Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:06

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%
Default a serious question....

I am posting this question here, not that I want to be critical or start an arguement, but I thought the question may offend some people. I was in the bookstore today and picked up a copy of the okaniwa (spelling wrong I know) diet and just read the cover, and began wondering....why do the countries with the lowest percentage of obesity seem to eat higher carbohydrate diets? I mean, look a the chinese, they eat rice, noodles, meat...all kinds of things pretty low fat (I am talking traditional chinese, not the resturant stuff we get here) and they seem to enjoy decent health well into old age, same with the japanese. One could argue genetics, but are their genetics really that different from ours? And take the french, they eat bread, wine, pastries and don't have a problem like the US does...

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or input on this????? It really is making me re-think the whole low carb thing......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:11
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Have you been to China or France. They aren't all thin I assure you.

Anyways I think it's there style of living too that keeps some of them slim. For example, alot of the Orientals, walk alot and ride bicycles. And the French too. I see them walk every where or riding there bikes all the time. Ever notice in the states how Europians always have back packs on them. They walk every where. Exercise is the key.

IMO and from what I've seen anyways.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:18

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Carbs didn't make most of us fat. Our lifestyles made us fat.

Cutting the carbs is simply one way of curbing our diet and changing our lifestyle. Low fat works too, but I much prefer low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:20

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

1. Asians may eat rice 3 times a day but in small quantities at each meal (not a plateful heaped with pasta like you see people here do).
2. Asians do not have any other what I call real solid sources of other carbohydrates besides rice and vegetables - cereal, bread, pancakes, potatoes, corn, beans (such as baked in sweet sauces - although they do use some kidney beans) porridge, muffins, dairy, donuts do not play a very large part in their traditional diets. If they do use pasta it is paper thin in which bits of fish, pork or chicken are wrapped or ramen noodles or even green onion cakes (pancakes), but again in small quantities if they do use them.
3. Asians eat a lot of animal and fish , saturated fat, and pork fat.
4. Asians eat traditionally fermented soy, not the crap they make everything with here (and they certainly don't do soy milk, soy cheese, tofu burgers, weiners, etc) and they eat it in very small quantities as a condiment.
5. Asians, with the exception of MSG if they do use it, do not use as much processed food as we do.
6. When north-americans sit down to a meal, it can contain several high-carbohydrate foods at one sitting, for example: corn, potatoes, gravy, bread, rolls, peas besides some meat, whereas Asians do not. It's either rice or noodles but never mixed.
7.Vegetables used are never potatoes, corn, seldom peas in the quantities we use. They use low-glycemic veggies, lots of mushrooms, bok choy, spinach, brocolli, etc.
8. My ex-mother-in-law was Asian. Everything was made from scratch, lots of vegetable, chicken, pork, fish soups and stews, lots of low-carb vegetables, steamed rice (not fried) and fruit.
9. One thing I also need to add is that Asians do not use any bread products of any kind. Even their noodles are usually not made with traditional grains.

While Asians may have less cancers of one type, they have higher cancers of another type for example thyroid.

As for the french, they may eat lots of bread and pastry but it's purely made, with real butter, grain, cream not frankenfoods. They eat pure natural foods, saturated fats, fresh vegetables and no junk foods, although they are starting to. They are also more physically active.

Last edited by Hellistile : Tue, Jun-01-04 at 11:28.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:28

Stats: 222/206/165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I work in a lab with a bunch of chinese people.. they eat rice and veggies like zuchini and some kind of meat every day. They never eat sweets.

I, on the other hand, love(d) a good Ho Ho!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 11:35

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter25
They never eat sweets.

Sorry, I missed that, but it's true. If they eat sweets it's very rarely, not an every day thing and more in tune to traditional holidays, such as moon cakes or some sort of kidney bean concoction wrapped in large leaves and baked.

Another thing I forgot that is very important is that their traditional beverage of choice is always tea, be it green, jasmine, whatever, to which sugar or cream is NEVER added. No soft drinks or fruit juices, heavily laden with sugar.

Last edited by Hellistile : Tue, Jun-01-04 at 12:00.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 12:04

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Also look at portion size, in the North American Super-Size Me mentality, it obviously shows, and even though other countries do eat carbs (and healthy ones at that), the portion sizes are 1/4 of what we scarf down here in this country.

