Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 10:02

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 147/135/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default will you miss your stomach?

I wonder if I will. Its my biggest hate, but it is a part of me. I am one of those people that if I wear a baggy shirt, you would have no idea, but if you looked at me in a bathing suit, you would think I was pregnant. Sometimes I wish it could just be accepted and respected, but, our society does not permit that. I can already see it shrinking and am strangely sad about it. Am I nuts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 17:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/121/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 137%

No you are not nuts. I have sometimes strangely missed my stomach, like when I am sitting down and I used to prop my hands up on the top of my belly , but I can't do that anymore because I don't have one.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well your stomach will still be there when thin. What you will not miss is the belly fat. There is nothing cute about it. It's dangerous, and the faster it goes away the better.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 14:13

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

I agree, exactly what is it about the stomach that your would miss? Perhaps its what it represented. Security? I don't know.

Although losing weight won't make everyone a whole different person, it certainly will make you a different person in some respects though. And hopefully the reasons you are changing on the inside will reflect on the outside in a positive manner, resulting in less of a belly.

I felt shallow and insecure when my stomach was flabby. Confidence will come, you just have to allow your head to catch up with body.
Look forward and care about what you think, not society. Sure people can be cruel but they can be cruel when you are any size.

I think it might have been different for me because I gained all my weight in a short period of time. Before that I was fit and considered thin. I never grew an attatchment to it- I despised being heavier, although I do understand where the comfort level might be.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 02:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 256/249/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I can relate to this, perhaps in a slightly different way - I think any time I have felt a loss of motivation, or strayed from focus, I wonder if it's because mentally I'm worried about what I'll look like - and thus, who I will be - after losing so much weight.

Because losing the weight doesn't happen overnight, all I can hope is that over time I get more and more accustomed to a new, slimmer shape, rather than being scared of it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 14:49

BF:

How is this a comfort? I hated my belly when I was fat. The worst place for fat to sit around is around your stomach. You can carry excess fat in your thighs, arms, safely everywhere but your belly. Your life is a ticking bomb as long as you carry fat around your middle. Nothing wrong with fat on the body. Just don't keep it around your stomach.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 16:25
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
How is this a comfort? I hated my belly when I was fat. The worst place for fat to sit around is around your stomach. You can carry excess fat in your thighs, arms, safely everywhere but your belly. Your life is a ticking bomb as long as you carry fat around your middle. Nothing wrong with fat on the body. Just don't keep it around your stomach.

Should I carry mine in my purse? It sounds like you think there's a CHOICE in where the pounds settle.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 16:31
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

My belly is where the fat forms first, and also where the fat goes away last
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 16:39
Fully Caffeinated

I think my son said it best. He sat there poking and prodding his middle and announced:

"I like my fat. It's squishy, and fun to play with!"
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 17:09
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

i love that boy!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 17:33
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

This is an interesting subject. I hate to admit it, but I do miss my fat body at times. It was a safe place to hang out. Nobody bugged me then, because obese folks are invisible (if lucky) and yucky and worthy of ridicule (if unlucky).

Some days, being 'visible' is annoying...esp. when it comes to men tendering the 'wrong' sort of attention towards me.

Overall, though, it's good...missing my safety net less and less as I become accustomed (slowly) to the new body size/shape.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 19:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Should I carry mine in my purse? It sounds like you think there's a CHOICE in where the pounds settle.

You can do something about it. Fact is, if you carry any fat on your body, the most dangerous place is around the middle. Combination of diet (pick your diet..they ALL work) and excerise with diminish the danger. A fat belly will bring diabetes, heart disease, stroke...you name it. I made sure I got rid of my fat belly first. I've got a flat tummy now....I intend that to stay that way.

Last edited by rachelratz : Sat, Nov-25-06 at 19:33.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 20:15
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
You can do something about it. Fact is, if you carry any fat on your body, the most dangerous place is around the middle. Combination of diet (pick your diet..they ALL work) and excerise with diminish the danger. A fat belly will bring diabetes, heart disease, stroke...you name it. I made sure I got rid of my fat belly first. I've got a flat tummy now....I intend that to stay that way.

So you're saying you can selectively reduce fat stores from specific areas at will? Do you have some information on that we can have a look at?

Also, are you saying all low-carb diets work for that purpose, or all diets in general?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 20:23
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

Just how do you do that kinda trick?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 06:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

When I think of my fatness..... it's like unwelcome guests who show up uninvited and stay waaayyy too long. You tolerate it, grudgingly. You work on trying to get rid of it, and certainly notice when it leaves. Almost shocked that it's finally gone, and worried it might show back up. There is a void there.....but it doesn't take long to feel good about it!