Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1861   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 10:58

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Last edited by sollyb : Mon, Feb-06-12 at 11:03.
Sponsored Links
  #1862   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 09:58

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 126/129/128 Female 5'7.25"
BF:
Progress: 150%

solly,
I just had to laugh when I saw the site you posted! How many times have I heard that!! However, when I was thinner and felt better, they said I was too thin. When you think about it, people have some nerve but I guess they are just making conversation.
  #1863   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 10:04

BF:
Default Fitday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
I wonder if it was fitday?
Think I will take a look at that today. I would like to get a ballpark of how much vit A, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and of course the other key vits I am getting via food.......I could do it by looking up each food and figuring the amounts, but that would take all day, LOL.
sol

Yes, it was. A friend told me it is part of the free program. I signed up but can't find the data section.
  #1864   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 22:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGogh
Yes, it was. A friend told me it is part of the free program. I signed up but can't find the data section.

I am having trouble learning to use it......I found I had signed on a long time ago, and remembered choosing between FitDay and My P.L.A.N., which is what I ended up using as it was so much simpler.
Now that it would really be helpful to have the additional nutritional info FitDay provides, it still may prove too complicated for me.
sol
  #1865   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 13:56

Plan: Paleo/Ray Peat
Stats: 125/128/130 Female 72in
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone!
I'm new here, but I've been researching diet and nutrition for a few years now. Mostly been eating paleo/primal, but this past week I've run across Ray Peat's work, and the past 5 days I have started his eating plan.
I have multiple sclerosis, and am SO encouraged to see that he actually has written a few articles on MS and they all make SO much sense and explain pretty much what happens in the body that causes MS to manifest, and also how to fix it!

My question is, where do I get pure pregnenolone powder from? I know Ray has that Progest-E for progesterone, but I wanted to try pregnenolone first since it seems like the sort-of "master" hormone, along with also supplementing with bison thyroid gland (just started that today!).
I found some on one website, but this is what they emailed me when I asked if it is pure pregnenolone: "Our pregnenolone powder is pure, no fillers or additives. Pregnenolone is synthesized from a compound in Wild Yam called diosgenin. We hope this is helpful."
http://www.easycart.net/BeyondACent...al_Support.html (scroll down to the P's)
Is that good or not? Any other suggestions? What do you all use?
  #1866   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 10:02

Plan: Gaps/Peat
Stats: 115/126/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

Has anyone tried the STTM direction of taking larger amounts of thyroid (crushed up if it's Armour) to alleviate Hashimoto's? I avoided Armour b/c I wanted to fix myself by diet only, but since Peat is so warm to it and progesterone (which I've started too), I'm willing to try it. Pregnenolone is next after accomodating thyroid. I think that's the direction he implies.

Armour at 1 and 1/2 grains messes w my hair falling out. I want to try 3 tablets, but hopefully someone can comment on that first?

With Peat/Stone/Roddy influenced eating (and my interpretation of course), here's been the good and the bad.

Good: Calmer (mentally), cravings are gone (can eat sugar and caffeine without wanting more), period more normal (significantly less clots -guessing carrots are eliminating excess estrogen), regular bathroom movement, no migraines (even when I push too hard and would typically get one).

Bad: Still tired, can't sleep (wake up at 2-4, not anxious and not needing to pee), ANGRY pinples (on scalp, temples, chin, neck), weight gain (it is more proportionate, but I can still push my belly out to 'not normal' size) and dulling of thinking processes. MANY secondary infections (gum, chest, privates), a weird crinkling sound in my ear canal that's worse when theres noise), no libido.

If this is transition, I'll deal with it. But should transition take this long? It's been 2 months.
  #1867   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 11:42
Registered Member

Stats: 210/220/220 Male 73 inches
BF:15 percent
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCasas

Armour at 1 and 1/2 grains messes w my hair falling out. I want to try 3 tablets, but hopefully someone can comment on that first?

With Peat/Stone/Roddy influenced eating (and my interpretation of course), here's been the good and the bad.

If this is transition, I'll deal with it. But should transition take this long? It's been 2 months.

Have you had RT3 tested? You should perhaps be taking ONLY T3, or at least having small amounts of T4 and more T3.

Have you tried Natrexelone? Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)? That seems to work miracles for some people with Hashimotos and real miracles for some people with Multiple Sclerosis. Worth investigating: http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/
  #1868   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 12:15

BF:
Progress:

In April/2011 In Oct/2011
TSH: 1.78 (normal) TSH: .03 (low)
T3 Free: 2.0 (low) T3 Free: 4.3
T3 Total: .68 (low) T3 Total: 1.72 (normal)
T4 Free: 1.19 (normal) T4 Free: 1.31 (normal)
T4 Total: 7.1 T4 Total: 7.1 (normal)

And all my Eptein Bar counts (IgG, EBNA and antigen) are sky high. At least back in April.

So I was not converting T4 to T3 back in April, but more or less in October. Starting Peating/Stoning (ha ha) in December.

