Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 09:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Atkins Bars

I have stayed away from the Atkins bars but last night I picked one up at Trader Joe's and read the label. Guess what? There are NO SUGAR ALCOHOLS in a lot of them! Here's the nutritional info for the Pralines 'n Creme bar:

Total fat: 13
Sat fat: 7
Cholest.: <2mg
Potassium: 140mg
Total carb: 18g
Fiber: 7g
Sugars: 0
Protein: 21g
Glycerin: 8g.

Are these ok to eat every once in a while? They seem to have loads of vitamins. What in there could possibly cause a stall? Thanks guys for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I think it is the glycerine/glycerol that they use, that will raise bloodsugar in some. I am sensitive to artificial sweetners and have even got lowblood sugar from some of those bars but the atkins advantage bars do not bother me.
YMMV
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 09:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oh, those bars make me

Glycerin really messes me up, worse than other sugar alcohols - except, instead of it messing up my stomach, it just makes me puke. Ugh, those things are SO gross!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 09:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/164/125 Female 5"7
BF:?
Progress: 13%

The atkins bars are good for a sweet treat, unfortunatly I cannot have them they make me crave sugary carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 09:38

BF:

Really? I kind of liked it. But then again, I like weird stuff so who knows! :-) But they shouldn't stall me right?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 10:14

Plan: Atkins all the way!
Stats: 192.8/181.2/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I love them, but they stall me big time. I always have one in my purse for "emergencies," but I've had the same one in there for awhile.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 10:16
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I got given a bunch and I am not eating them until I want to maintain, can I freeze them?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 10:17

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

The almond brownie one is the best IMO. I like to spread a little bit of crunchy peanut butter on top....really hits the spot once in a while. I went though a period where I ate one everyday for breakfast, and even then it didn't have any negative effects on my weight loss or cravings or anything. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones!! I agree with the others though...the other flavours are not great!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 11:45
Me and My DH

Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

All the low carb bars out there stall me BIG TIME. Also increased cravings. I have given them up completely. However, yesterday I had one of those Z Bars -- the chocolate/macadamia flavor -- because I read here at the forum that they won't mess you up. Have you tried those?

I tried just the one and have one in the cupboard to spare -- I am so afraid it will stall me again!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 11:55

Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

Some peolpe do not do well with the glycerin and artificle sweetners.

I absolutely love the Atkins Advantage cho. peanut butter, but I do find they make me crave sweets.
For when I endulge I keep a few cut up in smaller pieces in the freezer (they take longer to eat that way) as a treat!
Kristen
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 12:10
Registered Member

Stats: 260/184/150 Male 5.8
BF:?/18%/6%
Progress: 69%

My body treats sugar alchohols like...well laxative...they SUCK.

Glycerin however, doesn't bother or upset my body much at all. I might have a little more of an urge to go to the bathroom or what not...but not by much at all. I think the Smores bar is really good and so far they haven't stalled me. I guess some people just digest things better than other people because I think if everyone digested sugar alchohols the way I do (or don't if you know what I mean)...they wouldn't be for sale. As for Atkins' official bars I'd say try one yourself and then make your call- it messes some people up, for me they aren't a problem.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 12:28

BF:

Ah this is great help, guys! I always thought they had SAs in them. I work in an office and often have to stay late to work without notice so it will be nice to be able to have one of these in my desk to eat until I can go home. Nothing atkins-friendly to order in around here really so it might keep me full and away from the pizza! Cool!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 12:32

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Just a suggestion if the bars do stall you: Keep a can of tuna and a can opener in your desk drawer for emergencies. It may not be the greatest to eat alone, but it's better than starving or going for the pizza!! I think you can also buy tuna salad in a package ready to eat, but I don't know about the expiration date for something like that.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 12:59

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Aren't these bars suppose to be "Meal replacement bars"?

From the sounds of this thread, many people are eating them as snacks, or dessert. No wonder people stall on them... If I ate a second meal for dessert I would stall too.

I still don't see the appeal of this overprocessed junk. If I need something sweet I'd much rather have some fresh blueberries, at least they have some nutritional value.

--nw
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 13:30

BF:

Good idea, Jennlynn!! Maybe some mayo packets too...that would help for sure. Nowonder, I'd love to keep blueberries in my desk....if only they wouldn't go all mushy and fuzzy! :-) Plus, if eating a piece of a bar keeps one away from the vending machine, I see that as a good thing, not bad. Sometimes the chocolate-carby cravings that we women get are strooooooong, and these can be a good tool against going off the wagon, don't you think?