Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 08:11

Plan: none
Stats: 16/15.3/15 Male 6foot3
BF:
Progress:
Default hi! PLEASE HELP!!! im dying

Hello im new here. there's my symptoms: white tongue and redspot near the end, dry mouth all the time, bad taste in the mouth, severe muscles pain and rumbling, joints pain, constipation, diarrhoe, changement on bowel, stomach pain, abdominal pain and noise, weightloss (4 to 6 kg in 5months), headaches , painfull dry eyes, dry skin, dry lips and fatigue. i did some blood test but could find nothing and done endoscopy and find a bacteria H.polyri given antibiotics for it. but my symptoms are so strong i though i had HIV and tested myself about three times in 6months which came back negative. this symptoms are making my life so miserable, especially the weightloss. i also did the candida home test and i fail. do you think my symptoms are candida related? and wot can i do to regain the muscles mass that i lost. please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 10:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you been tested for Celiac disease?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 11:02

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Wow! Sounds like you need an MD. Sorry I can't help but I do feel for you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 13:41

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

You do not list your plan, so I am assuming you are NOT low carb eating. I noticed you just joined as well, so if you are new you have a lot of research to do and this website is a good start. I would start with finding a lc program that works for you.

To help the digestive issues you might try a strict low carb elimination diet until you find the cause of the problem. For me the elimination of dairy and wheat for months helped a great deal. I have discovered I have serious intolerances to dairy and I can only have gluten products once a week. To help heal my digestive issues I ate nothing but lean meats, fruits and vegetables for 3 months and found relief from the digestive issues. Whenever I notice digestive trouble again I start the program all over again.

My personal plan included only lean meats and vegetables at first for 3 weeks (beginning phase of any lc program) then I added a piece of fruit every couple of days until I reached three fruits. I noticed I have no trouble with any fruit, vegetable, white meat or fish, and I am eating mostly organic products as much as I can. However red meat, like beef or pork hurt to digest and I do not eat them much anymore. I also eliminated all hydrogenated fats, even soy. I do still use coconut oil though and found no trouble with it. I keep saturated to no more than 10 grams a day. This may not sound like much, but I found it is livable, you cannot eliminate all of them unless you decide to go vegan and I personally would not with the digestive issues you are having. I do take in plenty of good oils such as olive oil, flax seeds and I occassionally snack on nuts, but since I am trying to lose weight I keep the nuts down to no more than a 1/4 cup a day.

You sound like you have a serious autoimmune problem. By all means get the MD's help to make sure it is not cancer or another serious problem like lupus but antibiotics are going to kill your immune system and you will need to replenish your system with good flora. I would encourage you to read the Makers Diet, I know many people it has helped with digestive issues. I do not do everything it suggests but have added many elements of it to my daily eating plan. I would also encourage you to research everything on the net about candida. You may have to eliminate everything that has yeast and fermented foods.

They key is to research. Paleo plans, low carb plans and whole food plans all may give you some relief but your body is different and you will have to find out yourself what works for you, it is a journey. No one plans fits all.

Good Luck.

Kellie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 14:18

Plan: none
Stats: 16/15.3/15 Male 6foot3
BF:
Progress:

thanks for your reply. but just wanted to say that i been to doctors and they telling me im ok when im in such pain. and keep on sending me home. but that's candida cause weightloss? cold in my harms and legs? dry lips and mouth? and i do not wanna lose weight is there any diet or supplement that will help me had weight?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-06, 06:57

Plan: Yeast Connection
Stats: 152/140/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 55%

Sounds like you have lots of symptoms of candida to me-white tongue, headaches, muscle aches, and especially fatigue. Cut out white flour, sugar, and junk food. See if that helps. Be persistent though. It is a long hard road.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-06, 09:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

My recommendation: Take 150 mg organic oregano oil, 1000 mg ester C, and 1000 mg vitamin C every 1-2 hours for 1 week. This will cause very loose stools or diarrhea but it will clean you out, kill the yeast, and help repair your body.

During this time (in fact always) take a good multivitamin with minerals (2 pill dose), and 2 multiomega at a minimum.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 01:34

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:

If you want to get control of candida then in my opinion you have to eliminate all processed carbs and get yourself on an elimination diet so that you can find out exactly what is causing your problem.

An elimination diet is NOT about losing weight, it is about controlling candida, and finding out what triggers an outbreak. There are NO quick fixes to candida, but diet and supplementation can help control it. Also I am finding there is no cure, it can always come back because something in your immune system is causing you to be susceptible to an over production. Usually it is because you have an internal environment that encourages yeast to grow and an unhealthy immune system that fights that off. You have to fight the yeast and promote your immune system to control it. It is ALOT of work!

