Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2296   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 04:15

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Happy Birthday Blue

Got the internet guy here, after a bunch of crap ended with new modem and now things are going ok with internet.

Got caught out of the loop for a bit Seems the days are running away with me somehow LOL

Final bit of loading rv this morning in a bit and off we go....just 4 days at a SC lake. Lakefront campsite. Kayak, swim, fish, and a major relax in there

will catch up when I get back.

everyone take care and will chat up later. have a fab day guys!!
Sponsored Links
  #2297   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 07:07

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

It's your day Blue..... Happy, Happy!!
  #2298   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 08:21

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey now Trig, don't be a stranger just 'cause you are leaving. Send us a couple of vodka-infused posts!! LOL It was great to hear from you while you were gone and now we are all spoiled and have expectations and stuff!

BLUE- Well Happy Birthday, sweet girl!! You make all of us so happy.

Speaking of fancy shops and clothes etc- while at Lenox I went into the St Johns store. Expensive clothes, obviously. There were two women there, sales associates, and they literally did not look at or speak to me. Me in my denim shorts and tee shirt. I clearly look like someone who wouldn't be able to buy anything there. Would I have? No. Could I have? Absoutely. Don't judge a book by its cover, Sales Ladies! I was playing scenes from Pretty Woman in my head.

I am going to look up the book you mention: "Social Creature." I just finished The Last Mrs. Parrish and it was quite good. A solid four stars. I recommend!

Jaz- Sure did read your story and I thought it was a great one! I hear Phipps Plaza is even 'tonier' than Lenox. I did tour around Lenox a couple of times and then went back with my Mom to look for something for her to wear to the wedding. Got in over 13k steps yesterday, which was great- my first day of plenty of walking since the 'Chicago Incident' at the end of June.

Interesting thoughts about friendships that you shared. I find that for me, it becomes a DISTILLING process. I have a couple of high school friends that I am still very close to. A few college friends that I keep up with well and two of those I would spill my guts to. Several friends from the era of having kids that I am close to. I have plenty of 'friends' and a good handful of FRIENDS, and a few that are like sisters or siblings.

Religion- that is a tough one. For me, as I get older I tend to be more focused on the spiritual than the religious. Some people go the other way. The issue is that for people who truly believe in heaven/hell, they honestly feel really upset and anxious about your future. I have had that expressed to me more than once or twice. I try to understand that for them it is very real fear and it comes from a place of love from them about 'losing you' and never having you again in an after life. I may not share that belief but I can acknowledge the fear/pain... but that doesn't mean that I have to share the belief.

Lori- Glad your trip was much better in the second half. Now you get to just relax and enjoy your time.

Sending for now and will continue later- airport bound soon.
  #2299   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 11:31

BF:

Jaz, That is a good question and I like your response. People say "business is business and it's not personal" but when you get to know people and their life circumstances, it can most certainly feel personal.

Ethics can change, too. I bet most of us would say that we believe stealing is wrong. That being said, if any of our kids were starving we would darn well steal in a heartbeat to feed them, if that was the only choice that presented itself. Life has countless shades of gray. Of course, then, there are certain areas where there can never be shades of gray but that is a different discussion for a different time.

So I'm sitting here in the airport eating a bite. I'll be boarding my flight in about 45 minutes. Overall it was a good visit. There were some good times, I got to see overall how she is doing, condition of her home etc. My brother and I have a lot to talk about.

I have a Bunco Chicks hang out/ game night tonight. At the time that I said yes I hadn't changed my flight to be coming back today. I don't even get back til almost five PM. I may beg off.

Ok, so take care, everyone. See you on the flip side!
  #2300   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 18:32

BF:

A good day at the beach!

Started off this morning by having coffee on the balcony watching the sun come up. Lovely! Then it was off to the ball field at 8AM for a 9 o'clock game. It takes us about 20 minutes or so to get there. I watched the first game(they won) and then I came back to the condo for some "me" time. DH stayed with our daughter and family and then they brought him back here after the 2nd game at around 3:30.

We went out for another yummy seafood dinner and then stopped at the resort where our daughter, SIL & the boys are staying with the ball team. We sat on the beach and talked...it's a beautiful evening.

Now it's 8:30 and we're back to our little condo sitting on the balcony just enjoying the sounds of the waves and a little adult refreshment. I'm sure we'll be in bed early again so we can get up and maybe walk on the beach for sunrise tomorrow.

The ball players have tomorrow off, so it will be go carts, water park and who knows what else. Maybe tomorrow I will go down to our pool and spend some time in the sun. I got burned yesterday watching the games, so I tried to stay out of the sun today for the most part.

