Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up Home safe and sound!

Hi dear LC friends...

We returned home early**early this morning from our trip to Europe. I could write a story, but want to share some highlights.

After reading your testimonies of how you've seen God provide day-in and day-out, it has encouraged me. No wonder Paul says we are to encourage each other in His love! I love reading about where you all are in life. So, here's a little how my own family has been blessed.

We had the most awesome trip and saw so many sights with our host son and his family. On our return home we were stranded in Munich for 4 days after my hubby got the last seat out. The airline employees had compassion on us morning after morning as we were denied seating (we fly standby).

When we were denied, the only other passenger in our shoes was a fedx employee who lives in Memphis. Ginger and us became dear friends, sharing a room in a hotel--the hotel overlooking cobblestone streets in a town called Friesing, where church steeples from 1200 rang their bells in praise to God every 15 minutes. The new friendship, the hotel--all blessings because God gave us a plan b instead of the one we hoped for. I wonder how many times in life have I personally denied His loving on us because we wanted things, as Sinatra used to sing, "our way."?

On the third morning, a special employee (angel???) gave us Avian water and coke. (It is so hot and humid in germany, and no water fountains. You have to pay 2 Euros for a small bottle of carbonated water). The 4th morning, he came up to us with juice, cups and water again. He asked if I wanted chocolate and I gave him the look all you ladies would give him. "You're asking a woman if she wants chocolate?" The gentleman disappeared to a nearby shop and returned with candybars for all. (We weren't concerned about LC'ing at this point).

He later came up to us on the aircraft after boarding with a bag of chocolates from the leftover Euros we gave him as we tearfully (joyfully) departed. Then again with souvenirs for our girls. He had touched my heart so much, I was tearful and gave him a hug! He shook our daughters' hands and looked at us as if he could see through us.

You tell me, how has God blessed you? I hear about tire changing moments, births after losing babies, and I see the Plan B's in our lives ordained from His loving hands. All because God doesn't fit into our little boxes. Thank Heaven for that!

Just wanted to share my stories of how God came through, as He always does. One final note: being stranded, although it left me in quiet tears after 6 days total, gave us opportunity to lovingly share our faith. Businessmen and other passengers would approach us and ask why we were still there. I would reply, "God doesn't make mistakes." This opened the door to share how the Lord blesses us with his presence in the most unplanned ways. All attitude, as Swindoll says.

Yes, I'm glad we're home, even after being stranded for 2 more days in Atlanta (I LOVE the south, and oh how we wanted to worship at a church in Atlanta)!

We walked about 5-8 miles most days, so the little weight gain I credit to muscle building. The breads we ate were mostly topped with tasty cheeses and meats. One food item they fix in Deutschland is to slice tomatoes. Put a thick slice of Mozzarella on top, cover with basil, and nuke til warm. Another food item which I don't think of doing usually is to slice hard boiled eggs lengthwise, cover with basil or chives and enjoy. Sorta like deviled eggs. Simple and wonderful with meats and cheeses.

I know this isn't too much about LC'ing, but it is about encouraging each other as we seek God's best in our lives. Today, I encourage each of you to not put God in a box. Color outside the lines. I woke up in the morning after being stranded, and said, "God, what adventures do you have for us today?" Whether you're LC'ing, working, running a household or going through the dailies in life, trust God for what He has for you. Really trust. You'll see him in ways unexpected. And he'll do it because he loves you, not whether you "deserve it or not".

Hugs to you all, Annie-Pie
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:33

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Welcome Just Me,

What a wonderful testimony and eye-popping stats. It does us all good to hear personal stories of God moving in our lives. It's a wonderful journey you've begun!!

Sounds like God has done a lot in your life in a short period of time - got you on the fast track. I will give you one more challenge. I don't know your whole story but I ask that you would read what God says about divorce. (Look up divorce in your concordance) You know He's a God of miracles, so read and trust him for what He says in His Word.

