Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 19:47

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'm glad my fiance owes up to what he eats and admits that I eat way better than him, even though I weigh 44 pounds MORE than him and we are the same height. He eats McDonald's, BK, Taco Bell, tons of ice cream at once, a piece (sometimes 2) of cake a day... I told him I wanted him to stop eating like that because even though he's the thinnest person I know, he can still get Diabetes or something like that, like IR and I don't want him to be sick. He said he agreed, but he didn't want to stop eating like that, LOL.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 20:02

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/165/120 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 37%

At Costco it is easy to see what other people have. It is so interesting too. Everyone is waiting in those horribly long lines and checking out each others merch. At least now, when I go to Costco, I know that I won't be consuming the whole Tiramisu alone, and having it finished by the end of the week (yes, I had a problem.) I sometimes wonder if other people in line with all of there goodies have the same battles that I had though-or if all of the treats are merely for some sort of a celebration or party...
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 10:18

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunzaga
At least now, when I go to Costco, I know that I won't be consuming the whole Tiramisu alone, and having it finished by the end of the week (yes, I had a problem.) I sometimes wonder if other people in line with all of there goodies have the same battles that I had ...

Well....I once bought this big box of jalapeno poppers at Costco....let's just say that the next couple of days were not fun times.
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 10:06

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

This is sort of related:

http://www.time.com/time/photogalle...1626519,00.html

It's a photo essay of what people eat around the world. It's interesting to see the vegetable and fruit in each respective diet.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 15:39

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
This is sort of related:

http://www.time.com/time/photogalle...1626519,00.html

It's a photo essay of what people eat around the world. It's interesting to see the vegetable and fruit in each respective diet.
That was interesting! Most of them now include western junk.

Did you see these? I followed the links from the photo essay. Look at what they say about refined carbs and Atkins.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2...1626573,00.html
http://www.time.com/time/photogalle...1626481,00.html

#141   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 16:11
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Fascinating! Thanks for posting the photo essay.

Kay
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 16:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

I only do this with people who have buggies full of soda and microwave garbage meals such as Banquet and Marie Calendar (?spelling). There is a family that goes to the same grocer as I that honestly, there isn't one of them that weights less than 300# and I am talking about 2 of them are probably 14 and under and one is under 19 looking. No, I am not making fun of these individuals, just feel sad in my heart that as long as all they eat is processed junk, they will always be this size. I also, feel sympathy for them that they may be buying these products because it is cheaper to buy $1-$2 meals than cook a meal for such hearty appetites. They look to be a family of 6. I pray for them when I see them.
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 03:15

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacongirl
I admit it, I have a terrible habit of judging others based upon the contents of their shopping cart. I realized that this habit is becoming pretty bad the other day while I was at Wal-mart. I actually pretended like I was examining some cookies just so that I could get a closer look at the diet foods another shopper was purchasing. In my head I was thinking , "you shouldn't be eating those 100 calorie pack oreo's", and "you really think that low fat granola is healthy? ha!"

Meanwhile, I am smugly prancing around with my cart, loaded with red meat, bacon, eggs, cream, and sugar free jello. Its really awful, but I can't seem to help myself. anybody else do this, or anything similiar?

I used to do that but now I don't. Now I just see the products on the store shelves and think...ick...ick....ick....double ick.....as I walk past them.

What annoys me the most in the grocery store is seeing a product I think is suitable for a low carb lifestyle and then reading the ingredient list and finding out it has wheat crumbs in it. ICK!!
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 14:37

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/165/120 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNStedy
Well....I once bought this big box of jalapeno poppers at Costco....let's just say that the next couple of days were not fun times.

Rofl, I bet. My husband has battles of his own with jalapeno poppers.
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-07, 18:18

Plan: LC IF
Stats: 330/265/185 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenca
I moved from Canada to Costa Rica about a year and a half ago. I find other peoples shopping carts interesting and especially the difference between the two countries. The national diet here is pretty high carb...rice and beans fruit and chicken or pork. The difference is that they are only starting to eat the more processed foods. I don't know any statistics but obesity here is not common. You see it more in teenagers than middle aged people which could be because of the influx of mcdonalds ect. Also people here walk and ride bikes a lot and since most of the country is mountains that is really good exercise.

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 15 years now and when I first arrived there were far fewer fat kids. Before, snacks were fresh fruit from the vendors, or small portions of sweets made from coconut and palm sugar. Now we have all major fast food and most American snacks. I work in an international school and have really noticed that the % of kids getting overweight has skyrocketed. Some classroom sections are nearly half obese. Of course, if you go to the schools outside of Bangkok where the lower classes attend, there are very few cases of obesity - no money to squander on the crap and meals are protein and veggie based.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 17:44

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
This is the guy who with his wife told me Atkins was bad because too much protein could give you kidney stones or whatever it was some 20/20 "investigation" made hype about. I asked how much protein a person needed based on weight, and how much protein they were testing on for that bad result, and how much protein Atkins recommended, and they had no answer for any of those.

It's funny most people call this way of eating, low-carb High protein.

I have just been informed, after being on Atkins for three years, that I haven't taken in ENOUGH protein, and that's why I'm losing my hair!

I must up my protein take to 80g a day. It's working, though, but because of TMJ, I usually avoid beef, and eat the softer meats and other good-for-you foods.

It just strikes me funny, that after three years on this WOE that I've been told I'm not getting enough protein. ROFL
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 17:48

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I'm glad my fiance owes up to what he eats and admits that I eat way better than him, even though I weigh 44 pounds MORE than him and we are the same height. He eats McDonald's, BK, Taco Bell, tons of ice cream at once, a piece (sometimes 2) of cake a day... I told him I wanted him to stop eating like that because even though he's the thinnest person I know, he can still get Diabetes or something like that, like IR and I don't want him to be sick. He said he agreed, but he didn't want to stop eating like that, LOL.

I weighed 98 pounds most of my life, since 9th grade! I ate like a pig, but I ate mostly meal-type foods. It wasn't until my thyroid kicked out that I gained weight and lost my appetite.

Tell him that it can happen through disease, too. Most of my family told me my whole life that I'd never gain weight because of my metabolism. *SIGH*