Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 11:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default I've had it with Metformin!

Since I'm one of the unfortunates who has nasty side effects from the Metformin, I cut the dose in half months ago. I still had some diarrhea, but usually at home. Yesterday, it hit me in a shop. I had to ask to use the restroom (which was in an area where customers aren't supposed to go), then, after I got back in the customer area, had to turn around & head back to the bathroom!

It was both embarrassing and unpleasant.

I'm not emotionally ready for the possibility of higher BG #s, so I decided to take it sort of slow. I'm cutting the pills in half. After a week I'll see what the results are. If I'm staying low, I'll cut the dose in half again.

With any luck, I'll be completely off Metformin within a month or so. Anyone want my leftover pills?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 11:52
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

LOL... Bonnie, I feel your pain. Initially my Dr prescribed 2000 MG. after a week I am like yeah no. I mean I never knew one could pee from both holes in them? Awful belly cramps.

I cut it back too 1000 MG once a day. And even that was too much.

Then I cut it back to splitting 500 and 500 two times a day.

Still too much splitting them. Then I did 1/3 and a 1/3 two times. That was fine but the timing of taking the pills wasa must. I couldn't take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Or too close together.

But for me Metoformin never helped with my BGs...

So finally I just cut it out completely. And said not for me.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

You may see a bit of a rebound effect with your BGs but I think with low carb they will go back down fairly quickly.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 13:12

BF:

Maybe I should just brace myself for the possibility of higher numbers for a while & just cut out the Metformin. When I originally cut the dose in half I didn't see all that much of a blip - and I wasn't as low carb as I am now.

I'll have to brace my husband too - he gets alarmed if I wail too loudly after checking my BG!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
I mean I never knew one could pee from both holes in them? Awful belly cramps.

I'd laugh if it weren't so true! But the cramps can actually be helpful - as an early warning system. Yesterday I had no warning at all and barely made it to the bathroom in time. I never, never, never want to go thru that again! I'm too young to need Depends!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 10:03

BF:

So far, so good! On Friday morning I had only 1/4 of my usual daily dose and then decided that was it. My fasting BG yesterday was a tad high, but actually lower than some of my worst days on meds. Kept checking throughout the day (I can get obsessive about it!) and all was good. This morning fasting BG was good, too.

I won't be checking again until this evening as this is my volunteer day & I'm usually too busy to bother.

Why didn't I do this before my latest prescription refill?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm still scared to check my fasting bg, I've been on induction for a little over 2 weeks. Although I've discovered some hidden carbs so I will have to start over again. Still feel pretty good.

I'm so happy to hear you are ditching the pills altogether. This WOE is awesome for those of us with Type 2.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 13:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

All T2s should watch this 13 minute video of a CBN show.Meds may sometimes be reduced quickly with doctor's supervision:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=458299

Dump Sugar, Eat Fat, and Cure Diabetes
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthsc...-Cure-Diabetes/
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 07:26

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

The problem with lowering Metformin dose is that for most people it is only effective at the higher doses. I had to say goodbye to this drug, some of us just can't tolerate it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 08:14

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

First, metformin only lowers your blood sugar by making your cells less insulin resistant...which means it's not going to have an instantaneous reaction. If you've been taking it for awhile *and* you've been following your diet (low carb or even the 140gm per day) and you still have high BG's, you might need another med along with the metformin or perhaps to lower your carbs more or be careful of what carbs you do eat.

If you're having problems with the metformin (aka glucophage) regular, ask your doctor for the extended release form (glumetza). Many people find that they don't have the same stomach/intestinal issues with the extended release.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 15:55

BF:

Thought it was time to update my post-Metformin journey. My BGs climbed up a bit until last week, then they started coming down. My fasting BG averages what it was while taking Metformin - anywhere from 115 to 140, but my 4 or more hours after eating checks are starting to look really great! Down to 103, 104 & today before lunch - 98!

Most days I'm keeping my carbs down to 10 grams - give or take a little. I think that really helps. Even on my off days - no more than once a week - I don't go over 20 carbs.

Take that, ADA dietary guidelines!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 17:13
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Congrats Bonnie! That is fantastic news...

Doing the happy dance with you!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 03:02

Plan: Dr Berstein
Stats: 285/265/175 Female 67 inchees
BF:
Progress:

My Dr. put me on Metformin a few years ago to try to help with insulin resistance and to help with weight loss. It was a disaster. Terrible GI upset. Gas, bloating, diarrhea, nausea. I took it for a month and I was miserable. I was convinced I just could not tolerate it. Flash forward to Jan 2014 my IR is now Diabetes. BG was 255 and A1C 8.8. New Dr. wants me to start Metformin. I told him about my previous experience. He tells me it is the best choice and he would like me to try again but to go very slow. I started with a half pill at dinner (250mg). I had a little tummy rumbling the first day but that was all. By the second day nothing at all. After 5 days I added a half pill at breakfast. I tolerated that too. The week following I bumped the dinner dose to one pill. A few days later the breakfast dose to one pill. I eventually bumped up to 2000 mg a day 2 at breakfast and two at dinner. Very little tummy trouble. If I get a little high in my carbs it can trigger a little diarrhea. It has been a completely different experience this time. The best news is my fasting BG was 103 this morning. Lowest yet! I wanted to jump up and down. It has been 103-120 for the last couple weeks.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 04:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Tarah!
That is fantastic news, glad it is working out for you. Did you also start Dr Bernstein at same time or before?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 23:35

Plan: Dr Berstein
Stats: 285/265/175 Female 67 inchees
BF:
Progress:

I changed to a Low Carb diet then and have been reading, researching and tweaking my eating plan since then. Am in the process of reading Dr Bersteins Book right now. Using My NetDiary iPhone app to track foods and BS. There is so much to learn. It is nice to see big changes happening for my effort both in my BG numbers and on the scale. Down about 20lbs since January.