Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/194/135
BF:33
Progress: 12%
Default Anyone NOT Losing On Induction?

Hello all.
I have been on Induction since June 1st, because I can't seem to lose!

It can get discouraging after hearing of the 7, 8, 10 lbs loses that happened for some.

Has anyone heard of people like myself that DID NOT or are NOT losing weight on Induction?

(I use Fitday, check for hidden carbs, excerise, supplements, etc)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:25
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hello Eileen!

Well, it's time for you to start a journal, m'dear. That would be the place to post your daily menus and counts from fitday. Do that for a week or so and come grab one of us to come take a look. Also, you need to include a history.... your age, medical conditions, medications, diet history, etc.

have no fear....there's always an answer!! We're here to help!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 21:32
Registered Member

Hiya Teri! :-)

Actually I have kept a Fitday journal.

I have been on several forums and gleaned and picked up all stall tips , everything to tweak this diet to work for me. Hidden carbs, yeast, etc

Although my cravings and severe hypoglycemia are gone , which love, the only thing I have lost is my hair. :-(

Would anyone be willing to review my Fitday journel? http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...tml?Owner=edbet Thank you!

Last edited by EileenBet : Thu, Sep-05-02 at 07:48.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 20:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi EileenBet,

THe link doesn't seem to work.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 07:49
Registered Member

Fixed!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:33
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I went back in your fitday journal to Aug. 24.... 11 days. In those 11 days your calories averaged 1613/day. You should be eating between 1900-2300 cals/day.

Your carbs are fine, except that you're eating a lot of pork rinds and frankenfoods (bars, cheesecake, caramel clusters). In 11 days you had 16 servings of this type of food. In comparison, you only had 4 servings of vegetables in 11 days! I would strongly advise that you eat whole, fresh foods and limit your sweet treats and junk foods to 1/2-1 serving a day. If you have an understanding of hidden carbs, then you are aware that the bars and sweet treats could be causing some problems for you. You should concentrate on adding a lot more veggies to your diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:07
Registered Member

Thank you Teri!

I so much appreciate you going back that far! :-)

Frankenfoods...LOL
I laughed out loud when I read that! Too funny.

The upping the veggies is duly noted.

My problem is that I can't seem to give up my morning coffee.It's my favorite way to start my day. Combining it with the veggies and I am over my 20 carb limit. But I will work on it. Yesirree I will!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:59

Stats: 175/169/145
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi EileenBet
You are the only other person I've found so far who has failed to lose weight like myself.
I've been doing Atkins 2 months now and I don't cheat. I like the WOE and hubby has lost 14 pounds.
I take so many supplements that I rattle. My GP has sent me for blood tests and my arms look like pin cushions (yes both).
This week I cut soy flour out of my baking. I was definitely intolerant of it. It was making me bloated and unwell.
I have also decided to up my veggie intake. I tend not to stuff but to follow my appetite, which isn't huge.
Aspartame was another thing which I had to cut out completely. It was giving me headaches, but seems to have made no difference to weight loss.
My daily treat is mascapone cheese sweetened with sucralose or polyol and vanilla essence. Yummeeeee!
I also go for Sula boiled sweeties from Holland and Barratt. Boots diabetic ones are WAY too laxative for me
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 08:12
Registered Member

Jan,
Lucky us!! (not) lol

Are you going to try a different plan?
I know I DO NOT want to stop low carbing. I refuse to going back to starving, and I feel so much better on LC.

Lets keep each other posted.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, The Zone
Stats: 169.5/169.5/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Can someone help me too?

I know it is early in the game as I restarted Atkins on Saturday. Weighed myself Sunday morning and I was down 1.5 lbs. Weighed myself Monday morning and I was down another 1.25. Weighed myself this morning, and I was shocked to see that I have given back the whole 3.75 lbs and I am back to my original weight.

I am avoiding hidden carbs by eating scrambled eggs cooked in butter for breakfast, turkey and cheese slices for lunch and snacks and either grilled steak or chicken for dinner. The only dressing of any kind I am using is 2 tbsps of low-salt soy sauce with a bit of Wasabi powder that I use as a dip for my steak and chicken. I have given up coffee and am only "cheating" with about 6 oz of Diet Coke per day. Also, I am drinking at least 2 liters of water each day. Any ideas why I might have been "sent back to start"?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi there badwitch,

Um, where are the vegetables and salads? Where's the fiber? Are you constipated? That will make you hold onto the lbs for sure just from the bloating.

