Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepeta
VAgrrl, are you lowering your cals significantly on carb down and then raising them greatly on carb up? just raising and lowering the carbs isn't going to have the same effect.

edit* i just looked at your height. no wonder you aren't losing you are already underweight for your height. i think your body is probably telling you it doesn't need to lose anymore

what height/weight chart are you referring to, nepeta? I certainly don't look underweight and for most of my life I weighed 105 lbs. Was I thin? yes, but not imatiated or anything and I ate whatever I wanted. In fact, people used to comment about how thin I was and how I was a pretty hearty eater! ahh, the good old days

but my goal weight now is 15 lbs more than what I used to weigh, I don't think that's unrealistic

no, unfortunatley, I just don't see any positive results from carb upping, then going down into Induction, wish I did

I've been in strict Induction now for about two weeks and have really started to lose again
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 12:23

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Vagrrl, I would think a weight of around 130lbs or more would be a healthy weight for you.
Everyone's different though and if you feel comfortable and healthy at a lower weight then I can understand that. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or anything, but I get concerned when people keep thinking they need to be thinner when they are actually underweight. Eating disorders are all too common.

Like I said before, the carb cycling we are talking about here is not just upping carbs, it's also lowering and raising calories. From what you've said it doesn't sound like you are attempting what we've been discussing here.
  #213   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 12:33

Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

no harm done, nepeta

cheers!
  #214   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 12:52

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

right back at ya
  #215   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 22:02

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I've read 15 pages of posts, and it although it goes against everything I thought i knew about weight loss. I'm going to try it. I'm 5'6" 135 pounds (down from 164 pounds) just as vagirl and would like to get to 125. This is not underweight by many charts...I figure 100 pounds for the first 5 feet you are then 4-5 pounds for each inch above 5 feet. models are normally only 2-3 pounds per inch above 5 feet so I think not going down that much is a GOOD THING! ;-) You guys maybe right though and this may be an un-attainable goal for me at age 42 with a thyroid problem.

I've noticed the same thing as many of you all where after a binge (on low carb foods or not) I ended up lower the next day....it is worth a try...and I've not gone above 40 grams of carbs in 6 months....keeping it near 20. Well..we will see how it goes..I'll keep posting my results!
  #216   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 23:42

Stats: 260/213/199 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'd like to try this, but I don't know if I have that much control over the calories I eat. I always eat when I'm hungry, or else my blood sugar goes low and I'm ravenous. And I can never seem to eat when I'm not hungry. So my calories really depend on how hungry I am, usually 1600-2400. I'd like to do the cycling, but I'm worried I'll be hungry some days and stuffed others.
  #217   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 07:05
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

zipetydoda: Hope this is what you're looking for. I do think that you're going to find any weight loss difficult, by this or any other plan.

caligrrl: On carb up I am never hungry, because I eat if I am. However, sometimes on carb down I DO get hungry. I've had such great results, though, that I don't want to mess things up, so I just gut it through. I might have a half slice of cheese, or a slice or two of bacon, or 1/2 a protein shake, etc., something very low carb but very satisfying to get me to the next meal. Sometimes I just have a cup of chicken broth which will tide me over just long enough. You're going to want to use higher numbers, maybe 1600 or so on carb down and 2200 or so for carb up. Good luck to you if you decide to try it!

Personal note: Still doing my metabolic adjustment, Was up four days last week, gained 3 pounds, went carb down Sun and yesterday, lost 3.5 pounds to a NEW LOW of 148!! Starting carb up today. Woo Hoo!
  #218   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:22

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

LCAnita,
I haven't checked out this thread for a while, but I just saw that you're doing the Curves Metabolic tuneup.
A few days ago I decided to start the Tuneup in a couple weeks. My weight loss has slowed considerable and after cutting calories back with no more loss, I figured it was just what I needed. My inlaws are coming to stay with us soon, but after they leave I decided to give it a try. My metabolism should pick up in time for the holidays, which cant be a bad thing! Then I'm going to go back to Phase 1 and then 2 after christmas.
Let us know how it goes - remember not to stay on Phase 1 levels for more than 3 days!

