Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 16:26

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default magnesium question

Where did cavemen get their magnesium. I take 400-800mg every night and it makes a huge difference in the way I feel. I would love to get enough to feel this good in my diet instead but I can't figure out where such a huge amount would come from. Do you think I need more because I eat some dairy ?
Does dairy make you require more for some reason?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Blood Paleo
Stats: -/114/- Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Magnesium naturally occurs in dark leafy vegetables, nuts, beef, pork, poultry, fish, seeds, some fruits (figs are great sources of mineral), some neolithic vegetables, cereals and legumes, cocoa, shellfish, and, I'm told, dairy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 18:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Where did cavemen get their magnesium. I take 400-800mg every night and it makes a huge difference in the way I feel. I would love to get enough to feel this good in my diet instead but I can't figure out where such a huge amount would come from. Do you think I need more because I eat some dairy ?

Probably from water. They didn't drink the ultra-purified stuff we do. They drank of lakes and streams that contained rocks, composed of minerals, which eventually degrade.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 21:04

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

what form of Mg do you take?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 21:15

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

great question as I use magnesium oil I have researched this and in my opinion it came from the oceans and probably streams, rivers and rain waters. Magnesium is water soluble and third most present mineral in sea water. Humans have started as sea creatures after all and human blood is similar to sea water chemically speaking so it's essential for us to swim in the sea water to really replenish Mg and few other minerals

Quote:

Magnesium is present in seawater in amounts of about 1300 ppm. After sodium, it is the most commonly found cation in oceans. Rivers contains approximately 4 ppm of magnesium, marine algae 6000-20,000 ppm, and oysters 1200 ppm.

Magnesium is a dietary mineral for any organism but insects. It is a central atom of the chlorophyll molecule, and is therefore a requirement for plant photosynthesis. Magnesium cannot only be found in seawater, but also in rivers and rain water, causing it to naturally spread throughout the environment.

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/wa...m#ixzz0rvQ9t96S
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 05:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
what form of Mg do you take?

I take something from Swanson's called Triple Magnesium Complex, each capsule is 400 mg. It's the only kind I've ever tried and it seems to really work for me.

Nancy, I bet you're right about the water. I hate taking supplements but maybe in this case it's the only thing I can do considering our water is not at all the same as caveman's. I can't imagine eating enough foods to get as much magnesium as I need to feel good. I would be chewing greens all day like a chimp.

hmm, I wonder if homemade green veggie juice would be a good substitute for mineral rich water
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 05:57

Priiya, what is blood paleo? Did you get a little too into the Twilight saga?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
I take something from Swanson's called Triple Magnesium Complex, each capsule is 400 mg. It's the only kind I've ever tried and it seems to really work for me.
This contains 350mg magnesium oxide 40mg magnesium citrate, 10mg magnesium aspartate.
While it is good to hear this works for you, MOST people will find the over-reliance on magnesium oxide means only 4% of the 350mg will be available to them.

Krispin suggests that Albion Patent Mineral Chelates are the most reliable source
Here are a couple of examples from IHERB
Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium,
Bluebonnet Nutrition, Chelated Magnesium
Swanson's are very good for
Magnesium Oil

Mg chloride and Mg L-aspartate in combination with vitamin B6 caused statistically significant compensation of magnesium deficit.

these are also worth considering as they are also well absorbed.
Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Malate

More details here about transdermal magnesium

Iherb $5 discount code ~~~~~~ UK readers keep order value under £18 or pay VAT + £8 handling charge. Pity Swanson's have such expensive shipping to UK compared to IHERB.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 07:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I hmm, I wonder if homemade green veggie juice would be a good substitute for mineral rich water
Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water
As my tap water is fine and I have a soda stream this is very easy and cheap for me to make. Tastes OK and has raised the PH of my previously acid urine to normal. In fact it's very nice to drink and I'm now drinking more water than before and have much improved the specific gravity of my urine showing I'm now better hydrated.

I think the big difference in magnesium status between modern human and paleo folks is because magnesium is water soluble and it's been washing off the land, into the rivers and then into the sea for so many thousands of years. Also modern farming methods have accelerated the rate of washout.
Evidence of decreasing mineral density in wheat grain over the last 160 years.The concentrations of zinc, iron, copper and magnesium remained stable between 1845 and the mid 1960s, but since then have decreased significantly, which coincided with the introduction of semi-dwarf, high-yielding cultivars.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sun, Jun-27-10 at 07:08.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:26
Experimenter

BF:

I keep meaning to try the magnesium water.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I keep meaning to try the magnesium water.
The hardest part is finding a source of unflavored magnesium hydroxide. Most "Milk of Magnesia" is mint flavored. I found a "Co op" chemist locally was prepared to order some. It's about half the price of Philips Milk of Magnesia the UK brand leader.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 11:11
Experimenter

BF:

#13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 02:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
the careful administration of 16 oz. of Milk of Magnesia with a "turkey basting syringe" is indicated.... Allow the horse to make voluntary swallows
We've a close relative who is a vet and her kids were more often treated with veterinary care treatments than from local GP with no apparent adverse effect.

To make the concentrate you use 3 tablespoons (45 ml) milk of magnesia.
Only a third of that concentrate goes into 4 litres of water = 1 tbs Milk of magnesia.

So 1 US gallon=3,790ml and will make about 1000 litres of magnesium water.

I'm off to the local agricultural/equine suppliers for my next batch.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Blood Paleo
Stats: -/114/- Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Ha ha. Cute.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 08:28

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:

He he... based on the signature in her previous post above, I would guess it's based on Dr. D'Adamo's blood (and/or genotype) diet(s). He authored the book Eat Right 4 Your Type.