Atkins Induction (I'm assuming that's what you're following?) has you consuming up to 20g carbs per day, most of which should come from high-fiber vegetables such as spinach, asparagus or broccoli, and fresh salads.

Your menu also looks deficient in calories .... unless your portions are very large. When you cut out the carbs, especially if your previous diet was really high carb .. you need to compensate by increasing the portion size of meats and adding a little more fat ... some olive oil or butter are good choices.

hth,

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, The Zone
Stats: 169.5/169.5/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi Doreen T

I don't trust myself not to go over the allotted 20g so I have just been avoiding them altogether. I just figured that the small amounts contained in most food would add up to close to 20g on their own. I have not been constipated nor do I feel bloated (other than by all of the extra weight I am carrying). Is this why I am not losing? I just figured that if low carb is good, no carb is better. Leave it to me to figure out a way to be STRONG and undermine myself in the process. How do you recommend that I fix this?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hiya badwitch,

You need to get yer hands on a good carb counter A book that's worth every penny ($7.50 US / $9.99 Cdn) is Corrine T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts. Using the counter, you should be able to find great combinations of veggies etc that will come to under 20g net carbs (or effective carbs/ ECC as Protein Power calls it)

What are net carbs you ask? Well, if you haven't read Dr. Atkins latest edition (2001), or visited his website recently (www.atkinscenter.com) .. you might not know that you are permitted ... encouraged actually .. to subtract any grams of fiber listed from the total carbs given for a food. The reason is that fiber is not absorbed; it passes right on through the body without impacting blood sugar or insulin levels. This allows you to choose more veggies and high fiber foods, which means greater variety and less likely to get bored!

We have a carb counter tool on site .. which you can find by clicking on Low Carb Tools from the orange menu bar at the top. That should help you too.

To give you an idea how you could plan a wonderful menu full of variety and good food, Rosebud posted this to another member:
Quote:
This is an example of what you can have:
2 cups lettuce - remember iceberg lettuce has fewer nutrients than lettuces such as romaine - the ones with darker leaves are generally better.
½ cup peppers
½ cup cucumber
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup broccoli
1 cup asparagus
1 cup cauliflower
2 fluid ounces heavy cream

According to Fitday, this gives you a total of 31 carbs, 12 fibre carbs - making a total of only 19 useable carbs.
Fitday is another good carb tracker .. it's a free online diet journal; you enter in your foods for the day and it tallies up the nutrient data. There's an exercise and weight tracker too. Check it out at www.fitday.com

Hope this helps

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 15:45

Stats: 130.5/129.5/120
BF:
Progress: 10%

I actually managed to gain 3 lbs this past week on Induction--in the last few days. Having said that, I must confess what I ate to cause this: Whitman's S/F candy, Russell Stover s/f peanut butter cups, a "homemade" no-bake cheesecake (using the Atkins recipe), a whole avocado when 1/2 was on the menu, coffee every single day w/heavy cream and Spenda (2 cups, always) and, last but not least, not a sip of water, just Crystal Lite (bottled, w/Splenda). And no exercise whatsoever except to walk the dogs (I have 3 toy dogs, so you can imagine how short this trek is).

I had a rough 5 days on Induction, didn't cheat one bit, and my clothes were loose -- and then I had to buy that darn sf candy. It's as if I just don't get it. It's as if my mindset is, Ok, I don't need Induction, I'll just skip ahead to the Faux Carb foods that I am addicted to. Oh, well. I do think I understand a bit more about the reasons for Induction. I can't slip in a Delite bar and then write down 2 carbs in my journal -- I'll never get well (and this is what it's really about for me--carb city). From searching the messages here, I think I finally understand that my 20g must come from vegetables, not a cream cheese concoction! LOL It's not about being "good" in a dietary manner; it's about being good to yourself. Boy, that's so hard to do. But anything worthwhile is always difficult, at least in the beginning.

I'm back on track today--and back in ketosis (just a trace).
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 14:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Thumbs up

I don't want to seem like a dull drill but here it goes. I too have a resistant metabolism and more than 1 cup of veggies can take me out of ketosis. I've found that what I was missing was fat!
Fat! Fat! Fat!

Make up your favorite protein, non carb, dips and spreads and use lots of cream cheese and mayonaise in them. Eat them whenever you get hungry with pork rinds or limited veggies. Ater a few days, 4 at most, you should be turning your keto stick dark purple even when drinking a lot of water. I drink close to a gallon a day.

It used to be so frustrating to me to constantly be on Induction with limited weight loss for all the deprivation. I wish I had known about this sooner. I only picked it up by reading Atkin's revision of his book.