Nic...hope you had a good trip home.

Blue...hope your birthday was a happy one.

Jaz.....was it a typical Monday at work?

Trig...have a great few days camping!

G'night!
  #2301   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 04:56

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Nic- glad you had a good visit while you were here! Quick trip! How is your mom? She lives alone right? Does she have good neighbors?
I agree with you on the Heaven/Hell issue. People can just get fanatic about it.
This is a perfect Segway to a You Tube I was watching. It is called Common Ground. Ever seen it? It is worth watching one! So they take any topic- could be anything. Then they get 2 opposing view points. And it is a very structured thing- but they discuss the view point- whatever it is- then they look for common ground. It is very interesting. I watched one on Christainty vs Atheism. It was very fascinating. But they have all different topics, vanilla over Chocolate - it's the process of finding common ground.
Don't know how I regressed to that- oh yes..... Church- HAHAHA

So are you happy to be home? Awesome you got your steps in. I never moved yesterday!

BLUE- Hope you had a great Birthday! Can't wait to hear all about it. Your hubby was cooking right? Did you go anywhere?
I know you are busy- and busy is good.
I know the WOE- is not front and center in your mind. But it does sound like you have a plan any rate.

Trig- Hoping you CHECK IN........... Are you taking the Camper again? How long does it take you get set up?
That was a super fast turn around from the last trip! WOW
---------------------------------------------------
Hey all- I am not going to bore ya with the work jabber. It was as expected. She was believe it or not RELIVED to see me walk through the door. She told me it was a ROUGH week without me! She looked like crap too. Not that it matters, but she looked very tired and stressed. I ALMOST felt sorry for her. ALMOST

I am excited about getting my new washer and dryer. It's money we'll spent. I am still VERY SALTY over losing 4 grand on NOTHING. CASH I might add. What I could have done with 4 grand. Just glad it wasn't more. I need to move on from that! I now have a beautiful car- sighhhhhhh but 4 k!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

I am scale stuck- Lost a bit, and just stopped again! Frustrating. I feel like this muffin top is just expanding! I hate "love handles"- who in the HELL came up with THAT term?????? Seriously!

I went to Costco and got a huge piece of fish! Fresh Salmon- I like that fish. I go through spurts. I also have shrimp and another batch of chicken FRESH- in the freezer. I got a different brand that was already frozen and individual wrapped. Better that way.

Tomorrow is a pot luck at work. I am taking in meatballs- I can eat those. I bought those at Costco too. They are the chicken meatballs. I am not liking them- too high in salt. I just need to make time to do some home cooking here! I plan to make some hamburger soup after work tonight. Yesterday was a total wash- no free time.

I worked on my school writing until 9- when I turned on the TV to see the news. Then it was 10- and I thought about cooking or sleep. Sleep won!

Ok- all. I gotta run. I know today is going to be rough- I am doing reviews.
  #2302   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 07:31

BF:

Lori, your trip sounds wonderful so far. A lovely combination of family time and some down time too, all in a beautiful setting.

Jaz, I would be irritated about that 4K too. That is a LOT of money. Like you said, water under the bridge now, but I do get how you feel.

I BET that M was happy to have you there. No doubt you being there makes her life infinitely easier! She should just treat you that way!

I did just watch that Middle Ground episode. I thought it was okay, not great for me personally. It needed to be a lot longer. But dang that older guy was annoying as heck. I could talk to the younger Asian guy for a long time though. I will watch other episodes and see what I think.

I went to bed early last night. I was just worn out. Talked to my brother this morning about what we should or should not do etc and we aren't in agreement at the moment. However, we will be seeing my Mom in late August/ early Sept for the wedding and we will BOTH be here so that will be ideal. We will both have an opportunity to assess her and then come together to discuss what we see.

I've got MoW this morning and then will either mow the lawn or run errands. The Bunco Chicks thing is tonight, not last night, so I will go ahead and go to that.

Hugs to all.
  #2303   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 19:09

BF:

Hey Nic- You and I on here today!
HUMMMM-
Anyway- the Common Ground I found interesting not for the content per say but the format of it. I agree that older guy I wanted to strangle!!!!! HAHAHAHA- pompous. But I found the actual force facinating.

Wheres BLUE??????
  #2304   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 19:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the sweet birthday wishes. I had a pretty nice one considering I tripped on a rug the morning of my birthday, and fell hard on my left wrist. Severe sprain.

Had b'day dinner at my brother's last night, lucky me--- two doctors, a diagnosis and a wrist cuff, plus dinner and a nice float in their pool.

