Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 23:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Fibromyalgia or Candida??

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but after reading over some of the symptoms of candida, a lot of the symptoms sound the same. Is there a chance I have candida instead of FMS or is there a connection between the two? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much.

~~Lisa~~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 23:59

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Lisa, welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed with FM and have been very pleased with how much relief I've gotten when lcing. When I tried to add wheat back to my diet, I got all the symptoms back for a week, so I'm staying off grains for awhile til my gut heals, and then maybe try to add back oats eventually. So I say, be very careful of wheat. Seems it causes autoimmune problems with a lot of people. About candida, I have wondered myself. I got tested years ago, and I was borderline and took Nystatin for awhile and it didn't change anything. I recently took Oil of Oregano and Olive leaf just to see, and after a day or two of some reaction (loose bowels), it didn't seem to have any effect that I could notice. So, I know the symptoms are the similar, but doubt if there's always a connection. Maybe not always from eating wheat either. Just two things to try...hope you have success.--Gail
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 11:09

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Lisa.

I don't know about an actual candida link, but it is pretty well known that fibro patients do real well with low carb. There is a theory or two out there that fibro is actually a food sensitivity in disguise.

There is a fibro sub-forum here in the health section. Check out the threads and let us know if you have any questions and I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help.

Yes, I have fibro. Was diagnosed inthe 90's (i think) but suffered with it for years before. The only relief I ever had was when I do Atkins strictly. But this time, don't notice the relief quite as much but haven't been on it again for very long. I;m hoping to see it again soon.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 09:51

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

The SCD diet, especialy the yogurt they make helps greatly with yeast problems, IBD, UC, colitis, Fibro, CS, and MS.

A good friend of mine was cured of UC in 4 months on that diet. I had eczema and dry skin my whole life until I started using the SCD yogurt (which I believe has no carbs since it is fermented 24 hours).

The SCD diet is basically a higher carb form of Atkins, which allows honey and more fruits, but no grains. I do SCD and Atkins together, as they are very similiar.

Last edited by MoseyMan : Wed, Mar-30-05 at 09:55. Reason: add more to post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 18:58

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 140/135/100 Female 5'3"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 13%

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/CFS but I think the underlying cause may be candida and reactive hypoglycemia. I only get fibro flareups when I consume certain foods or large amounts of sugar/refined foods. The resulting fatigue and symptoms sound like Fibro, but they are only brought on when I am consuming allergenic/yeast-promoting foods and large quantities of carbs.

Moseyman- Isn't honey a sugar? Do you suppose if someone did a yeast-elimination version of Atkins, that would be as effective as SCD for fibro/candida? Or is there something beneficial about the higher carb level?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 07:26

Hi, Msfortune - I'm answering your question to moneyman with someknowledge I have. And that is the raw, unheated honey is supposed to be extremely beneficial to us. I have not tried it, just read about it. Apparently, the unheated kind does not jack up the blood sugar the way that the honey on the grocery shelves does. Perhaps moneyman can remember one of the primary authors on this subject, because i can't remember the name right now. You can find it on the paleo website. This person has a book out and advocates snacks of large pieces of homemade bread (the good kinds) with raw butter and the honey on it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 09:38

Thanks, I may try the honey as a last resort. I actually have a sugar-free honey but I'm not sure that would have the same effect as it is probably just honey-colored maltitol syrup!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 09:53

I haven't tried it. I am assuming I can get it at the health food store, but not sure. I know I can get raw honey there, but it has to be the unheated kind. (in other words, not pasturized)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 09:55

I haven't tried it. I am assuming I can get it at the health food store, but not sure. I know I can get raw honey there, but it has to be the unheated kind. (in other words, not pasturized)

I will try to find out the name. I wrote it down somewhere, but my library didn't have the book.

Later added: here it is: Aajonus Vonderplanitz
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 10:32

BF:

I’m not sure what reactive hypoglycemia entails, but if I use sugar or ingest MSG or some types of preservatives, my heart skips and I get weird. (Ketchup really does me in.) Honey does not have this effect on me. Good raw honey contains probiotics and does not affect sugar levels the same way as other carbs like white sugar.

The SCD diet book is well worth a read by anyone with autoimmune disease. It explains the difference in types of sugars and why honey is ok to use.

The SCD diet limits the diet to easily digestible sugars such as very ripe fruits and honey (when used in moderation.) Because these carbs are digested - they do not promote bad yeast; they don’t lie in the intestinal tract feeding the bad yeast.

