Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-11, 12:05
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerh
At least we're all human and if it were easy it wouldn't be a challenge, right?

Exactly!!!!

People keep telling me that I'm crazy eating this way and that I'm not going to eat the cakes and chocolates and sweets that are constantly brought into the office. At the end of today, I heard THREE people say that they had stomach cramps and went a bit crazy yesterday because of all the chocolate and cake they ate, and one more person said how they felt a bit sick today for eating the left overs!!!!!

I sat in silence smiling smugly to myself
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-11, 16:30

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just checking in. Things have been going pretty well for me up until today. I've been eating more fruit than what I usually would in a given day, but but my daily carbs are still probably below 60-70 and I have been doing a lot of walking. Not sure if it was for lack of eating enough yesterday or maybe the peach I blended into some coconut milk earlier but I can't stop eating today. Not as much a craving, I just can't seem to get full, it's how I feel after I've had a glass of that evil Crystal Light. Just going to drink some more water and a cuppa green tea, hopefully it passes soon.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 05:43
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Good morning,

I had a perfectly compliant day yesterday, heading into week 2 with confidence. I didn't eat until noon, finding it easy to prolong my hunger until I was good and ready to eat. I love it when that happens with ease!
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 21:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Oh crud. I've been doing fine, but I just finished my regular Saturday night out wings (made with Frank's hot sauce - I've checked the ingredients) and realized that the sour cream was off limits. Didn't even think of it.
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 05:37

Plan: Paleo/Whole 30
Stats: 240/240/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love grains, but they don't love me back.

I have Celiac disease and it has all but destroyed my digestive system. However, I still love the taste and satisfaction of cereal, pasta and bread. I can cut out sugar and most other high glycemic carbs, but cereal and bread are especially tempting, even though I should know better. Even celiacs fall off the wagon sometimes and the worst part is that it doesn't always immediately make you feel bad. For some people it is a "silent" disease and it many times not diagnosed until after it has damaged the small intestine. My celiac was like that until I was almost debilitated by chronic digestive problesm, skin rashes and aches and pains all over my body. But even then it is tough to give up grains. I read somewhere that grains have certain properties that make then addictive or at least give your a good feeling after eating them--almost like drugs or alcohol is with some people. So it's tough, because I grew up eating cereal and toast almost every morning for breakfast and I love it. I can give up just about anything else with no problems, but it is tough to give up my comfort foods. So this forum and the Whole 30 challenge is very helpful. I have been doing a lot of research about paleo eating and started a blog, if nothing else for my own personal encouragment.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 05:51
Paleo and proud!

slimmersue, I don't have Celiac disease but what you say is very familiar to me. I grew up eating toast and cereal for breakfast, sandwiches, pasta, pizza etc for lunch and dinner, but I would eat beyond what my body needed because I had an addictive response to the stuff. I feel lucky now, after 3 years of trying, I don't have cravings for these things any more. In fact, pasta which was one of my favourite things to eat, now seems like tasteless stodgy mush to me!!

Day 10 of the challenge and I am still completely clean. I don't think I've ever lasted this long without doing something off plan before. Last night I turned down alcoholic beverages! Woop!
  #172   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 10:23

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Red face Whole30 Karma! Watch out!

Whole30 Karma is alive and well!

I went out for supper last night with a friend. I was very careful with my food choices to best comply with the Whole30 Challenge, but I can't vouch for every ingredient. Well, Whole30 Karma caught me...the chair I was sitting in had chili sauce/oil spilled on it! Because the chair was an orange leather, I couldn't see the spill, and sat right in it. Oh my gosh! Imagine what that looked like on my pants! I had to keep my back against a wall at the restaurant, and my friend walked right behind me as we walked home, so as to cover my hinny from view! I can't get the stain out of my pants either.

Lesson learned! I will stay home for the rest of the month and eat my own carefully prepared food! No more restaurant experiments! I don't have a lot of pants!
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 16:32
Paleo and proud!

Hahahaha But hopefully you will be buying some new pants by the end of the 30 days??
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 08:53

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

Yeah, this month has been rough! I slipped during the 4th and have had a hard time getting back. Personal stress in my life has had me craving sweets/carbs. My weight jumped a couple of lbs but actually down a lb from pre-4th. Back on track - if my stomach will let me.
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 00:47
Paleo and proud!

Happy Thursday everyone! We're coming to the end of the second week. How has it been for you?

I am surprised that I haven't cheated even once. Not even a sip of wine or a bite of chocolate. Not even a tomato! I haven't accepted any food that hasn't conformed 100% with this challenge (eg declining meats that are pumped with starches and unpronounceables).

I have been weighing myself however. I lost 5lbs to begin with then put a little back on once I started exercising again. Last week I was 185.2lbs, went up to 186.8lbs and now I'm at 185.6lbs. I have also had a stressful week at work so my cortisol levels are probably a bit screwy, despite my best efforts to keep calm. I am actually not so concerned about the weight anymore but rather my measurements, strength and fitness.

Keep up the good work everybody!!
  #176   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 01:28
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

This week has been good, but yesterday I fell into some sugar/almond/honey confection (I blame the hormones - I could have devoured a bar the size of a small child). I kept it to a small window and then that was that. I'm over it now and in what could be my final week since I started early. I can see q difference in my body over the last week so I'd like to stick to this way of eating. I have my birthday/anniversary meal next week and then a week and a half (back on plan?) before I go on holiday.

I'll take weights and measurements just before the meal, just in case!
  #177   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 07:04
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

OK, so here's what's odd.

Background: When I went to the dermatologist (long time ago)the rash on my ankle is yeast based, they didn't know what it was and the creams they gave me never helped, so I don't use them anymore.

I've been eating meat and lower carb veggies for the last couple of weeks. I've been avoiding eggs, yams and fruit, except some strawberries - no change in my ankle rash issue and in fact it gets worse seemingly randomly. Last couple of days, decreased the meat & veggies, increased yams and fruit and added eggs - ankle rash subsiding. Why?
  #178   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 07:26

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

That is an odd reaction! No yeast anywhere else? I know if I have too much caffeine I get yeast issues but I also take probiotics daily. My dog, no offense here, has developed a yeast skin infection which we are treating with supplements and diflucanazole. Her skin is clearing up. Doc said she may have picked something up on her paws, licked, and it spread into her intestines. She is on probiotics, vitamin E & C, fish oil, & Lysine-L. It has made a huge difference.
  #179   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

Nope, no yeast anywhere else. I used to have issues right before my TOM, but no longer since cutting wheat.
  #180   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 08:24

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

We're at the halfway point folks! How's everyone doing? Tigerh, I was having the same problem you were, but fortunately held back...I was fantasizing though about buying every kind of chocolate bar I had ever liked and just CRAMMING them into my face...I think that fantasy actually kind of grossed me out, and stopped me!

I have had my slip ups though, most noticeably the inclusion of 99% chocolate in a mix of nuts...I've done this several times.

Still, I'm amazed that I could completely cut dairy and artificial sweeteners. I know I've lost several pounds...I was at least 182 when I started, and I weighed today (I know I'm not supposed to, but I did anyway!) and I'm 172.

I really want to be below 170 by the end of this challenge. If it's 169.5 I'll be delighted!