Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: Caveman
Stats: 175/160/120 Female 5'66"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Unhappy Chest pain

I started having chest pains on my left side shortly after starting atkins in October last year. Initially it was mild, now the pain is strong and so frequent, like many times a day.

I think it must be heartburn or something like that.

My diet change was big. I used to consider myself an ovo-lacto-vegetarian who sometimes ate fish and seafood, but who am I kidding, I was a carbohydratarian really, coz I age pizza all the time, bread, pasta, potatoes, and really not all that much veggies, some times a lot of fruit.

Now I eat meat and eggs.

I also became iron difficient aneamic (for like the fifth time in recent years) so now I have been trying to include baby clams, mussles, and oysters in my menu (mostly canned as I am not a very good cook). Also I have been eating some beef liver and steak.

I can't take iron supplements, they make me very ill, so I need to get the iron from my diet.

I am on some medication, synthroid 0.075 mg for hashimoto's hypothiroidism and Jasmin contraceptive for treatment of endomitriosis. I also take vitamins and supplements (except iron!).

One would think that my best bit would be to go to my family doctor and talk about this. But not so easy. I am in a pickle. I rellocated from Vancouver, BC to Victoria, BC last September and I can't find a family doctor taking new patients (there just aren't any!) so I am stuck with the walk in clinics, with a different doctor each time who doesn't look at a clinical history but just the concern that brings me to a specific appointment there. Sucks.

I have received such great advice in this forum before, I look forward to reading your opinions and suggestions once again.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:00

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am curious to see your responses. I have had some recent problems like you describe. Kept thinking it was gas, and took Pepcid and other things for acid reflux. Did seem to help but not for long. Thought maybe it was my change to South Beach as of Jan. 1st (like an induction flu.) Even tried muscle relaxers because I had also tried a new workout thinking maybe I had pulled something.

I also have Hashi's, and had upped my Cytomel T3 because I still have a lot of hypo stype symptoms (I also take a low dose of synthroid like you.) Laid off thyroid meds a few days....seemed to go away.....then went back on prescribed dosage. Still not sure what caused it. Made me consider getting a heartscan it got so bothersome! Looked online for places to have one (at TrackYourPlaque.com.) We don't have a place in NC, but thankfully, it has almost stopped now. I still don't know what it was either. Very yucky feeling though!

Hope you feel better. Maybe post this over on the thyroid board also if you don't get a good number of responses here.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:06

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Okay, first: frequent strong chest pains? I would go to the doctor asap. How long would it take you to get to Vancouver? Because I think you should make an appointment with your previous doctor, or another doctor in Vancouver, even if it means taking a day to travel there and back. I think it is crucial for you to get this checked out. Does anyone here think I'm overreacting?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

What ImOnMyWay said...

Have you seen a doctor about this at all? Please, chest pain is nothing to trifle with. It may not be serious, but you will not know until you are seen by a doctor.

As I keep saying, asking for medical advice over the internet is really scary. No one can diagnose you through a computer screen. And chest pain can potentially be very, very serious. Please see a doctor as soon as you possibly can.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:22

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Sheesh Katz - get yourself to an emergency ward immediately! Tell them you're having chest pain and you won't sit there waiting for very long. I had something similar a few years ago and, after several scans and tests it turned out that I needed an angioplasty to open a couple of arteries - one was 99% blocked! Nothing to fool around with! By the way, my cholesterol numbers have always been very good with excellent ratios - go figure.

It may turn out to be heartburn, but it's better to be sure and no-one will make you feel as if you've wasted their time!! They'd rather have 99 false alarms than one who should have come in and didn't. You might even get hooked up with a doctor willing to take new patients but yeah, there's a definite shortage of doctors in Victoria - maybe in all of BC.

By the way, after you've had this checked out, come on over to the Canada sub-forum and look up the thread for the Victoria get-together http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...436#post8016436. We try to meet once a month for a low-carb lunch or supper and we'd love to have you join us!

Welcome to Victoria!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:23

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatzKatz
so I am stuck with the walk in clinics, with a different doctor each time who doesn't look at a clinical history but just the concern that brings me to a specific appointment there.

Make chest pain the concern that brings you to a specific appointment there.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:36

BF:

Guess I should've been more afraid??? DANG!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:39

BF:

Katz - you don't have enough posts for me to send you a private message, but if you live near the Royal Jubilee - they have one of the best heart teams in Canada. DON'T wait to see a doctor at a clinic - GET INTO THE EMERGENCY WARD NOW!!!! And don't drive yourself in - if you don't have someone to drive you, call a taxi or 911.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Guess I should've been more afraid??? DANG!

Yeah Angie! My advice applies to you too. Chest pains are not something to ignore, or to wait and see if they go away.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 23:50

Stats: 289.0/280.2/250 Female 6ft
BF:
Progress: 23%

I hope she goes to the hospital....

I have had friends with the mildest symptoms end up having bypasses! One went to the walk-in clinic and an ambulance took him to the hospital.... He had already had a mild heart attack!

Its better to get checked out and find out its something minor than to delay. Since October? That is too long. Please, please go get looked at. Chest pains will get you whisked out of triage right in to the ER! No waiting! Your body is trying to tell you something.... please listen! Crossing my fingers for you!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 00:04

BF:

By the way, both Katz and Angie - after you've had this checked out, please come back and let us know how you are. We're all friends here, and we care!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 00:35

BF:

I'm going tomorrow. I'll have to admit that I upped the Cytomel, huh? Haven't had that kind of pain since. Have some mild aching only, but am going to the ER. I knew that, but you always think "this won't happen to me because of a,b,c" but that is wrong.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 00:46

BF:

Angie, that makes me feel better -- I'd feel better if you'd go tonight but I understand! I was the same when I went and the ER doctor made me understand that that was stupid!!!! They'll probably keep you there for about 6 hours while they monitor your heart readings.

I sure hope it's only because of the changed dosage of the meds, but I would really feel badly if you didn't check it out.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 02:12

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Not to scare anyone but they always say that women's heart attack symptoms are different from men's. Dr. Oz did a whole show on it dedicated to women. The "heart burn" and dull aches are a huge sign. It's true that we have a huge GP shortage here in BC BUT..... please go to the ER and complain of chest pain, you will be tended too ASAP.... and don't minimize it to the medical team, you want to be taken very seriously. Good Luck!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 04:34

Stats: 240/240/157 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pain in chest on left side makes me think it is possibly gallbladder. People often mistake them to be heart attacks..the pain is quite difficult to endure during an attack and is brought on by high fat foods. Either way,ultra sound needs to be done.....and if it is gall stones, cholisystectomy needs to be done