Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 23:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%
Default Eat Fat, Lose Fat

This isn't quite the right place for this, but I thought you would be interested as people here go to the Weston A. Price site a lot.

When I was at Barnes and Noble tonight, I noticed that Sally Fallon and Mary Enig have a book out (Eat Fat, Lose Fat). I can't afford to buy it, but I did spend about two hours reading it and learned a lot from it. Some of what they say about vitamins is different than what I have found posted on the website. (Of course I am not the best web site cruiser).

Anyway, I hope that if you all read the book, you will post some of your comments. I really enjoy it here as so many of you are so much more knowledgeable than I am. Marty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 13:08

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

I haven't read the book yet (am awaiting the Eat Fat lose weight book through the post).

Out of interest, what kind of fats do they promote? I am very interested in the role of fats in the diet, and am presently getting most of my fat from butter and fish/oil. I lowered my intake of omega-6 rich oils and increased the omega-3/saturated fat content of my diet and have been noticing an improvement in asthma/eczema/depression.

What do they say? I personally do very well eating a large amount of my calories from natural fats with less protein and more veggies - I still eat adequate protein though.

Loops
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 19:37
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I haven't read Eat Fat either, but I recently bought Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook which repeats a lot of what's on the Weston Price site, but is more in depth regarding food prep and ingredients in general. She's very pro natural fats in general, and especially saturated fats from meat and tropical vegetable sources.

I've increased my saturated fat intake to probably 60% or more of my total (total fat around 70%) due to high coconut oil consumption. Since I started the coconut oil my triglycerides have dropped 40 points, tc has dropped 20, and hdl has gone up by 8. So I think she's right on with her disagreement with the lipid hypothesis, as was Dr. Atkins.

I'd strongly recommend Nourishing Traditions too. The info on lacto-fermentation is especially interesting to me. Not paleo maybe, but I've started a few batches of lacto-fermented veggies and will see what sort of effect they have.

Wyv
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 22:57

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

They recommend a lot of unrefined coconut oil, and have a mix made up that they use in a lot of recipes that is 1/3 unrefined coconut oil, 1/3 cold pressed or expeller pressed sesame oil, and 1/3 extra virgin olive oil.

What really surprised me that I hadn't found on the site (but I'm not a great site cruiser) was the cod liver oil in amounts that are mentioned in the book. They talked a little about vitamin d, but a lot about vitamin a.

They also talk about how using coconut oil will help people who are lcing lose weight.

It's been an interesting read. Marty
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 23:01
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

I have heard a lot of things about the Nourishing Traditions book; looks like I'll have to add both of those books to my reading list.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 02:24

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%

cod liver oil: I've got capsules and straight oil. The plain oil is too disgusting for words, even my cat loathes it. The caps give me cod liver flavoured wind.
I'd like to take more of this stuff, but it's just vile. Anyone have any ideas?

Zan
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 11:52

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Unfortunately, I can't take any kind of fish oil caps. The last time I tried, about three years ago, I chased everyone out of the ladies room!!! Literally.

#8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 11:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... I've heard there can be a lot of impurities in Cod Liver oil and too much vitamin A, you could risk hurting your liver if you get too much A. I'd take Omega-3 fish oil capsules which I get at Trader Joe's. They've been tested by an independent labortory (Consumer Labs) and have no impurities and have the actual dose they claim of DHA and EFA fats. I take them at night so I don't have to taste them all day long and they've never affected my intestines badly.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 12:03

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Nancy, how much of the fish oil do you take?

oh btw let me relate a funny anecdote. Everyone on Paleo here is usually doing whole foods and I'm preaching to the converted. However, on the other boards there has been a lot of ranting and raving about Dreamfields Low Carb pasta. Well.......

last night I went shopping and came across the Dreamfield's Low Carb pasta. Grabbed a package of generic spagetti to make comparisions. Here's what I found

Dreamfields Spagetti (costs about $4.49) per 85g = 65 carbs
Generic Spagetti (costs about $0.98) per 85 g = 65 carbs

but the front of the Dreamfields box shows - 9 carbs per serving.

What a joke. They have the same carb counts and are charging 4 times more.

However, I did not check the fiber count but it still won't get me eating pasta or anything processed.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 19:00

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ezandreth - Carlson's brand lemon flavored cod liver oil isn't too bad, and the vitamin A content has been reduced if you're concerned about that. I think the problems with A are more with caretenoids though, not actual vit A. Green Pastures Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil has different flavors like mint, etc. My son loves both of them and he's 2.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 07:59

Plan: Eat Fat, Lose Fat; NT
Stats: 215/215/160 Female 68 inches
BF:- in need of detox

I take the Carlson's cod liver oil, the lemon flavored. I usually get it in the morning with some water, but it's also decent on the some salad greens.

I am a big fan of NT and Fallon. I am finishing up the new book and I believe I will use it as the foundation for losing some weight. I already do NT but have been dipping into the honey pot a bit too much. What I love about the new book is the focus in coconut, which I adore! I'll have no problem getting in the recommended amount of coconut products.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 19:44

Plan: High Fat Paleo/some dairy
Stats: 233/207/133 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Speaking of fat, perhaps you knowledgeable people can help me. I read somewhere that people who have lost their gallbladders to overzealous western medical practioners (me) cannot properly utilize omega 3 fats and have all sorts of problems with bloating, retaining fluids, etc.. Does anyone have any info on this because it's hard to find anything on the subject on the net. Even though most low-carb web-sites are full of all sorts of great information, dealing with the lack of a gall bladder is a subject that is not touched upon. Any help would be appreciated.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 05:42

Plan: Eat Fat, Lose Fat; NT
Stats: 215/215/160 Female 68 inches
BF:- in need of detox

I've not read anything about lack of gallbladder and lack of o3 absorbtion.

I don know that MCFA in coconut do not require bile from the gallbladder so they are easier to digest.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 07:01
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Actually I don't think that bile is at all required for fat absorption--it is a digestive aid that breaks fat down physically, not chemically. If I'm not mistaken, you still have some bile in your system anyway, it's just a trickle instead of the large dump you would get from the gallbladder. Therefore the fat takes longer to digest. For some people this means that large amounts of ingested fat will have either a laxative effect or simply cause upset due to the fat just sitting in the digestive tract for much longer than normal. Other people notice no difference whatsoever. I would say that if you eat a high fat meal and it causes the laxative effect, then yes you are probably passing fat through undigested, including precious omega 3's and your fat soluble vitamins. Some lc'ers with their gallbladder removed need to use a lower fat version of their plan to prevent this.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 11:53
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Or maybe just eat smaller, more frequent meals if you want to keep your percentage of dietary fat high.

Wyv