LL
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:35

Stats: 290/203/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:40%/20%/17%
Progress: 109%

I think another big difference is the amount of refined sugars in the North American diet.

Mike
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 15:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think there are a lot of misconceptions regarding what traditional diets in Asian contries look like as well as the quantities consumed. Here are some links that may be of interest, particularly of note is that while they may have a lower incidence of obesity than Western countries (although that too is beginning to change), they have health problems of their own as well:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...d_in_china.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...iets/japan.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...s/thailand.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...orean_beef.html

Keep in mind, too, that even Dr. Atkins readily admits that those with more active lifestyles can tolerate a higher level of carb intake and in many Asian countries, the idea of "leisure time" is a foreign one. They are very active physically, much more so than in most Western countries, but even so Asian countries, particularly China and India, are currently leading the world in new cases of diabetes being diagnosed yearly.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:03

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I can tell you people are from the good old USA. Remember also, that in other countries you do a lot of walking which is the normal transportation. Cars are a luxury of this country and the sedentary life style that we have here. Every time I move and live in another country I lose weight without dieting. Last time I lost 120 lbs eating great desserts and junk, however, I walked everywhere I went. Great excercise !
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:13
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarbkat
I was in the bookstore today and picked up a copy of the okaniwa (spelling wrong I know) diet and just read the cover, and began wondering....why do the countries with the lowest percentage of obesity seem to eat higher carbohydrate diets? .

Hi,

This post caught my attention, there was an article in our Sunday paper, "Okinawa's eat wisely and live longer"

This is quoted from my newspaper, if I had a scanner, I would scan, I just typed the first part of it, quite interesting.

Quote:
Can you envision yourself at 100, completely independent, lean, energetic, and without cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, high blood pressure or frail bones? Sound like a pipe dream? It's not.

The island of Okinawa, off the coast of Japan, is home to elders who have enjoyed the longest, healthiest life expectancy in the world. Heart disease is minimal, breast cancer rare, menopause a breeze and untreated, prostate disease mostly unheard of. This information comes from the Okinawa Centenarian Study, started in 1976, by Dr. Makoto Suzuki and supported by governments, foundations and universities around the worlds. This work has produced more than 200 scientific papers.

Also, here is the website for the diet:

http://okinawaprogram.com

http://okinawaprogram.com/okinawa-d..._diet_plan.html

I find it interesting, if I can get the rest of the article from our paper on here I will, too much to type....

Last edited by SeeMyself : Tue, Jun-01-04 at 16:27.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:23
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
In Okinawa, where the average life span for women is 84 years—longer than in Japan—the inhabitants eat generous amounts of pork and seafood and do all their cooking in lard.22
Franklyn, D, Health, September 1996, 57-63

Just an interesting quote
http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/skinny.html
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:40

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:

Also, look at the ingrediants they use. Chinese use very little wheat in their cooking, unlike Americans. And what wheat they use is different than the refined wheat we use here. They also use lots of rice flour and other kinds.

They eat much less than Americans do. Many chinese ride bikes, which burns off the extra calories, as does walking. Their culture also has a set of standards to go by which means they don't sit in front of the tv, if they even have a tv, and stuff their face. They eat as a family, chat, and enjoy their meals like America USED to do in the 1940'2 before fast food really got to the point it is now.

Asking questions is good, that's how you learn, but I really have to wonder...are you really asking questions to learn? Are you having doubts yourself? If you are, I suggest you do a little internet research. There are some good studies out there that may provide you more information on low carb diets.

Last edited by LisaAC : Tue, Jun-01-04 at 16:46.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 06:26

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know

thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses and comments...

lisaN, thanks for all the great links, very helpful

seemyself, thanks for the links as well..

lisaAC, yes, it is to learn, the subject of food and cultures has always intrigued me. Especially since the "low carb craze" has really took off in this country.

once again, thanks everyone..
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter25
I work in a lab with a bunch of chinese people.. they eat rice and veggies like zuchini and some kind of meat every day. They never eat sweets.

I, on the other hand, love(d) a good Ho Ho!

Ok, that's not true. I can several purely asian sweets that are very popular.

Pocky(cracker sticks covered in candy coating), Yan Yan(cracker sticks you dip in candy coating), Conjaku gels (almost like jello), Colon (crackers filled with chocolate), rice candies which are very sweet and lots of others.