Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Seriously, I know what you mean. Self-acceptance is something we should all strive for. It's not the size, really, but the way I feel. I used to move smoothly, gracefully, and now I feel all clumsy and oafish. I used to be that strong, muscular size 10. Now I'm a flabby 14. I still look great in my clothes, and people at work swear they don't see that I've gained weight (I'm a master at camoflage!). Still, I don't feel strong anymore, and I don't like that.

Bawdy, we are only 2 years apart, and I have been thorough some very rough patches, when there were days that I felt like 90yo, and it passed too. I went through period of horrible fatigue, depression, tears, anxiety, etc. It does getting better. I figured that beating myself up for not being able to exercise hard and gaining weight, and getting wrinkles make me feel awefull. But I have chamnge my attitude towards getting older, and will try to make ther best of it. Looking in the mirror and making negtive comments will not make you 10 years younger. I finally realize that I was comparing myslef with 20 and 30 yo women, and of course, it was depressing. So I started loooking at women my age and feel much better now, espcially when I am going on vacation or swimming..
So, the relativety theory works, try this approach and you will be amazed how much better you will feel. The way we feel about ourselves mentally, affects out phusical state, depression and anxiety make your muscles and joints cstiff and achy, and this is a vicious cycle. This time of our lives is when our body needs TLC more than ever and every smal effort counts.

Quote:
I'm making a concerted effort to push myself more on exercise. I was told in February that I should stop all exercise for a while, and then start up again but at a very low intensity. That surely accounts for some of the gain. I used to work out a whole lot more than now. I feel now like I want to push myself again -- not as hard as before, but I'm really starting to feel like a couch potato and I don't like it, not one bit!

I took a break for a full year from HIT, simply because my body could nto handle this load. Everything changed sort of overnight. So I figured it is nothing wrong, I took time off and re-started slowly, not lifting too heavy now and choose swmiing over jogging.
If wehgt gain your major concern, then I guess nothing will make you happy until you see the scale moving. There some weight loss pils on the market formulated for menopausal women, so may be can try Zalestra or Hoodia, works for some women.
Best,
D.

Last edited by dina1957 : Tue, Oct-31-06 at 13:25.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/179/155 Female 5'7
BF:dont know
Progress: 52%

Hi Bawdy, i just wanted to ask you if you went into menapause naturally or did you have a hysterectomy? I am 37 years old and i had a complete hysterectomy when i was 31, i take just estrogen and i feel pretty good, before the estrogen i was on progesterin and i felt like crap, but i have gained 50 pounds since my operation. I do believe that everything changes about your body after menapause, i really dont know what the anwser is but if you figure it out please let me know. Oh, and by the way, i notice your in maine also, where are you??
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 17:31

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Geez, I turn around and there are multiple new responses, each asking me questions.

MeBLady, always good to hear from you. You hit the nail on the head. We've been working so hard for so long at eating healthily (that's a weird word!) and exercising our bodies so as to stay strong and robust, and then WHAM! our hormones go nuts and no matter how hard we try, we not only can't get the same results, but actually end up going backward.

I guess I'm lucky not to have all the symptoms of menopause. No hot flashes, anyway. I was having trouble sleeping for a while there, but now it's not a problem at all. I rarely wake up in the middle of the night anymore. Once in a while I'll get my "cranky pants" on about something, but really nothing out of the ordinary.

Dina, you said that you "started loooking at women my age and feel much better now." Again, I guess I need to count my blessings, because everyone thinks I'm in my early to mid forties (I'm 51, will be 52 next March). Ever look at More magazine? It's for women over 40. Each month they have a feature where they show a vibrant woman's face and say "This is what <insert age> looks like." This month, they had a 52-year-old woman. Gotta say, I look a whole lot better than this woman. Excuse me. I shouldn't say "better," I should say "younger." Regardless, I get your thought process.

As for the pills, I'll try the "natural" way first -- LC and exercise. As I said, it looks like the end of the tunnel is in sight (or is it the oncoming train?). We'll see how things work out.