Naltrexone need a script, and I took a break from docs, even naturopaths.
  #1869   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 13:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My question is, where do I get pure pregnenolone powder from? [url
http://www.easycart.net/BeyondACenturyInc./Hormonal_Support.html[/url] (scroll down to the P's)
Is that good or not? Any other suggestions? What do you all use?

That is the one Ray Peat sent me a link to so he must approve of it, lol.
It is the one I am using. However, it might be a good idea to take a little Progest E in addition. Because my personal opinion is that when hormonal problems are present (I include thyroid in this) the conversion pathways may not be functioning properly.

My experience is that I had a lot of excess estrogen, so it took a while for progesterone to really work, and at first it made me feel worse. For some women Dr. John Lee said it can take 2 months or more for progesterone to really begin working. So if/when you do try it, give it at least that long.

My experience also was that when I started progesterone I had to reduce my thyroid (T3 only) dose. So it doesn't seem to me like a good idea to be increasing thyroid dose while starting either progesterone OR pregnenolone.
Doing too many changes at once really confuses things. I had been taking pregesterone for at least a couple years before I started the pregnenolone powder. I don't think it necessary to wait that long, it was just that before Peat told me about the pure pregnenolone powder, I had such bad side effects from it that I couldn't take any.
sol
  #1870   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 13:54

BF:
Progress:

Are you taking progesterone (I have cream) throughout your whole cycle? Or just days 14 on?
  #1871   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 23:31

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

KCasas, are you saying those 'bad' symptoms have increased eating this way. If so, that is just wrong!
  #1872   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 08:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCasas
Are you taking progesterone (I have cream) throughout your whole cycle? Or just days 14 on?

I had a hysterectomy 23 years ago so I don't have cycles. I take progesterone daily, every day, no breaks. I've no experience at all of using any hormone while cycling. I arrived at my current way with much experimentation over the past couple years.
Peat does say it should not be necessary to take progesterone forever, UNLESS one has no ovaries, which I do not.
sol
  #1873   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 09:10

BF:
Progress:

The last two months I had something particularly stressful (preparing for and taking 72 hour doc exam w everything on the line), so that may be underlying some of it. I stupidly played w Armour the week before then stopped altogether. I wanted more focus.

Also, having stayed away from carbs so long, I figure there will be a time period of having to adjust. Between oj (realized the fruit material not sitting well, even after straining thru cheesecloth), milk (sloshy stomach after), fruit (dried, sometimes w sugar but no sulfur, eaten w salty cheese), cornmeal, potatoes, rice, brown rice 'bread' products, I'm hoping to find a balance of what I will tolerate. I have Lupus, but no flares for 10 years +, and have always had issues with feeling (or maybe just acting) 'calm' but my body takes the brunt of it.

"Too much at once" has always been my life's motto, it seems.

The infections have always been underlying, but really manifested the day after I submitted the test. Slept well yesterday, and my basal temp went up to 97.8 (from 97.0 during testing) just by making my husband hold me all night.
  #1874   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 09:38

BF:
Default PHD and Peat

"Also, having stayed away from carbs so long, I figure there will be a time period of having to adjust. Between oj (realized the fruit material not sitting well, even after straining thru cheesecloth), milk (sloshy stomach after), fruit (dried, sometimes w sugar but no sulfur, eaten w salty cheese), cornmeal, potatoes, rice, brown rice 'bread' products, I'm hoping to find a balance of what I will tolerate. I have Lupus, but no flares for 10 years +, and have always had issues with feeling (or maybe just acting) 'calm' but my body takes the brunt of it."

KC I'm not sure where you found these guidelines but Peat doesn't include brown rice. Without looking up the article right now, I remember his saying we can include masa corn, potatoes, white rice.... In order of best to least desirable... The masa corn is the only corn product I recall his thinking is ok. Some people do eat a potato a day. But these starches are not core to the plan. Peat recommends fruit over starches and shows the reasons why in his articles.

I started out with a couple of tablespoons of oj added to carbonated water. After two months, I'm up to making my glass half juice and half CO2 water. No way could I drink straight juice. I cook frozen peaches or cherries and make those into orange jello. My latest jello just boiled over while I was writing this....

It sounds like you were following Jaminet which I used to do before going Peaty. I find Peat's research more compelling though I got to Peat through the PHD website and will always be grateful.
  #1875   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 11:20

BF:
Default vitamin/mineral detailed nutrition info

HAH! Don't have to use FitDay after all.......

I looked around at My P.L.A.N and found that detailed nutritional info IS included! This is really good for me because I have quite a few recipes and custom foods and I wasn't looking forward to having to re-enter all of them into FitDay. Not that FitDay isn't a great program/site.......but now I don't have to go to all that work, plus I still hadn't figured FitDay out.
YAY!

Edited to add:
The detailed nutritional info can be viewed as a list of nutrients for one day, or for a several day or a month period. Can also view just one selected nutrient over a period of time as a graph.
sol

Last edited by sollyb : Tue, Feb-14-12 at 11:54.