Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 09:01
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Fiona: What a beautiful story. Clearly the Lord is sending you a special blessing of love which links the generations at this significant time in your family's life.

JustMe and Fit and Trim: Thanks for the birthday cake (really cute), and the birthday wishes and blessings.

Have to get back to painting and priming. We're in the midst of a kitchen remodeling project; doing it ourselves. Fun, but busy!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 12:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Fiona, that is a wonderful blessing bestowed upon you. I also had the same problem when growing up with my parents. When my mother divorced my papa she threw all his pics away, and the ones with the family in them she either would cut him out or ink pen him out. When he passed away a few years ago, his sister sent me all kinds of pics of him and me and his family. I was so thrilled about it. Since mom lives with me though I just down loaded them and also put them on a CD. I look at them when she is not around. It upsets her to this day having his pics around.
  #213   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/179.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Deb: How wonderful to finally get a picture of you and your dad. I recently went to a church seminar where they suggested that the way we saw our earthly dad, was the way we saw our heavenly father in many cases. Know that your heavenly father loves you very much and is proud to have you as his daughter.

Shalizbet: I have never been to the Canadian Rockies. I would love to. I did grow up at a fishing resort my parents operated in Ontario.

Only 3 more hours till my Gma gets here. I have to clean like crazy! I spent my morning vacuuming the pool and mowing the back yard. What a glutton for punishment!

My twin 5 year olds woke me up this morning and gave me the most darling birthday cards they had made. My little boy had written the word "WOW" and said, see mom, I spelled "MOM". Then they both proceeded to get the lotion and lufah and rubbed my feet. (Made a mess, but I will never forget their looks of pride.)

Have a great day!
  #214   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Stats: 187.5/179.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

P.S. - I don't know if any of you take any kind of medicine, but my family started a website that offers 90% off prescriptions. It's amazing when you see the mark-up on medicine! My husband has to take coumadin for blood clots in his leg. We save a bundle! Anyways, let me know if you're interested and I'll give you the web address.
  #215   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 16:24

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Dear Cleanheart,
Happy Birthday to you. It is so great that you saw past the mess. I'm sure your childrens hearts were just so full of love for you. Most of us would probably love a foot massage. God Bless, Maureen
  #216   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:23
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Kim: Would love to have the website address, but would also like to know the source of the drugs. How do you manage such a tremendous markdown! I actually had to go to Canada and have a doctor there prescribe for me in order to afford a drug that my insurance company wouldn't cover. I sure wish our government could help solve this. I'm afraid to think about retiring someday, 'cause I have to provide medical care for both myself and my DH (who is 75% disabled and takes a lot of meds). It's a scary prospect.

It's great to see all those little light bulbs on this evening! Do you think the song "This little light of mine . . ." applies here?! I hope we shine!
  #217   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:30

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Thank you, Kim. I checked it out, and will have check it out also.

His meds just continue to skyrocket. This month, of all months, they came to over $1200.00, and that at Costco. Have to find something different, 'cause that's too much work time for me. Since he's fully medically disabled, he'll be eligible for medicare soon, but they don't pay for everything he needs either.

Thanks 'sis' for the site!
  #218   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:42

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi all - nothing really to do with lowcarbing, except that I had my bacon and eggs before church - but it has been SO HOT here in Alaska. Was 82 yesterday (27 for you Canadians) and this morning it was over 70 already. We had all the church doors open, a fan going, and still people were fanning themselve with the service folders. Reminded me of when I was little, we had fans in every pew, usually provided by some funeral home, with scripture and garishly colored scenes from the holy land. Ah, like the song says "Precious memories" Bill
  #219   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:30

What no air conditioner?
Is it true that in Alaska a dozen eggs cost like $5.00?
  #220   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:15

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Actually a lot of public buildings DO have ac, tho it seems a bit silly since there are usually only 15 or 20 days a year when its really hot. And eggs are not that expensive, at least not here in Anchorage - more like 1.19 for the Safeway brand and 199 or so for the trick Naturally Nested organic ones. Out in the bush, or maybe out on the chain(Aleutian Islands) that might be closer to the truth. When I was a kid, that was more like the truth, and the main thing was, they were so awful. They had sat in some funky warehouse all winter and picked up all kinds of strange smells/tastes. Some people I know from that era still won't eat eggs. I'd be in a bad way without them, I get the best ones I can find now and really enjoy them. Bill
  #221   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:25

No kidding, that is very interesting. So do you live in the country, by water, or in town?
  #222   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:41

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hello everyone,

I feel a bit like a lurker these days. I've been so busy that I haven't had much time to participate fully.