Hollabell, as you now know, I'm 51; I entered the menopause years "naturally." I still have a period, though it's somewhat irregular. I've been without BC pills since January 1 (was taking them every day, no placebos, so as to not have any periods at all). I had a period the end of January and February, and then not again until September. Three weeks later I had another. Sure makes vacation planning fun, huh?

I'm in southern Maine, by the way. I don't like giving out too many personal details (hah! that's a laugh, considering I'm baring my soul over so many things here), at least not in terms of where and how I live.

And if I ever DO figure it out, I'll let everyone know. Heck, if I figure it out I'll patent it and become rich!
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-06, 12:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Ever look at More magazine? It's for women over 40.

Speaking of "More", love this magazine. Check out October's issue, there is a great and very informative article on BIH.
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-06, 16:47

BF:

Skimmed the article. Trouble is, I believe attention-deficit comes with menopause, so I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing.

I like the magazine, too. Better than Woman's Day and Redbook and the like, with all the articles on raising kids. (Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone. But for someone in their early 50s who has never had kids, those magazines don't do much for me.)
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 03:53

BF:

Someone tell me, please, that it gets better. The only "symptom" of menopause I have is the weight gain (ok, the periods are getting a little wacky, too).

I mean, really. Why is my body so dang sensitive to carbs now? A "bad" day for me might be an English muffin for breakfast OR a half cup of mashed potatoes for dinner OR a small dinner roll OR a couple (and I mean a couple) crackers. Not all those things in one day. I mean ONE of those things in one day, and only one (maybe two) days a week.

And this is what made me gain 40 pounds? I was MAINTAINING in the low 150s for several years eating WAY more carbs than this.

I just don't get it. The doctors all say my thyroid is normal (and my tests show that it pretty much is in the realm of normal, even according to the new guidelines), so that's out.

All this "adrenal fatigue" is, in my opinion, so reminiscent of the TMJ that EVERYONE seemed to have about 10 - 15 years ago. That's not to say that SOME people are not genuinely afflicted with these syndromes. You just can't tell me that EVERYONE is afflicted. I was "diagnosed" within 5 minutes of seeing a new doctor. No tests, nothing to base the diagnosis on except 5 minutes of my talking. The tests came later, along with a ton of supplements. And 7 months and about $1,000 later, I'm no better. Actually, I'm worse off. The tests she gave me AFTER diagnosing me showed my adrenals were minimally depressed (if you believe the tests). After being on her treatment regimen for 7 months, a second test showed my adrenals were in outer space (again, if you believe the tests).

I'm almost ready to start trying a few of those "women in menopause who want to lose weight" supplements at the health-food store.

A mild rant, but a rant nonetheless.
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 12:40
Registered Member

Quote:

I mean, really. Why is my body so dang sensitive to carbs now? A "bad" day for me might be an English muffin for breakfast OR a half cup of mashed potatoes for dinner OR a small dinner roll OR a couple (and I mean a couple) crackers. Not all those things in one day. I mean ONE of those things in one day, and only one (maybe two) days a week. And this is what made me gain 40 pounds? I was MAINTAINING in the low 150s for several years eating WAY more carbs than this.

Hi Bawdy.
I think the answer is estrogen. Estrogen keeps our body insulin sensitive, once it starts dropping - we become IR to some extend, not all of us though. When ovaries starting shutting down, estrogen manufacutring is shifted to adrenals and fat cells, these are 2 sources of estrogen during and post-menopause. So, we gain weight for god reason: more fat= more estrone made. Adrenals make estrone/progesterone too but it comes with hefty dose of adrenalin/cortisol, also known as weight gain aids.
I don't think these insignificant amount of carbs makes you gain, I actually can lose only if I drop fat and calories.
Some women swear that actually adding high enough dose of BI estradiol helps to lose weight, BUT you must take progesterone alongside, and this is progesterone is "hormone from hell" for me, and many others.
I have a pattern for weight and appetite: midcycle estrogen drops and same time I start getting hungrier and crave carbs, fat, and more food in general. Since 1st 1/2 of the cycle is estrogen dominant, I believe we could lose weight by adding estrogen to 2nd part of the cycle to rpevent munches and weight gain, but I am not going to toy with something as powerfull as estrogen just to lose few pounds. Consider that I started gaining weight mid 40s, I think it's all about estrogen.
Quote:
I just don't get it. The doctors all say my thyroid is normal (and my tests show that it pretty much is in the realm of normal, even according to the new guidelines), so that's out.

