Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Help For Those Of Us Who Can't Eat Too Much Protein Or Fat

Sooooooo ok, those of you who are more experienced with Atkins, please help those of us who are unable to keep down much protein or fat.

I've been seeing others having this problem too, and it's VERY hard to stay with low-carb, when you have this problem.

I was hoping you guys could put your heads together, and come up with what we can eat, that's going to keep our carbs low, yet we'll be able to keep down without that 'sick' feeling.

As for me, all meat and eggs are just too much for me to handle, I can't get much down, if at all. I can get down some cream, some cheese, coleslaw, tomatoes, fried onions, decaf tea and coffee and pumpkin. However, I thought I could use Splenda, but have been having cramps and the runs with it, and Stevia seems to be bothering me too. So not sure what I'd do for sweetening, unless I just forgo that all together.

So please do help us, and let us know if there's anything I didn't mention, that you can think of, that would get us the protein and fat we need.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:

Anybody out there tonight?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 21:07
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Diana is meat and egg making you sick, or are you just bored with them?..Bru
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 21:26
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

IIRC, you made a post not long ago indicating that your General LC plan was pretty much like Atkins. The Atkins plan is not the only good lc plan out there. Have you considered checking out the South Beach plan? It allows more carbs, and is lower in fat than Atkins.

Switching to low carb has to be a permanent lifestyle change. If you don't like the foods you can eat, then it will be incredibly difficult for you to stay with for the rest of your life. It's very important to choose a plan that suits your individual tastes and lifestyle if you want to truly succeed at lc.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
IIRC, you made a post not long ago indicating that your General LC plan was pretty much like Atkins. The Atkins plan is not the only good lc plan out there. Have you considered checking out the South Beach plan? It allows more carbs, and is lower in fat than Atkins.

Switching to low carb has to be a permanent lifestyle change. If you don't like the foods you can eat, then it will be incredibly difficult for you to stay with for the rest of your life. It's very important to choose a plan that suits your individual tastes and lifestyle if you want to truly succeed at lc.

I agree with Kisal. I'm actually considering switching from Atkins as well. I've completely burned out on meat...I joke with my hubby that Atkins is going to make me a vegetarian. I need a plan that offers more variety.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Low Carb is a great deal more than meat and eggs or protein and fats. If that is primarily what you eat then maybe you need to change your way of thinking, and read some books.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 10:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Low Carb is a great deal more than meat and eggs or protein and fats. If that is primarily what you eat then maybe you need to change your way of thinking, and read some books.

How so? I've seen many people here try to adjust Atkins to vegetarian, and it proves to be very hard. I can't stomach too many veggies, I can't stomach eggs much, same with meats ... so how am I getting the fat and protein, other than eating cheese, butter, cream, and coconut oil?

I don't like avocados and such either. What's left?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 10:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru88
Diana is meat and egg making you sick, or are you just bored with them?..Bru

They make me sick! I can eat some steak .. I CAN eat pork, but am not suppose to for religious reasons, but I did have some bacon today, because it was all I could stomach.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal

I agree with you. I'm just so disappointed that I might not be able to do this.

I've tried so many other ways, and am unable to lose weight that way also. I feel I'm doomed and I'm very upset about that.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

So you can't stomach veggies or meat or eggs? Sounds like you are really into junk food.

No one can eat a low carb diet with those restrictions in place.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
So you can't stomach veggies or meat or eggs? Sounds like you are really into junk food.

No one can eat a low carb diet with those restrictions in place.

I've never been deep into junk food.... even without trying to lose weight, I eat very little. I've tried this WOE 4 times now, maybe 3 I can't remember, but enough to know each time, I can't continue because of the horribly sick feelings I get each time .. and they don't let up.

It's actually hard for me to eat meat anyway ... with or without LC, since I'm very sensitive to the fact of the animal having to be killed, etc ... I've been a vegetarian before. But then there are times, I don't think about it and I can do it. .. but not for long, because it makes me sick.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 11:03

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Were you vegetarian before? There have been a few stories about vegetarians who lost their ability to digest meat floating around here. Can you eat peanut butter and nuts or does the fat get to you? What about coconut milk?

Where do you feel sick? Do you think you might have a gall bladder problem?

I think you will find a way to make this work for you but it will take some trial and error. It is not unheard of for people to be allergic to different meats and eggs and dairy and that may be what you are dealing with. Pork allergies are relatively common and any food allergy can manifest itself as making your stomach hurt or gastrointestinal distress. Maybe game meat like venison would be a good bet if you are hellbent on incorporating meat into your diet. Ghee is a good substitute for butter if you can't tolerate dairy.

What are you accustomed to eating? What makes your stomach feel good?

Janine
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 11:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I forgot to ask if you've checked out the veggie low carber's forum?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 11:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Were you vegetarian before? There have been a few stories about vegetarians who lost their ability to digest meat floating around here. Can you eat peanut butter and nuts or does the fat get to you? What about coconut milk?

Where do you feel sick? Do you think you might have a gall bladder problem?

I think you will find a way to make this work for you but it will take some trial and error. It is not unheard of for people to be allergic to different meats and eggs and dairy and that may be what you are dealing with. Pork allergies are relatively common and any food allergy can manifest itself as making your stomach hurt or gastrointestinal distress. Maybe game meat like venison would be a good bet if you are hellbent on incorporating meat into your diet. Ghee is a good substitute for butter if you can't tolerate dairy.

What are you accustomed to eating? What makes your stomach feel good?

Janine

OK .. let's see: I can eat some nuts, peanut butter, cream, butter and yes coconut milk. I don't get sick with pork, but like I said, it's a religious issue.

I have no allergies, so it's not that. It's not my gall bladder.

I could NEVER eat venison ... could never eat a deer .. I have enough trouble eating meat in general.

Actually, whenever I've been sick before, didn't feel like eating, food didn't appeal to me, sugar made me feel better ... I mean, it settles my stomach right away ... and I feel much better, stronger, etc.

I can eat a candy bar and feel very good ...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I forgot to ask if you've checked out the veggie low carber's forum?

Yes I have, but there again ... I'm unable to eat all of the 'fake' meats, I dislike most veggies, I find it hard to eat poultry or fish, and the TVP and other veggie meats, give me horrible gas.

I'm also concerned because the artificial sweeteners are beginning to make me sick. I have horrible gas and the runs from it now. I really need a bit of sweet to stay with this. I suppose I could do the 85% chocolate once in a while.