Again, welcome.
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:38

BF:

OH Annie-Pie!!! Welcome Back!!!

How great to see the wonderful things that God has done for you while in Deutschland. Our God is such an awesome God. Thanks for sharing with all of us so that we can get some of the blessing, too!

I have good news. God gave me the go-ahead to begin putting together New Life Christian Ministries in Hickory, NC. I started making contacts today. This will be a ministry to the poor and homeless - food, clothing, housing, and hopefully education. Without saying everyone will get the Gospel! :-)

I rejoice in the Great and Mighty God we call Father.
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:36
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

SherylH: thanks for the prayers; I am keeping this thread (chain) in my prayers as well. I guess it's better to just hold on through the stall, although my stall is going to be further disrupted as I have several things happening in the upcoming weeks. Tomorrow is a special occasion day for me and I am taking the evening off. Back on Thursday a.m. Then on the 18-20th I will be taking a rare vacation with DH and two sons; we don't often all get to get away together. I don't plan to go "hog wild" but there is definitely a pizza in that three day period someplace, and probably a few other indulgences. After that, I'm game to fight the good fight until Christmas Day. Thanksgiving never makes it too hard for me to stay on a healthy plan: turkey and veggies are fine by me. I expect, though, to have even more trouble with weight control when I have foot surgery on the 27th. That will curtail my activities and make it harder to lose. I had so hoped to be at maintenance by then, but I'll just have to accept what the Lord sends.

Welcome JustMe! What a great salvation story! And a wonderful tale about God's miraculous provision of just what we need. Glad to have you here.

Kim: happy to see you still singin' away! Are you really musical? Vocally or instrumentally or both?

Annie Pie: Thanks for sharing your wonderful travel testimonies! Thank you for reminding us that God is so much bigger than we can imagine.

RandiSue: I will pray for your ministry.
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/179.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Shalizbet: Yes, I am a vocalist. (Mostly on the praise & worship team at church - but I have done some recording on children's Bible story videos.) - The main reason for the "song" in my heart though is because my husband and I were at the brink of divorce with 4 kids under the age of 10. There had been infidelity on my husband's part. - I was ready to walk away but I knew it was not what God wanted me to do. When I prayed and asked the Lord how I would get through this hurtful time in my life, His answer was - "With Your Song!" - There is power in praise & worship that defeats what the devil would try to destroy.

To make my story short - I am still married to my husband and love him more than ever. The trust is being rebuilt and "God has put a new song in my heart!"

Sometimes we get caught up in our own "agendas" and what WE want to do. - I have learned to give my agenda over to the Lord and trust He knows what He has planned for my life. I believe He walked through the "valley" with me so I in turn can help others walk through their own valleys.

Annie-Pie: I am so excited you have come to this thread. Before I ever logged on, I read a post you had written. You were so encouraging that I decided I had to learn how to "subscribe" to a thread. - I have since tried keeping an eye out for you. - I am glad you are on! What a beautiful picture. I look forward to getting to know more about you and "encourage" each other.

Blessings!
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins off and on
Stats: 317/163/150 Female 66
BF:"I'm melting!"
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by randisue
Welcome Just Me,
I will give you one more challenge. I don't know your whole story but I ask that you would read what God says about divorce. (Look up divorce in your concordance) You know He's a God of miracles, so read and trust him for what He says in His Word.

Again, welcome.

I don't need that challenge randisue, as you are correct, you don't know my whole story. Do not take that the wrong way, but don't assume I haven't looked up divorce either! This is NOT something to be taken lightly by ANYONE, Christian or non-believing. I may have only VERBALLY acknowledge my Savior last summer to be Born Again in that sense, but I have been a Christian all my life while living a Christian life.