The elimination diet is not forever, only until you get a handle on what triggers your problem. Remember carbs are complex sugar, and sugar feeds yeast. Over production of yeast is caused because of a dietary imbalance and only YOU can find out what that imbalance is by doing an elimination diet.

BTW You can do a low carb diet and NOT lose weight. Eat plenty of healthy fats like nuts, avocados, olives, and low GI fruits, vegetables and of course lean meats.

NO sugar, no wheat, or other grain products and eliminate processed foods for as long as you can, and no dairy except yogurt and other cultured products. Fructose, and corn syrup are also big problems so read labels and do not eat ANYTHING with them in it. For some they need to eliminate fermented products like vingear and fungi from their diet as well.

As far as supplementation the major supplements along with regular vitamin and mineral supplementation that are generally used to clear up candida are garlic, lactobacillus, and caprylic acid and fiber. I would also suggest oil of oregano and extra levels of vitamin c as well. You must take a good fiber supplement to rid your bowels of yeast, I personally prefer flaxseed. On this program you will feel horrible at first as the yeast dies off, causing gas and intestinal discomfort. Keep going, and drink lots of filtered water. You might also want to try a cultured tea called Kombucha that seems to help many people. Here is an article on it:

http://w3.trib.com/~kombu/FAQ/index.shtml

However all of this is for nothing if you do not get on a healthy diet. Processed foods and antibiotics probably got you in this predicament along with a messed up immune system. The only way to fix it is to find out what it is that is bothering you and deal with it.

Kellie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 03:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/265/250 Male 6'6"
BF:
Progress:

To frankos, medical doctors are blind to candida, if your being sent home time and time again, guess what it's candida. My suggestion is to be really strict, drink only water, take lots of acidophilus and bifidobacterium supplements. No sugar and no simple carbs. Take lots of glutamine and Vitamin C. If your looking for a magical quick cure, there is none. Unless your positive you have a serious illness stay away from the doctor and save your money and time, and research on how to beat candida. Atkins vitamin book is a great place to start. Beating candida will take some time but be strong and you will be fine
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 04:13

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall

Question; is Candida an infection of parasites in the body?

thankyou whoever answers this.........Gina
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:32

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne

As far as I know, I might be incorrect: Candida albicans is a yeast/fungus that normally lives in our intestines. When it gets out of control (due to the weakening of your immune system for some reason -antibiotics, birth control multiple pregnancies, too much sugar in your diet etc.,) the yeast adopts a parasitic behavior, it starts to eat up your body and mess up your immune system. But it's not a parazite like worms or parameciums.

I warn you, regular doctors don't believe in systemic yeast infectoins.They only deal with vaginal yeast, oral thrush and toe fungus.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne

As far as I know, I might be incorrect: Candida albicans is a yeast/fungus that normally lives in our intestines. When it gets out of control (due to the weakening of your immune system for some reason -antibiotics, birth control multiple pregnancies, too much sugar in your diet etc.,) the yeast adopts a parasitic behavior, it starts to eat up your body and mess up your immune system. But it's not a parazite like worms or parameciums.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:20

BF:

sorry, I messed up, I posted this twice
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany

I warn you, regular doctors don't believe in systemic yeast infectoins.They only deal with vaginal yeast, oral thrush and toe fungus.

well, years ago when my friend was having problems with her bowels, I had her take red clover and she was eliminating paraistes and they came out with antlers and all in her stool. I wonder if this is what is called candida?
alot of people don't want to think about those things living in your body, yet they do. I read about a man once that had a tape worm over 4 feet long living in his body, he eliminated it from his colon, I know , it's gross , but true.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:50

BF:

Hi, this is going to be a long post. I found this, I thought it was interesting.

INTESTINAL PARASITES, BACTERIAL DYSBIOSIS AND LEAKY GUT

EXCERPTS FROM POWER HEALING (RANDOM HOUSE, 1998)
BY LEO GALLAND, M.D.

The human intestine maintains within its inner cavity a complex, crowded environment of food remnants and microbial organisms (called "the intestinal flora") from which the body derives nourishment and against which the body must be protected. The relationship between the human host and her army of microbes is described by the Greek word, symbiosis, which means "living together". When symbiosis benefits both parties, it is called mutualism. When symbiosis becomes harmful, it is called dysbiosis. The first line of protection against dysbiosis and intestinal toxicity is strict control of intestinal permeability, the ability of the gut to allow some substances to pass through its walls while denying access to others. The healthy gut selectively absorbs nutrients and seals out those components of the normal internal milieu which are most likely to cause harm, except for a small sampling which it uses to educate and strengthen its mechanisms of immunity and detoxification.