Same here, I have my thyroid tested musltiple times, and not only TSH but also FT4 and FT3, and still -nothing.

Quote:
All this "adrenal fatigue" is, in my opinion, so reminiscent of the TMJ that EVERYONE seemed to have about 10 - 15 years ago. That's not to say that SOME people are not genuinely afflicted with these syndromes. You just can't tell me that EVERYONE is afflicted. I was "diagnosed" within 5 minutes of seeing a new doctor. No tests, nothing to base the diagnosis on except 5 minutes of my talking. The tests came later, along with a ton of supplements. And 7 months and about $1,000 later, I'm no better. Actually, I'm worse off. The tests she gave me AFTER diagnosing me showed my adrenals were minimally depressed (if you believe the tests). After being on her treatment regimen for 7 months, a second test showed my adrenals were in outer space (again, if you believe the tests).

I am with you on AF. Those with real AF and low cortisol are THIN, they can't gain weight, which makes sense: how one can put on weight if there is very little cotrisol. They also have crashing fatigue that no amount of rest or supplements can cure, catch every bug around, have skin problems, low blood pressure, etc. True Addison is a rare and very serious condition, that can be fatal of not treated.
Clearly, you are not the case and neither am I, and still, a "good drs" Dx me with AF too, LOL. Even my test cortisol was in normal range. I was given Rx for BI cortisol and a bunch of other hormones and supplements (by few not one dr.), which made me achy all over and my blood sugar and anxiety both went through the roof. After spending $$$$ on drs visits, blood tests, hormones and supplements, and getting worse and wose, I decided enough is enough, and stopped everything. Now feel better than ever, believ it or not. I hope AF scam is exposed soon enough to avoid women becoming very ill because of the "treatment".
Quote:
I'm almost ready to start trying a few of those "women in menopause who want to lose weight" supplements at the health-food store.

I did this too, this was my last resort to lose some poounds and "get balanced". So, I've tried Zalestra, which is formulated for menopausal women and promises hormone balance and weight loss. Took it for almost a month, and dd not lose a pound, but gradually my symptoms started coming back, so I stopped this one too.
Some women I have talked to swear that once hormonal war is over, and their period stop, the weight comes off. So, we have few years to wait, in a mean time I simply eat good and healthy, drink some wine in moderation, and try to enjoy my life as much as I can. I won't trade my extra weight for sleepless nights dreneched in sweat, 15-20 hot flashes a day, heart palpitations, migranes, internal shaking, anxiety alternating with depression, etc. I am greatfull that I don't have most of these symptoms, and if carrying extra pounds is what it takes for easier transition, then I will take it.
HTH,
Regards,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Nov-08-06 at 20:47.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 12:46
Registered Member

Quote:
Skimmed the article. Trouble is, I believe attention-deficit comes with menopause, so I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing.

I like the magazine, too. Better than Woman's Day and Redbook and the like, with all the articles on raising kids. (Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone. But for someone in their early 50s who has never had kids, those magazines don't do much for me.)

I have no problems reading anything work related, technical reports, also health and diet books too, but I can't bring myself to start reading novels and such again. I can only read something that I am interested in, otherwise, I have ADD too.
But it was a very good article, and reveales how women should be very carefull messing up with natural hormones adn supplements.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 14:33

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:

I mean, really. Why is my body so dang sensitive to carbs now? A "bad" day for me might be an English muffin for breakfast OR a half cup of mashed potatoes for dinner OR a small dinner roll OR a couple (and I mean a couple) crackers. Not all those things in one day. I mean ONE of those things in one day, and only one (maybe two) days a week.