I almost divorced this man after 9 years of marriage, but tried again, as I believe in the institution of marriage and really tried to work this out. I've been through the bible on it, as well as taken in MUCH guidance from fellow Christians, pastors, etc. I've been through all the adultery passages that would play into it as well. Oh, I've been paining over this, as well as praying for clarity and discernment all these last 8 years when it finally fell apart, or I would have simply 'divorced' quickly back then. No, this is NOT a frivolous decision on my part! I haven't dated, or 'otherwise', as I set the example for my daughter to follow. I will not be like many of her classmate's mothers who change boyfriends monthly. No. Not only am I an example for her, but I'm an example for those little girls who's mothers are out and about. They can see that a woman can abstain without it appearing 'dull' or 'scary' without a man!

I've seen and heard how many people will jump right into 1 Corinthians 7 as their escape hatch ... but in my case, I only came upon this passage after already living under these circumstances for 15 years. STILL, I struggled with coming to terms with it. But this is the passage that does explain my personal decision in knowing that divorce is the CORRECT choice for me:

"13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace."

This man has made NO ATTEMPT to come back here, not even to see his daughter. Instead we've arranged a 'drop-off' point halfway between his state and mine at my mother's. It's not even about the weight I put on, AFTER the separation, it's about the crack in God that separated us. No, this marriage is one to be discarded as broken due to the lack of God Himself!

Does Jesus state that he does not like divorce? Oh yes, quite vocally, but, he also realized, IMO, that there were times for it and he gave strict guidelines for it, or why would he give guidelines to begin with? Not every story has a happy ending, nor does every marriage need saving when it does NOT honor God with it's union!

With that said, I do look forward to a Christian marriage one day where I can be a shining example to someone struggling to create one of their own out of ashes.

Only God knows what's in our hearts, and how we really tried to make things work. Obviously, if I have been married this long, there's much more to my story than meets the eye, with military deployments involved, and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Just Me : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 18:19.
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Welcome Just Me, I will pray for you and your DD. Also that your DH will one day meet Jesus.
  #173   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:32

BF:

Just Me,

I certainly didn't mean to offend you. If I did I'm very sorry. Please forgive me. I certainly wasn't judging. You are the one who has to live with your decision, and it seems you may be biblically justified.

I asked the question (and probably would again if I had to do over) becaue I know so many people who are Christains and truly love God that get unbiblical divorces. They think it's an easy way out, but it has a price tag, too.

Listen, I'm divorced myself (and remarried). I, too, had good cause and military life played into that divorce also. My X got caught in drugs and alcohol, women, and was mentally unstable to begin with. Certainly I wasn't perfect, but I know that heaven and hell were waging war within my home. I chose to side with God, and unfortunately the X chose Satanism (literally).

The opposite to easy divorce is easy marriage. It breaks my heart to see young and old Christians alike dating and falling in love with nonchristians. People fool themselves with all kinds of excuses. They fall in love. Then their marriage goes sour and they are angry with God.

Anyway...my question was one of sincere love and concern only for you and your family. I hope we aren't on the wrong foot. We've never talked about anything so heavy on this thread. Please don't shy away - everyone is very nice here, including me.
  #174   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:33
Registered Member

Thank you Fat, I pray for him daily. My DD is spending her summer with him in KY, as she does every summer. That is the only time she's there. Once again, when I call to ask, no, they still don't go to 'any' services on Sunday. I made her take her AWANA pamphlet and bible to read, and I'll read over the phone with her as well. He does need prayers, and I will pray for him till I take my last breath, as he is a child of God's, as we all are.
  #175   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:56
Registered Member

randisue, we're not off on the wrong foot at all! Like I had said, "don't take it the wrong way." I am a very vocal personality, I realize that, as well as quite outspoken when it's something I am emotionally involved with. So, let ME apologize if that came across rather sternly ... I'm afraid that's still the Navy Chief in me barking (remind me one day to take off that uniform in my mind's eye )!

I also loath how easily people toss marriage aside as something invaluable, or to be taken for granted.

Take for instance Kobe Bryant ... opps ... am I opening a pandora's box here?