Bacteria form the largest segment of the intestinal flora. The number of bacteria in the large bowel (about a hundred trillion) exceeds the number of cells in the human body. Intestinal bacteria perform some useful functions, so that our relationship with them is normally one of mutual benefit. They synthesize half a dozen vitamins, supplementing those which are obtained from food. They convert dietary fibre--that part of food which humans cannot digest--into small fatty acids which nourish the cells of the large intestine. They degrade dietary toxins like methyl mercury making them less harmful to the body. They crowd out pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella, decreasing the risk of food poisoning. They stimulate the development of a vigorous immune response. Four-fifths of the body's immune system is located in the lining of the small intestine.

Bacteria are dangerous tenants, however, so that dysbiosis is a common problem. As powerful chemical factories, bacteria not only make vitamins and destroy toxins, but also destroy vitamins and make toxins. Bacterial enzymes can inactivate human digestive enzymes and convert human bile or components of food into chemicals which promote the development of cancer. Some by-products of bacterial enzyme activity, like ammonia, hinder normal brain function. When absorbed into the body, they must be removed by the liver. People whose livers fail this task, because of conditions like cirrhosis, develop progressive neurologic dysfunction resulting in coma and death. For them, the administration of antibiotics which slow the production of nerve toxins by intestinal bacteria can be life saving.

The immune reactions provoked by normal intestinal bacteria may be harmful rather than helpful. Inflammatory diseases of the bowel, including ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease (ileitis), and several types of arthritis have been linked to aberrant immune responses provoked by intestinal bacteria. Two types of aberrancy have been described. First, intestinal bacteria contain proteins which look to the immune system very much like human proteins; they confuse the immune system and may fool the body into attacking itself. Second, fragments of dead bacteria may leak into the wall of the intestine or into the blood stream due to a breakdown in the mechanisms which regulate intestinal permeability. Circulating through the body, bacterial debris is deposited in tissues such as joints, provoking an attack on those tissues by an immune system trying to remove the foreign material.

Bacterial colonies in the human intestine co-exist with colonies of yeasts, which are no less dangerous, just far fewer in number. Bacterial colonization prevents yeasts from expanding their niche. Frequent or prolonged use of antibiotics decimates bacterial colonies, removing the natural brake on yeast growth. The most obvious effects of yeast overgrowth are local infections, like vaginitis, produced when yeast invade and disrupt cells which line the body's surface. Intestinal yeast infections can cause chronic diarrhea, although most gastroenterologists fail to recognize this. Yeast can also provoke allergic reactions, precipitating asthma, hives, psoriasis or abdominal pain. The occurrence of allergic symptoms or the aggravation of a pre-existing allergy which follows the use of antibiotics should always prompt an investigation into yeast overgrowth as a potential trigger. Neglect of this factor by allergists has left countless patients trapped in a spiral of increasing allergic reactivity, augmented each time antibiotics are prescribed.

In addition to bacteria and yeast, most of the world's four billion people are also colonized by intestinal parasites. Contrary to popular belief, parasitic infection is not unusual in the U.S. population. It is a common ocurrence, even among those who have never left the country.

Unlike bacteria, parasites appear to serve no useful function. The part of the immune system which they stimulate does not strengthen the organism to resist serious infection; instead it contributes to allergic reactions, so that parasitic infection increases allergic tendencies. There are two general groups of parasites. The first consists of worms--tapeworms and roundworms--which attach themselves to the lining of the small intestine, causing internal bleeding and loss of nutrients. People infested with worms may have no symptoms or may slowly become anemic. The second category is the protozoa, one-celled organisms like the amoeba which caused John Gerard's colitis. The first protozoa were discovered over three hundred years ago by Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, the most famous of the early microscopists. When the inquisitive Dutchman set about to examine everything in the world that would fit under the lens of a microscope, he found organisms in his own stool that closely match the description later given to Giardia lamblia.

Giardia is the major cause of day-care diarrhea. Twenty to thirty per cent of workers in day care centers harbor Giardia. Most have no symptoms; they are merely carriers. A study at Johns Hopkins medical school a few years ago demonstrated antibodies against Giardia in twenty per cent of randomly chosen blood samples from patients in the hospital. This means that at least twenty per cent of these patients had been infected with Giardia at some time in their lives and had mounted an immune response against the parasite.

