Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 15:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Carbs, carbs and more carbs!

I took the Rate Your Carbohydrates Intake from the Health Central site and it told me that I should be eating 327 grams of carbs a day. That's amount that they think is best for me. That's equivalent to over a cup and a half of sugar.

I doubt that I eat that meany carbs in a week.

It's no wonder that the diabetes rate is increasing rapidly.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, I keep hearing that the brain needs 100 grams minimum to function properly. So...all low carbers are retarded? Oh science...or rather lack thereof.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

oh come on... its the refined carbs that are the problem! If people were eating 327g of complex carbs a day, then there wouldnt be much of a diabetes problem.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:20
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
oh come on... its the refined carbs that are the problem! If people were eating 327g of complex carbs a day, then there wouldnt be much of a diabetes problem.

here's a quote directly from the site this thread talks about

Quote:
It isn't just how many of them you eat that counts, it's which ones. Nutritionally, carbs range from super-healthy to almost useless.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:47

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
There is very little difference between complex carbs adn simple carbs. Carbs are broken down in the digestive system into sugars, so when they reach the blood stream, they all look alike.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo

here's a quote directly from the site this thread talks about

It is hard to eat this amount of carbs daily if you eat mostly whole unprocessed food: whole grains, vegetables, beans, and fruit. Whole food in general is very filling, so eating 300g carbs is equivalent to a ton of food, I just logged everything I could imagfine eating in one day, and barely came up with 200 and 60 g fiber. If you stick to fruits and vegetables mostly, even 150 g is hard to meet.But it is not problem to double this number if you few cans of regular soda, a donut, few cookies, bag of chips, some candies for afternoon sugar crush, icecream and may be a milkshakes with big mac.

Last edited by dina1957 : Fri, Sep-01-06 at 17:05.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
There is very little difference between complex carbs adn simple carbs. Carbs are broken down in the digestive system into sugars, so when they reach the blood stream, they all look alike.

Not according to my glucose meter, I check aftwer every meal. I can certaily tell when there is a processed sugar added, and when I have real fruit and even small sweet potatoe. It takes time to break complex carbs into the simple sugars and fiber content makes a difference too. Of course, if you don't combine concetrated few concetrated carb sources in one meal, the total # of carbs per meal matters too. Even the simple sugar molecules look alike, the whole unprocessed carbs are digected slowly, compare to fruit juice, soda, and even full fat icecream.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 16:59
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
It is hard to eat this amount of carbs daily if you eat mostly whole unprocessed food: whole grains, vegetables, beans, and fruit. Whole food in general is very feeling, so eating 300g carbs is equivalent to tond of food, I just loged everything I could imagfine eating in one day, and barely came up with 250 and 60 g fiber.if you avoid processed carbs, like bread and cereal, 150 g a day is plenty tio feel full.
But it is not problem to double this number if you few cans of regular soda, a donut, few cookies, bag of chips, some candies for afternoon sugar crush, icecream and may be a milkshakes with big mac.

Dina,

I agree. I put my info into that site and my recommended carb intake was 246. Dodger is a male and probably much taller than I (and maybe you) so his food intake would be quite a bit higher. I know that when I do a high fibre controlled carb plan I come in around 200 grm carb a day with about 50 -60 fibre and after a couple of days of eating that way, really have a hard time getting three meals in. Of course when I eat that way it's all whole foods. I don't have diabetes or blood sugar issues though so can't really comment on that.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 17:08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
Dina,

I agree. I put my info into that site and my recommended carb intake was 246. Dodger is a male and probably much taller than I (and maybe you) so his food intake would be quite a bit higher. I know that when I do a high fibre controlled carb plan I come in around 200 grm carb a day with about 50 -60 fibre and after a couple of days of eating that way, really have a hard time getting three meals in. Of course when I eat that way it's all whole foods. I don't have diabetes or blood sugar issues though so can't really comment on that.

Having diabetes makes it harder, too much carb at one meal will still raise blood sugar, even if it is whole food, but staying away from grains and starches, and eating lots of veggies and and some fruit, is doable. I wish I could eat more carbs and less fat, whole grains like barley and buckwheat keep me full for hours.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 17:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Dina and KoKo!!

Thanks for being a voice of reason. While I don't have diabetes, I do believe in whole unprocessed carbs. I do not think that all carbs are created equal as the GI, that my plan follows, indicates that they are not.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 17:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default you only die slower

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "complex carbohydrate" or "good carb" -- they all can kill us susceptible people, just not as quickly.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 18:00

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

The only difference I can think of, is how fast each carb source is broken down and at what rate they enter the bloodstream, as in the GI rating.....

Right?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 18:02

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
There is no such thing as a "complex carbohydrate" or "good carb" -- they all can kill us susceptible people, just not as quickly.

Didn't Atkins state there isa difference? Especiallly in how fast they can or cannot spike an insulin response? I seem to remember that Atkins stated that eating 10 grams of carb from sugar was worse than 10 grams from vegetable sources...or something to that effect....
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 19:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
Nutritionally, carbs range from super-healthy to almost useless.

Sounds great but means nothing, really. A carbohydrate is a classification and, basically, a carb is a carb is a carb. The nutritional value of 1 gram of carb is the same whether it comes from sugar or whole wheat. What changes the nutritional value of a food is the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients found in that particular food, not the amount of carbs it does or doesn't contain.

GI can be a useful tool if you don't happen to have metabolic issues since it was tested on individuals who didn't have metabolic issues. For those that are insulin resistant or diabetic, it's a lot less useful since they tend to react to carbs differently than a normal individual. Glycemic load is probably more useful overall; at least that takes into account the total amount of glucose you're putting in your body on a daily basis.
Whether it be fast or slow, all carbs eventually become glucose in the bloodstream. 200-300 grams of carbs, even complex ones, is a pretty hefty glycemic load for the body to handle and way beyond anything that a low carb or even controlled carb plan would recommend.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 23:26
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Whoa, that sounds like a lot. If it was all low-glycemic it would take all day just to chew it. If it wasn't...it's about a pound of M&Ms. Or two pounds of my favorite dark chocolate....mmmmm...on the other hand, I would have one heck of a headache if I ate that much.

Some people could tolerate it fine, like say an athlete. I don't see why anyone needs that much, though.

Carb sensitivity does seem to be pretty individual. I think a lot of carb-sensitive people would do well to test their blood sugar after eating, and see what they, personally, are especially sensitive to.

Last edited by ysabella : Sat, Sep-02-06 at 13:59.