But hurts more today, and more swollen today. Hurts a bit to type, so will make this quick and be back for personals and more when this thing feels a bit better. Off to ice it again.

SO bummed about this. Can't do much, even though happy it's my left wrist. Still, turns out we use and need BOTH our hands. Can't do a thing around the house that requires more than one hand. Hoping the healing doesn't take long.
  #2305   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 20:40

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all!

Here it is another night with me not having much of any kind of energy, but I would have to say everything is going so well planning for the cruise! It is a tad overwhelming figuring it out for 20 people! But it is all coming together nicely. I have ordered a bunch of stuff with our cruise logo.

Sorry, Blue, about the fall. I, too, hope the healing does not take too long. I am tripping on just about everything nowadays. I almost expect myself to fall. I know that is not good, and I have plans to take down the meds after the cruise. Feeling lethargic and having pretty major unsteadiness seem to be the biggest side effects I am dealing with. But, I have a calm, regular heart! So I am thankful.

I will read back a ways and try to catch up, although my posts might be a little sparse for a while.

Holding my own on my woe. Gotta stay strong for those capris and JJill tops to fit comfortably!

K-Mom 10x4
  #2306   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 04:01

BF:

Good Morning!

Up at 5:30 just waiting for the sun to make it's appearance. I think sunrise is around 6:13 or so. We had another beautiful day yesterday. The boys and their Dad went to a water park ALL day and we took our daughter with us. We walked around Broadway at the Beach, which is a shopping, eating, entertainment area here in MB. We ate lunch at the Key West Grill and did some shopping. DD fell in love with a necklace & bracelet set, so I got out my CC and bought it for her. We never know what to buy her for Christmas, so I thought why not buy her something that I know she loves? Also bought some silly stuff for the boys and just had a nice afternoon.

Last evening we were still full from our big lunch, so DH just got a Jr cheeseburger from Wendy's and I had a piece of Swiss cheese and we called it a night. There also may have been a wee cup of ice cream involved.

We sure are going to miss sitting on the balcony just watching the ocean. This condo has been perfect for us. There is a washer/dryer in the bedroom closet(!), so I did some laundry yesterday morning. Handy! It has a lovely small kitchen with granite counter tops, an island with 3 bar stools on one side, a living room with a sofa & big chair with ottoman, a small but lovely bathroom with a nice tub/shower combo and the bedroom has a comfy queen size bed and we have been sleeping well. Of course, the balcony is our favorite feature.

Today DGS has a baseball game at 1, so we'll leave here around Noon. I think there is only 1 game today. Not sure what we'll get in to after that. I think there is a "glow" party for the kids tonight. Not sure what that is, but doesn't sound like something we'll be attending. There is no shortage of things to do around here. I'd like to go up to Murrell's Inlet about a 1/2 hour drive away. There is a restaurant called "Drunken Jack's" that is a fun place to eat. They also have a wooden walkway called the marsh walk that is fun to do.

Blue...I'm so sorry that you fell and hurt your wrist. I'm glad it was not broken! Yikes! I'm sure it's hard not to use it, even if it is your left.

KMom...glad all the cruise prep is coming together. You have really been working hard on all the plans. What a grand time you and your family will have.

Nic....I know how hard it is to try to take care of aging parents. Been there, done that. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made to keep them safe. Hope you and your brother can come together on a plan.

Trig...hope you're having fun at the lake! How could you not? I know you are in your element. Fun!

Jaz...I'm sure your boss was relieved to see you walk thru the door....to the MAX!! I often wonder what she did before you started working there? She is clearly in over her head. Hope review day went well.

Time for another cup of coffee.....sun is about to come up. Hugs to you all!
  #2307   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 04:45

BF:

Ohhhhh .....Noooo

Not good news from the Minnesota gals!!!! Urgh....

BLUE- I have never had a really bad sprain. But I have heard they are worse than a break. I'm sorry! I hope you feel better sooner than later. Do you have a follow up with your brother????
Or somebody? Did he tell you to take Mortin? Ice it for sure!

I know this is got to be a downer when you feel you have so much to do! Can you get so help? Maybe one of your gal pals that is close by come over for some packing help?
Did you get a wrap? The type with Velcro?

KMOM- It was nice to see you pop in. I am sorry you too are having a tough time! What do you mean you are falling everyday?
Have you seen a neurologist? That is concerning to read.

Glad your trip is coming together! hope you get to feeling better.

Lori- So glad you are having a great time! Nothing like a beach to calm the soul! When are you coming back?

