2381   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 04:14

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey gal pals-

Ok- I need to totally fess- This last week, well the last 10 days has been a WOE nightmare. I have promptly put on 7 pounds, my face is as round and can be- and I feel the bloat clear down to my toes.

MISERABLE- I have not been this heavy is a LONG time. I just feel pasty and bloated. WTH was I thinking?
Yes that movie messed with me- BIG time.

If I ever though I could handle carbs again I don't know WHAT I WAS THINKING. then last night was just a frekin carb fest- off the rails bad. But it was totally VEGAN! F that. I learned the hard way.

Blue- I can see where your friend put on 25 pounds over night. It doesn't work and is not healthy.

I am back- 100% meat eater and accept it for what it is. HOWEVER- I have been doing some googling. There are BETTER options out there.
There are farms- that sell humanely treated grass fed animals. Grass fed is better. I will also go to Whole Foods for my chicken and fish. I do not mind paying a little more for better quality food.

I will be purging my kitchen again! Giving away all the VEGAN foods I bought- to the only Vegan in the office. Out goes the cans of beans, bags of rice, quinoa, veggie broth, carrots, hummus- eat. She should be a happy camper today.

Today I will do a shake fast- period. Tomorrow will be eggs and I picked up some cod. By then I should have made my way to Whole Foods for some real LC foods again. So glad to be back on track.

I will feel better when the bloat is gone. Unfortunately I have a friend coming to visit Thru- Monday. We have been looking forward to seeing each other for a year. She is flying in an will stay with me. She is thin and LC all the way. I am bigger than she will remember me- URGHHHHHHH HATE THAT......ya know 7 pounds makes a difference. Not only in how I feel physically but mentally too. I just didn't want her to see that. I wanted to be in top form- not carb recovery!
It is what is is-
OK- TRIG- I got it- Lesson learned.
So I did a little experiment only to crash and burn. Nothing to do but get back up and brush off. The thing is- I don't do something half way. All or nothing. So I am, all the way back!

AVA- update. Little miss thing is back on the vent. She got tired- so for her comfort they put her back on. They will be doing that- on and off- to build her up. She is doing GREAT.

Unfortunately- I was not able to help them with the dog. I just can't take in another pet in my apt. I just do not have the room, or the time to deal with a hyper big dog in my small space. Lucky a neighbor was willing. But the pet is sad they are not there. I sorta feel bad.

Ok- Sorry it was all about me this post. I am so very happy KMOM- you are doing well.

I will post personals later today- when I am hungry -
Need to shrink the tummy again. This is so not fun! Learn from my mistakes everyone! STAY ON PLAN-

Ok- time to go to office! 100% Today

Last edited by Jaz66 : Mon, Aug-21-17 at 04:20.
  #2382   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 04:49

BF:

Lori that is so cool hubby is covering....what class subject is he teaching? just curious.

of course you don't do tournaments to win anything you had me laughing on that...but you are so lucky you love it so much and gives you fun!

KM interesting about the site. Mine is steady and fine. Sounds more like hardware/software trouble on your 'puter, not the site itself. Glad you have are having a good time and doing well!

Blue, the couch grabbed ya huh? I like that!!
Alot of great series, you won't stay in a 'show hole' for long!!

Jaz, yea carbs bloat ya, well they did me nothing wrong with experimenting, we all go thru that, we ALWAYS want the carbs back and for some super sensitives, we can't point blank...you will be ok
Glad the baby is doing fine and all is settling into a good fashion for everyone. Very stressful for all. Smart tho not taking the dog, smaller apt and you work and best with someone else. gotcha on that one.

Hey everyone
be sure to watch the eclipse!

not much doing today
kiddo might have a friend sleep over tonight, not sure if it will happen but told her last time for sleepovers. She starts school next monday. Have to change from summer time schedule to school....boy oh boy will she be super tired the first week, I feel for her what is coming lol

bought a bunch of sale filet mignon. oh yea. dinner tonight and we will all enjoy that yummy meat
lunch I think will be cheeseburgers and maybe some sardines. been hankering on sardines again. just love them when I do and get off for a bit and back on a bit. eh, whatever, it all works for me

fab day all
  #2383   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 05:12

BF:

Trig....DH was a Forestry Professor, so not exactly sure what classes he'll be covering, but something to do with trees.

Jaz...give yourself a couple days and that bloat will be gone.

Boot camp was brutal. I'm in my chair drinking a cup of Electromix to replenish my electrolytes. Time to hit the shower and then dive into the laundry.

Have a great day!
  #2384   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 07:10

BF:

Very cool Lori about your DH. If I had to do some career it would have been nature and forestry etc like your hubby or horses.
I went into computers?? why, stupid I guess, well heck the money was there and it was easy so why not....but in the end I never followed the career type path I would have loved. So cool he does that!! lol
  #2385   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 12:20

BF:
Progress:

Good morning, all!

Computer is jumping again. Trig, yeah...I thought it maybe was my computer, but now don't think so since Nic and Blue have both experienced it also. Plus, none of my other sites are having trouble.

Lori: So cool that you go to boot Camp even after a break. You just do it! You should be the poster child for Nike! Just do it! Wish I had more of what you got in this area! Your DH's profession sounds so cool.

Blue: I am going to start Ozarks. I have been looking for a good Netflix series to start. Glad the couch "grabbed" you. You needed that! I am trying for 20 NC's, but sometimes hit 25 or 30. Plus I have had a few blips along the way. But still CapD!

Will post more later. Going soon to a meeting with the EP (Electro-Physiologist).
Closed Thread