There are some foods that Atkins allows, that SCD does not, which will cause inflammation. I would think, since the two diets are so close, that if you added in the 24 hour fermented yogurt to Atkins, and eliminate those foods not on SCD diet, that would work well to eliminate yeast.

Studies have shown that carbs that are not digested promote celiac disease, milk intolerance, cystic fibrosis, UC, IBD, and other autoimmune diseases.

If you want to lose weight, you should avoid or limit honey and eat lower carb fruits.

In my opinion, the yeast syndrome is a bunch of hogwash! If you eat the 24 hour yogurt, (which is a probiotic) and limit your carbs, that will clear up any yeast troubles you have without expensive supplements or taking any strange oils to kill the bad yeast. The trick is to promote a balance of good/bad bacteria, not kill off all of them, which is what most yeast treatments do, including meds from a doctor. I was told years ago, not to take any more antibiotics because my kidney shut down from my family doctor over-prescribing antibiotics for most of my life – the ER doc told me, if I really needed antibiotics one day, they probably would not work if I continued to take them for every cold that drifted by.

Since I have used the yogurt, I no longer get colds, sinus infections or the flu, and I was sick every other week before. This yogurt also helped me cure a developing ulcer in my stomach. I know a few women who swear by this yogurt who suffered for years with bladder, urinary tract, kidney, and yeast infections. If you take antibiotics, it kills the good bacteria too and sets you up for re-infection. You need to put the good bacteria back into your body consistently in order to get well. (Some probiotics can be used as a douche to clear up internal yeast infections and my daughter has done this a few times successfully)

I also suffered from chronic back, neck, hip and shoulder pain and my doctor said I had a short walk to go before he diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. When I stopped using seed oils, all my pain went away! I only use cold pressed coconut oil & olive oil, and butter. When I hit a Wendy’s or McDonalds (which uses seed oils) my pain comes back.

I have read such horrible things about the oils the average person consumes; all of them lead to chronic inflammation - because they are so high in omega 6s.

I recently stopped buying regular meats and now I only buy “grass fed (80-90%)” milk, butter, cheese, and beef; which are high in omega 3s and low in 6s. (Bought at health food store) This has made a big impact on my energy, balance, sleeping, clear mindedness, mood, and belly fat! Years ago, all the animal products contained high levels of omega 3s and low 6s naturally, now most of them have barely discernable traces of omega 3s unless they are raised with little grains, corn, and soy and they are mostly grass fed. I guess if we don’t eat wheat, our food shouldn’t either.

I hope this helps and I hope it wasn't too much information!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 10:56

Thanks so much MoseyMan, you really know your stuff! I am relieved to hear that the answer is not in pills. I am on so many medications right now and pretty sure one if not all are the cause or are contributing to my weight gain and many of my symptoms. Recently my father, who is a doctor but not my primary physician, prescribed cipro (antibiotic) for me. I would like to tell him though that the problem is with my diet (which is horrendous and full of trans fats, seed oils, sugar, white flour, yeasts and starches, and may not need more pills. Thanks a lot, I was losing hope and afraid that I may need to endure more experimentation with medication, but really I know that I need to eliminate certain things from my diet that humans shouldn't be eating anyway. I am doing Atkins induction right now so I cannot have yogurt but I have purchased probiotic capsules and will make sure my meat is grass-fed and limit my omega 6 fats. Thanks again for all the advice
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 11:19

BF:

I think the SCD 24 hour fermented yogurt contains no lactose (milk sugars) and is carb free. Which would make it like eating sour creme or cheese. It is not sweet like yogurt from the store, but I love it. You make it yourself and let it ferment until all of the lactose is gone. It should be all protein and fat by the time it is ready to eat.

Good luck on the induction, ug that part is hard!

Last edited by MoseyMan : Thu, Mar-31-05 at 11:20. Reason: spelling error
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 13:22

BF:

I searched a few sites to find out the carb content in regular yogurt and the SCD yogurt.

Seems this is a hot debate on some sites, with people bashing each other. Funny stuff.

24 hour fermented yogurt made with half and half = 2 carbs per cup. Based on science or something, so they claim. I am a believer.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 14:19

Thank you! I will look into it. How about Oil of Oregano, I found it at GNC, and it seems to be recommended on these boards. ANyone have any success fighting yeast with it?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 06:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

An overwhelming number of people have. It really works!!! If you get gelcaps make sure you get 150 mg or more.