And this is what made me gain 40 pounds? I was MAINTAINING in the low 150s for several years eating WAY more carbs than this.

Bawdy, could it be, not the "amount" of carbs that you are eating, but the actual carb foods that do this to you?

White flour and potatoes are the worst culprits....I, personally, haven't had a problem with some whole grains, as long as I stick to wheat, and an occasional corn tortilla hasn't hurt me either.

Potatoes, of any form? I feel like I ate a cup a sugar an hour later.

However, I can eat the same carb level with *healthy carbs without any problems whatsoever.

In meno, we are going to be much more sensitive to foods than we were before....processed foods and refined carbs are even more of a no no now.

Quote:

A mild rant, but a rant nonetheless.

I see a lot of those products equilvent to "diet pills". I did try "Estraven" once when my symptoms first started...supposed to help with cramping. Uh...never again! It made my cramps much worse.

The active ingrediant in many of these products is soy....and we can get soy right within an LC diet. Soy is also more "estrogen" replacement, which doesn't help those who are dropping in progesterone more than estrogen.

Evening Primrose, Black Cohosh, Oil of Oregano...I'm willing to investigate some of these. Black Cohosh does take the edge off of hot flashes for me.
  #145   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 17:39

BF:

Lots of interesting ideas, ladies. Thanks.

I have taken Oil of Oregano in the Spring for allergies. The first year (2004), it worked like a charm. In 2005, it worked somewhat. This year, not at all. I'm starting to have allergies right now though -- to what I don't know -- but it might be interesting to start the OoO again. Hmmmm.

W2W also had me on BI estrogen and progesterone. I was doing 2 drops of estrogen morning and night, and the progesterone I was taking 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I can't really say if it was helping me or not, but I did stop that, as well.

Do you think it might be worth trying that again?

And I hear you about the acceptance, at least temporarily. Some days (minutes) I think I'll apply myself and by gawd I'm gonna do it, and other days (minutes) I think SCREW IT! I'm just going to enjoy myself (within moderation) and not worry about things.

I also understand about the refined carbs. Trouble is, I can't seem to digest veggies anymore. Salads taste bitter and lousy to me, and veggies give me such constipation it's not worth it (plus, if my body reacts so adversely to something, it can't be good for me).

I really appreciate you jumping in here to help. I'm up to my eyeballs in work and home, but I promise I'll post more on Friday and over the weekend -- and not just about me. I'll actually take an interest in others as well!

#146   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-06, 23:26

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello, Bawdy (and everyone else)--
Thanks for directing me over to this thread. Hadn't seen it before. In any case I certainly fit in with your concerns. My teenage sons tell me to work out heavily and jog, but I'm afraid I'll overdo it--so I jog very gently to music at times or walk.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 10:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wow, interesting thread.

It's amazing how we are all so different! I missed a few periods before I started losing weight, but am real regular now.

I started having horrrible periods after having my 4th baby and the doctor found I had a thyroid problem. The thyroid pills don't help any of the symptoms I had except I get really tired if I don't take them, but I still have horrible periods, dry skin, thinning hair and some other stuff. The dr tried to blame my horrible periods on my weight, but nothing has changed since losing all that weight! So, I'm holding out for menopause!
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 10:20

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songberrie
Wow, interesting thread.

It's amazing how we are all so different! I missed a few periods before I started losing weight, but am real regular now.

I started having horrrible periods after having my 4th baby and the doctor found I had a thyroid problem. The thyroid pills don't help any of the symptoms I had except I get really tired if I don't take them, but I still have horrible periods, dry skin, thinning hair and some other stuff. The dr tried to blame my horrible periods on my weight, but nothing has changed since losing all that weight! So, I'm holding out for menopause!
Me, too! And I'm almost 57 years old. I wish it would get here already! I'm sad to hear that your thyroid meds are not helping! I'm just getting ready to insist that I get sent to an endocrinologist before I'm bald and I've driven myself nuts scratching the dry skin. Nothing I put on the outside helps. I wake up several times in the night and have to put on lotion. My eyes are so dry that I can't open them right away. I drink a gallon of water per day, plus other liquids. Sigh...