Nic- guess it's me and you to hold down the fort for a minute! Are you back and rested fro your flight? So what do you think your mom needs?
Is your DS16 back yet? Summer is almost over for kids! I can't believe I am typing that- we are looking towards fall! Do you love fall as much as summer? I could use some heat relief.

TRIG- hope you are having a blast. It was just a last end of summer fling?
-------------------------------------------------------
So I had a gal just up and quit yesterday- no call no show. She was the one that took the job to get her pregnancy paid for- then took another 3 months after that for post partaum depression giving her pay for 6 months. Has been back to work for all of 3 months. Has called off sick 9 days in 2 months. I started the paper work yesterday to put her in a corrective action plan.

But she made it easy. Not however I need to spend some time thing morning dividing up her work. Not like she was super productive anyway.

We have a pot luck today- and then I have salmon left over for dinner with my cali-rice. I am going to look into a different type of shake. One without sweetener. I like the idea Of the shakes for a kick start to end this stall. I had issue with the last shake mix due to the sweetener.

So I am looking into that. I am not going anywhere this weekend.I am already looking forward to the weekend- it has been a long week, already.

Ok- gotta run!
  #2308   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 08:55

BF:

Oh Blue, bless your heart! That was not the birthday gift that anyone had in mind for you! Maybe the Universe is telling you to slow down a bit, kick back and read on the couch. Better listen up! xoxox

KMom, I'm sorry that you are dealing with the side effects of the medications still and they are causing you to feel unsteady. Do be careful! Falling would not be good at all. I wonder if a scopolamine patch or something would be good for you for the cruise, to help with the motion if you are already feeling unsteady on land?

Lori, loved the description of the condo so much! Glad you are having such a nice time. I agree that snapping that gift up for your DD was a great idea. It is always a good thing to get someone something that you know they like!

Safe travels back home! Are you doing it in two days again?

Jaz- We've still got a good bit of summer here- we are at about the halfway point. My kid doesn't go back to school until the very tail end of August. He comes back from camp this Saturday, and is off on his next adventure Sunday. Quick turn around!

My mom- there is just so much going on there that I don't know where to start and I am not likely to discuss it on this forum. I'll see if I can write up an email to you all in the next couple of days.

Well that girl planned her paid time and exit well, didn't she? Talk about working the system. Hope you have a good potluck!

••

I am off to get ready to meet a friend for lunch. We have a lot to catch up on- she has been to Quebec City and Montreal, and she also just took her DD to look at a bunch of colleges, so I will be pretty much draining her brain. lol

Got a crap ton done yesterday including the lawn and then time in the pool. Had a WONDERFUL time with my girlfriends last night. There was a new game involved, it was beyond naughty and we were nearly puking from laughing so hard. I feel like I was doing sit-ups today bc my abs are sore! I added the game to my wishlist to give to DS19 for Christmas. He will love it with his friends!

Dh is having his 50th bday on Friday!
  #2309   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 17:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi gals,

Trigger---OMG, I want to be there! LOVE the pix! What a great site and beautiful lake...which you can practically roll out of bed right into. Is the water as clear and pretty as it looks, IOW, good for swimming?

Lori---Been loving your pix too. Haven't be e-mailing back because of wrist but that's much better tonight. Those sunrises are beautiful---good thing you sent some to me because I haven't seen one in a long time. I'm the gal that catches the sunsets, but am in dream land on the other end. Your condo sounds totally fab. I always love the balconies the most too. Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Yep, from my google, sure is A LOT to do in Myrtle Beach.

K-mom---Sorry you're feeling so our of energy and unsteady on your feet. Glad to hear you're going to seek a reduction in the meds when you get home from the cruise. Say, do you have a cane? Hubby has a bad ankle and uses one whenever it is bothering him. Might be a thought to try one out, maybe bring one on the cruise? Nic makes a good point about the instability of seaboard. A cane could give you a third leg and some more stability. Something to think about.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on your GREAT cruise stuff. Love it! You guys are going to have a blast, and in those great t-shirts it won't every be hard to find each other in the crowd. When is the date you leave again?

Jaz---Whats w/these folks who quit by just not showing up? Don't they think they'll ever need a reference?! Although sounds like she wouldn't have gotten a good one from you anyway. I had a few employees do that when I owned my store. So rude. Did save me some days of pays though. Then we learned to hire older women, professional store clerks, tough old dames. Never had a problem after that. They were the best, miss them to this day.

Nic---Would love to hear more about your mom if you get the chance to write that e-mail. I may have some suggestions for you. Haven't heard the story but pretty sure I've been there, or at least in the neighborhood.

If you can also, e us and tell us the name of that "naughty game" that strained your stomach muscles from laughing. Sounds much more fun than a sprained wrist.