Well, I'll open it anyway. I hate that it's acceptable in our society for someone to admit to adultery like it isn't such a horrible admission of guilt anymore! Regardless, if he's guilty or not of the allegations, it's a shame people don't respect the institution of marriage and matrimonial vows these days.

IMO, it all boils down to giving your word to someone and being able to keep it in the long run. It's about being able to value yourself enough to take pride in knowing that when you do 'vow' and give your word to someone, they can and should be able to count on it. Your strength of character should be visible and demonstrative to others through your promised word.

Not enough people do that these days, it's why I watch what someone 'does' rather than what they 'say' to me, because lip-service is all too common! I'm not saying it's easy, but if you have respect enough for yourself, you'll want others to respect you as well, and that means not saying what you don't mean, or not going back on any vows or promises beyond your absolute control.

I have friends and acquantances who ridicule me because I refuse to even 'date' until I'm legally free from the bonds of Holy Matrimony in the eyes of God and State. Regardless, I have to be true to me!

Okay, time to lighten the mood ... sorry to have dampened it, truly I am!

PS: Don't be afraid to toss something at me when I get like this ... just don't let it be carbs ... okay?

Last edited by Just Me : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 20:00.
  #176   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:10

BF:

Just Me,

I think I'm going to like you!!!

I feel the same way about the current state of our society. It saddens me. But we have to remember we live in a fallen world, to most they are without Jesus and without hope. Sinners have no choice but to sin, they literally can NOT sin. For Christians it's very different. The good news is that we are free from sin. Sin is now a choice (no temptation has overtaken us but such as is common to man.....with every temptation God will provide a way out).

That's why it's so important for Christians to live Christian lives. It's like you said: people are watching and they are watching closely. Actions speak louder than words. They want to see if we really are different and if this Jesus-thing is something or nothing.

Jesus is in us, the hope of glory. He is the perfect gift to the world.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:24

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default A cheerful hi to all!

Hey friends
Happy Wednesday to you. It is Wednesday, right? Today's the first day where I can really remember which day it is.

Cleanheart: Thanks for your kind words. I too have found so much friendliness and support here on this site. I know you'll continue to be an encouragement to those you post replies too also. You are very kind. What a sweet song in your heart you must have! (I"m musical too and isn't it so much fun to...just sing and sing)! Sometimes, do you listen to Brooklyn Tab in Spanish? It really touches the soul deeply!
Shalizbet: Happy vacation! You just "push yourself out into the middle of that lake", honey, and have a hoot with the family!

RandiSue: I love reading your comments and your compassionate words.
Best wishes on the open door set before you...a cup of water in Jesus' name. There are so many good organizations with whom you can network with to enhance the task at hand.

Hello to all the rest of you, I am reading past posts to refresh myself with everyone.

For breakfast today, we had different sausages, cheeses and eggs. Something we picked up on from German culture. Yum! Another treat is to take cantaloupe slices and put a thin slice of ham on each piece. It is so tasty, so healthy! "Try it, you'll like it!"
A happy day to all... Hugs, Annie-Pie
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 12:59

Hello everyone. Lets all pray for Just Me's DH. Also for her DD while she is with her dad.
  #179   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 285/274/150 Female 5'9"
BF:?????
Progress: 8%

Hi everyone! Sorry that I have not been logged on have been very busy. Thanks to all that answered I have girl - ferternal(SP?) twins. They do keep me busy and with a full time job to boot it is hard at times. I thank the Lord my husband is very helpful ( at times). I have not been doing well I have cheated for 3 days now. Not very bad just a peice of candy/cookie I am on 20-30 carbs a day and found that if I go over 40-50 I get a migrane. I was always on daily meds and not Praise God I am not just by watching what I eat. If I would of only known this years ago. So I am on a no cheat goal for 14 days. I have losed 33# total and with the cheating I am up 2#. Thank you all for your support and will try to log in daily. Hol
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:00

Hello Hol, just a piece of candy can stall you and start the cravings, plus you will not lose.