To anyone who's skeptical but in a stall, I HIGHLY recommend trying the curves metabolic tuneup. Like LCAnita said, it's not going on and off LC, it's just increasing your healthy carbs and calories to get your metabolism revved up.
  #219   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:24

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

Anita

you and i are the same height. would you mind telling me what size you are wearing at 148? thanks.

i am rethinking my goal weight. i am wearing smaller sizes LC and at 157 my size 10s are getting a bit loose. i never expected to see a size 10 and am thrilled but now am wondering if I should reset my goal to 145.

thanks
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:49
Thank You Dr. Atkins

asalvato: Sure, be happy to! I'm wearing medium tops and size 10 jeans. They fit perfectly. I tried on probably a dozen pairs of jeans last week and virtually ALL of the size 10 fit just right! I tried on a couple of dresses yesterday that were 10's, and they were a bit snug (but, I bought a size 8 dress last week that is just barely tight, go figure!)

As you can see from my bodyfat% (my current one is a month old, I'll be getting a new one done this week at Curves), I still have a considerable amount of fat to lose. If you are heavier than I am, but smaller and the same height, you probably have a much better bodyfat%, i.e. more muscle, and that is GREAT!

I would like to lose my last 13 pounds, which I think will take me down one more size. After that, I'll do the rest with exercise. At least, that's what I'm thinking for now. We'll see...

As an aside: I really do think I could be happy at my current weight indefinitely. I look and feel SO much better and am enjoying wearing stylish clothes. BUT, I think I will be healthier and look/feel even BETTER down one more size.

#221   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 10:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

Anita,

Thanks for the information. I was pretty sure I was wearing about 1 size smaller than my weight but it isn't all muscle, i just carry my weight strangely. i have heavy lower legs which look OK in pants and mid-calf skirts but awful in a bathing suit, shorts, or shorter skirts. it is genetic as most women in my mother's family have the same problem. also i don't have anyplace that is really thin--some folks have a thin face and neck or thin arms or shoulders or something even if they are heavy. my weight is everywhere with the extra in the lower legs. I think 145 would put me in a size 8 and i am seriously considering going down to that weight. But first I am going to drop the 2 pounds to get me to my original goal.

After my 8 higher carb/calorie days due to stress eating, i went back to a low cycle on Sunday. All is going well. I find that cutting out snacks really helps me tremendously.
  #222   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 10:25
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Hey, you're welcome. I would definitely stay as high as I could and still feel healthy and look good.

At 185 I was definitely a pear, but my weight has come off nicely , so I don't have any particularly thin or fat areas anymore. Your explanation makes sense about why you are smaller.

#223   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 11:50

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hello Anita and All,

Thanks for the input...and yes...weight loss for me at this point is slow and painstaking. Now I'm contemplating cutting out one of the 2 aerobic tapes I do each day m-f to a light jog....never seen a fat runner have you?

I wish I could stay at this weight but, I am a pear and my legs look thick in shorts and dimpled, bathing suits are a nightmare. My thighs are 23-1/2 inches and I would like o get down to 21" my measurments are 36-26-39 ....so I would really like to get in proportion.

I'm 2 days from TOM so maybe I should wait until after that is over to begin? what would my up carbs/cals look like Anita? I am really looking forward to doing this!
  #224   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I was a fat runner.

I gained 30 pounds in two years running 10k 3 times a week. I get soft and fat when I run too much.

The only thing that changed my body around was low-carbing and heavy weightlifting with moderate cardio.

My .02

Good luck!
  #225   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:42
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Hi Built! I was wondering when you would put in your .02 worth on this thread. Your input is always welcome.

doda: Yeah, weight training. I do Curves. OK, it's not serious lifting, but you should see the muscles I've developed and the way my body has streamlined. That is definitely NOT just from LCing. Doda, I'm not sure anyone should go lower than about the levels I'm using, which are 1200/under 20 and 1600/about 50 for the cycles, even though you are somewhat lighter than I am. Sometimes I go a little higher, especially on carb up, but I am RIGID on carb down!

Another thought, your weight really looks good, perhaps you could accomplish your goals JUST with weight training? Have you considered that? You know you can't tell your body where to lose the fat, but you CAN isolate muscle groups with exercise. Perhaps eliminate one of the aerobic tapes and add weights? Built could tell you more about that.