So, are you off to New York w/hubby this weekend? We'll need some pix you know? Who was it that said we're getting spoiled? Oh yeah. You.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news is my wrist is much better today. Yes, Jaz, been icing it 2 or 3 times a day. And yes, I have the wrist cuff. Tons of support and so helpful. I can tell it's better. No throb anymore, and I can actually pick up a few things w/my left hand as long as they're light. Swear, couldn't pick up a piece of paper on my birthday. Plus I can type again today without it hurting, have it totally propped on the table. But I'm not pushing it in any way. Babying the heck out of it.

Today I googled and from what I read, and the pix I saw, I would say it was more of a medium sprain as opposed to severe. Just felt severe on my birthday. But there is no bruising, good sign. And I can do many of the movements that indicate it is not severe. Thinking/hoping it will be OK in about a week, according to what I read.

And yes Jaz, today someone else told me her doc said a sprain can be worse than a break if it is severe, in terms of pain and healing. Looking at the pix on google helped me to understand what a sprain actually is---slight to major tears in the tissues surrounding your joints and bones. Major tears can require surgery, don't think that has my name on it. Oh please, let it be so.

Had my sinus scan today, and man was I a pool of nerves. I have pretty intense white coat anxiety anyway, and never had a CT before, but it was a piece of cake. Now, hoping the results aren't scary either. Something about having a pix of your brain taken that makes you nervous.

Anywho between the multiple b'day get togethers and the sprain, man, I have been off the chain on my woe. No binging, no extra snacking, and pretty good on portions. Just not good on LC. MUST pull myself back in. Can now feel it in my pants and increased muffin stop---must stop! Heh, I hear a cheer in my head. "MUFFIN TOP MUST STOP, MUFFIN TOP MUST STOP, POM POM POM POM, CARTWHEEL!!!! Haha, never have been able to do a cartwheel in my life.

I dunno gals, it's just a tough summer. No excuses I know, but there are some reasons I don't seem to be up to fighting it all right this minute. I was pretty teary all day yesterday after the glow of my b'day masked the wrist and other things. Have to say hubby has been a champ and got everything we needed to be done for our next guy who comes in to paint and fix things tomorrow. Of course, he's getting even skinnier with his efforts, which he can't afford, while I'm getting chubbier. Do not like this picture!

SIGH. Have to say, I'll be happy to have this summer move on and get on to the crisp fall, when hopefully, we'll be where we need to be with all this. It's a lot of stress, and I will love to kiss that good bye.
  #2310   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 18:17

BF:

Last night in Myrtle Beach. Sad in a way, but ready to go home at the same time. I am SO sick of eating! OMG.....I think I'll fast for 3 days(yeah right).

Grandson's team won big again today, so they are in the semi-finals tomorrow morning at 9 and then if they win, the championship game is at 1:30. He may also get picked for the All Star team that will play Thursday night, but we won't be here for that game. After the afternoon game, we will head for home. We plan to drive as long as we feel like it and then find a hotel for the night. We will then get up at 3AM on Friday and get up thru Wash DC etc before rush hour. From DC we have about 4 hours to home. We may drive all the way home Thursday night, but we don't like to keep driving when we start to get sleepy. Too dangerous. Playing it by ear.

I'm doing some laundry again and packing most of our stuff. I want to be able to enjoy some balcony time tomorrow morning before we head to the ball field at 8. We'll have to be all packed up and ready to go when we leave here in the morning.

It was so hot & humid today. Ugh! I guess the weather has been much the same at home since we've been gone. I'm signed up to play in a golf tournament this weekend(2 days), so hope it's not too dreadfully hot. I have to work a short 2.5 hour shift on Sunday night.

DH & our son & 2 of our grandsons are heading to upstate NY on Sunday afternoon to go salmon fishing for 2 days on Lake Ontario. They'll be back on Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Our 29th anniversary is on Sunday. Where does the time go? DH will be going fishing to celebrate and I'll be going to work! Exciting, right?

Blue...glad your wrist is feeling better. Hope it continues to improve each day.

Nic....you may have to bring that game to Charleston next year! Sounds like a fun time for sure.

Trig....loving your lake pics. What a perfect spot!

Jaz...sorry things at work are stressful. Having someone up and quit really messes things up. I'm sure you'll have things straightened out quickly. Will you have to hire a replacement, or will they make you just spread the work and not hire anyone?

Just looked at the clock and it's 8:15 already! Soon time for bed for me! When you get up with the chickens, you have to go to bed with them too!

Have a good night!
Closed Thread