In 1990 I presented a paper before the American College of Gastroenterology which demonstrated Giardia infection in about half of a group of two hundred patients with chronic diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain and bloating. Most of these patients had been told they had irritable bowel syndrome, which is commonly referred to as "nervous stomach". I reached two conclusions from this study: (1) Parasitic infection is a common event among patients with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms. (2) Many people are given a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome without a thorough evaluation. My presentation was reported by numerous magazines and newspapers, including the New York Times. My office was flooded with hundreds of phone calls from people who were suffering with chronic gastrointestinal complaints. Most of them had been given a diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) by their physicians. The standard treatment for this syndrome had not helped them. All they had received was a label. Many had been told there was no cure. In evaluating these patients, I found that the majority had intestinal parasites, food intolerance or a lack of healthy intestinal bacteria. These conditions were not mutually exclusive. Many patients had more than one reason for chronic gastrointestinal problems. Treating these abnormalities as they occurred in various patients produced remarkably good therapeutic results. A year later, researchers in the Department of Family Medicine at Baylor University in Houston reported findings similar to mine.

Giardia contaminates streams and lakes throughout North America and has caused epidemics of diarrheal disease in several small cities by contaminating their drinking water. One epidemic, in Placerville, California, was followed by an epidemic of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which swept through the town's residents at the time of the Giardia epidemic. Possibly, this epidemic was due to failure of some people to eradicate the parasite. In 1991, my colleagues and I published a study of 96 patients with chronic fatigue and demonstrated active Giardia infection in 46 per cent.

Sometimes, the intestinal damage produced by giardiasis persists for months after the parasite has been successfully treated. The impairment of digestion and absorption which results from this damage may cause fatigue and other symptoms.

When I first began presenting the results of my clinical research on parasitic infection, in the mid-1980's, my reports were met with considerable skepticism. The present decade has witnessed an increased awareness of parasitic infection as a common public health problem in the United States, thanks largely to Cryptosporidium, which recently achieved notoriety for contaminating Milwaukee's water supply, causing the largest epidemic of diarrhea in U.S. history, infecting 400,000 people and causing over one hundred deaths. Most municipal water supplies in the U.S. today are home to protozoa like Giardia and Cryptosporidium and one in five Americans drinks water that violates federal health standards. Every year, almost a million North Americans become sick from water-borne diseases; about one per cent die. Further epidemics are inevitable. A recent epidemic occurred in Clark County, Nevada, despite state-of-the-art municipal water treatment.

How protozoa make people sick is not clear. Some directly invade the lining of the intestine, others provoke an allergic reaction that causes the damage. It appears certain that humans coexist quite readily with their parasites as long as the barrier formed by the intestinal lining remains fully intact, so that the parasites cannot attach to the wall of the bowel. Millions of people throughout the world are carriers of E. histolytica; the organism can be found in stool samples but it does not seem to make them ill. The variability of pathogenic potential recalls Pasteur's challenge to the French Academy: do the causes of disease lie within the microbe or do they lie within the host? When the attachment of a parasite initiates a series of injuries to the intestinal wall that increase its permeability, it generates a cascade of reactions that can shatter a person's health in many different ways. Excessive permeability permits excess absorption of antigens and microbial fragments from the gut, over-stimulating the immune response, fostering allergy and auto-immunity.

Excess permeability also allows excessive absorption of toxins derived from the chemical activity of intestinal bacteria, stressing the liver. All materials absorbed from the intestine must pass through the liver before entering the body's general circulation. Here, in the cells of the liver, toxic chemicals are destroyed or else prepared for excretion out of the body. The cost of detoxification is high; free radicals are generated and the liver's stores of anti-oxidants are depleted. The liver may be damaged by the products of its own attempts at detoxification. Damage may extend to the pancreas. Free radicals are excreted into bile; this "toxic" bile flows into the small intestine and can ascend into the ducts which carry pancreatic juices, damaging the pancreas, aggravating malnutrition.

The symptoms produced by excessive intestinal permeability may be limited to the abdomen or may involve the entire body. They may include fatigue and malaise, joint and muscle pain, headache and skin eruptions. The clinical disorders associated with increased intestinal permeability include any inflammation of the large or small intestine (colitis and enteritis), chronic arthritis , skin conditions like acne, eczema, hives or psoriasis, migraine headaches, chronic fatigue, deficient pancreatic function and AIDS . In most cases, it is incorrect to think of excessive permeability as the cause of these disorders. Instead, excess permeability occurs as part of the chain of events which causes disease and aggravates existing symptoms or produces new ones.

from mdheal.org