I'll be praying for all of you. I'm thankful for your prayers, too.

I took 24 hrs off and ate nothing but pure junk. Went up 7 pounds and still haven't recovered. DH and I think it's still ok for me to have my breaks, but that I sure need to limit myself instead of slipping completely into sinful gluttony.

I getting ready to join a regular Tuesday prayer meeting that is centered around lunch. A local food ministry hosts it and feeds us, so my suspect is that the foods will be quite high carb. Think I may have to eat on my way to the meeting each week.

My anniversary is Saturday and I love any excuse to eat high carb. The timing is bad since I just did that big break last week.

Pray for strength for me to stick to my WOE all week in spite of these temptations.

I get great encouragement reading all of your posts. Its great that so many peope really love the Lord and are living their lives in a manner pleasing to Him and different from the world. Keep running the race that God has set before us. Eternity is just a "vapor" away.

God's blessing to all,
  #223   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:47

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

AKman,

I'd sure love to hear about Anchorage. My dad lived there and Iceland. He would have gone back to live permanently, however my mom is a "weenie." DH and I have thought it would be a place that we'd be happy living.

I live in North Carolina now, but was born and raised in Minnesota. I never minded the snow and cold, it's so beautiful that is was worth putting up with some inconveniences related to the cold.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:05

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Good morning everyone,

What a lovely weekend it was. Lots of blessings from the Lord: great service at church, one of my closest friends arrived for the wedding, and I lost a few more pounds

AK Man, Alaska is really beautiful, but the cold and dark in the winter were too much for me. We're trying to buy a house on the coast here in Oregon just because we like temperate weather. NO SNOW! We also don't like heat at all, so the few days it's in the high 80's over there would be perfect. I think all of you are truly brave and wonderful to put up with the weather and the mosquitos up there.

Randisue, this is a hard week for me to stay on plan, but I really want to, the weight loss has been gratifying, my clothes fit better, and if my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit then I'm pretty sure God doesn't want me to yo-yo my body chemistry all around. When I cheated, it did weird things to my system, and mentally I wasn't nice to be around either, just because I knew that I had strayed off of a path that God had directly led me to. The wedding dinner on Thursday has been planned long before I went to low carbing, and there is nothing but one of my own salads on the menu that we can eat. We're thinking about having some salad, then all the remaining 'adults' going out afterward for a steak. This is just MHO in the matter of 'cheating'. I'm still trying to figure out how not to have a piece of my son's wedding cake

See all of you later ~
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:59

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Fiona: Please tell us about the wedding!

RandiSue: Remember you have control over what you eat, and you are not at the mercy of a "food ministry" to eat what they offer you. I learned a long time ago that if someone is offended by what I choose to decline, than that is their problem and not mine. That may sound harsh, but you have done so well, RandiSue and you know what foods your body can react to positively more than anyone else knows. One suggestion is to bring some mock mashed potatoes, or a nice veggie tray. Even though it's a prayer group, and someone else is hosting it, you can always generously offer your help in bringing a dish. That way you don't need to eat before you go. Some unsolicited advice that I just had to get off my chest.

Alaskaman: You are one funny guy. I can picture everything you talk about. Keep those stories coming. About eggs, if you get them at Safeway, sometimes Safeway will take the good ones from the cracked cartons, and put them in oakglen cartons and sell them for 69 cents. You can also ask the dairy people if they have them in the back. Usually they do. Other than that, I bet you love your ANC Costco, eh?

I'm down another pound now, so it didn't take long to readjust tot eh 4# weight gain from Europe. Today it is a total 29# loss and I can feel it. I suppose losing slowly makes us appreciate all our efforts that much more, eh?

I wanted to share a site with you here that Nat from another link shared with me. It's so full of great food ideas, which I need right now!
http://www.atkinsfriends.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi

Hugs to all, Annie-Pie