Sunny!
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 10:28

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
W2W also had me on BI estrogen and progesterone. I was doing 2 drops of estrogen morning and night, and the progesterone I was taking 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I can't really say if it was helping me or not, but I did stop that, as well.

Do you think it might be worth trying that again?

I think that is a personal choice on your part....but I don't think it would be good for you to go on and off these hormones, in essence, you would be contributing to your body's imbalance. If you are undecided, it may be worth recording how you feel both when you are taking supplements/hormones v. how you feel when you are not.

For me, if the meds truly didn't make a difference, I wouldn't take them.

The tone of your posts, however, sound ALOT better than they did awhile back, and you've managed to take off a few pounds. It sounds something you have done along the way has helped.

Did W2W mention the birth control pill possibly making your symptoms harder to control? I've *read that that the BCP is like weaning off of HRT, as it is a "synthetic".

Quote:
And I hear you about the acceptance, at least temporarily. Some days (minutes) I think I'll apply myself and by gawd I'm gonna do it, and other days (minutes) I think SCREW IT! I'm just going to enjoy myself (within moderation) and not worry about things.

I think Dina made a good point when she said carrying a little excess weight was worth not having an array of symptoms that a lower weight brings...I've listened to many women say this same thing. I've seen others that fight to obtain/maintain an ideal slender weight at this stage and be successful, some finding synthetic or BI HRT playing a large factor, and some not at all.

Maybe you need a little time to figure out who you are and what you want at this particular stage in your life (with meno). Figure out what you have to accept and what you don't,the pros and cons of each, and the choices your own body has given you.

Bawdy, meno seemed to hit you hard and fast....and if you are already going months without a TOM, your journey with this may end up being short.

Quote:
I also understand about the refined carbs. Trouble is, I can't seem to digest veggies anymore. Salads taste bitter and lousy to me, and veggies give me such constipation it's not worth it (plus, if my body reacts so adversely to something, it can't be good for me).

If you have gone a long time without the veggies, your body may need some time to adjust absorbing them...if not tho, I don't think potatoes/white flour is going to help much as a substitute. How does your body tolerate fruit, nuts, LC bread products, flax?

Awhile back, I know you were investigating a carnivore lifestyle, what happened with that?
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 11:53
Registered Member

Quote:

Bawdy,
Digestive problems and changes in taste are two of 39 menopausal symptoms. I too have problems on and off with out of blue bouts of bloat and bitter and strange taste in my mouth. I doubt that veggies cause constipation, it is low estrogen that slows down digestive system. Our digestive system is loaded with estrogen receptors, which keep things moving smoothly and stomach acid in check. As estrogen drops, digestive system suffers the most: stomach acid increases, food takes longer to digest. Not completely digested food causes gas and bloating, and gives you bad taste. I have been dealing with this for the past 4 years on and off. Raw vegetables especially salad green and cruciferous are hard to digest. I eat now more cooked veggies rather than raw in salads. I steam or lightly cook broccoli, zukkini, cauliflower, etc. Also, yougurt and kefir are a must at this point, or I won't be able to digest anything, I eat 2-3 cups a day. I have also noticed that small amouns of high fiber whole grains help with constipation better than large amount of salad greens. Your body is trying to tell you something when you have bad reaction, and I think liver plays major role during menopause too, breaking down all the hormones (our own, biodentical, syntetics), it is a bit overworked. A cup of hot water with 1/2 lemon juice 1st thing in the morning works very well to cleanse liver, and also drinking dandelion and chamomile teas are helpfull.
I think I have developed IBS too, and too much insoluble fiber is a very bad remedy, I feell much better when I eat more veggies high in soluble fiber and pectin, like pumpkin, sweet potatoe (the orange variety has less starch), apple, etc. I can't tolerate too much fat either, it triggers IBS attacks and bad heartburn. At this point I just listen to my body and eat whatever I can digest and stay on GI<50.
HTH,
Dina