Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 07:46

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hanging my head because a 13 min mile would be a good time for me. I probably hadn’t run in like 10 years (did a 5K in 2006). Right around Christmas I tried running a mile just for the heck of it. I did it. My time was 13:30.

There’s a learn to run seminar being put on by my gym next week. It’s being put on some guy who runs the Boston Marathon. Thinking of attending it.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 20:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I haven't posted here in a while, but that does not mean that I've been slacking. May has been a good month. This new fitness tracker with heart rate monitor plus my goal to stick with the low zone cardio workouts (MAF training) throughout the year has made me up my game. My casual daily walking routine has turned into some sort of real workout almost daily. I've got my endorphin buzz back - just as I did when I was 300+ pounds and walking 3+ miles as my workout. I don't know that I'm seeing any real benefit yet, although I do feel more fit and capable than ever. I walked the stairs on my cruise last week - avoiding the elevators - just for fun and the fitness aspect of it. I even walked the stairs for over an hour one day as my workout and felt no ill effects the next day. I'm liking this new me. I'm liking it a lot.

The plan for the summer is to do what I did last year (except the weight gain part). I need to get on with the siding and paint project on my house in the evenings. To get my workouts in I will need to get up early -- up with the sun -- to put in an hour workout before work. Breakfast may become optional. I may try some more frequent IFs. I want to stay busy, eat less, and continue to get my workouts in. I'm looking forward to the challenge. Bring on the work.
  #198   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 11:50
Say NO to Diabetes!

We've had stormy weather in recent days, so this past weekend I had to get my workouts in at the Y. Yesterday I put in a good 2 hour MAF walk/jog workout on the indoor track (approx. 8 miles). I do seem to be progressing. I'm still having to alternate walking and jogging to stay within my MAF heart rate zone, but I'm now able to get in more jogging than walking. When I first started this I'd have to walk more than I jogged. My HR does not seem to fluctuate as much either. Early on just a few seconds of jogging would shoot my HR above my MAF zone, then after some walking it would drop below my MAF zone. The whole workout would be zig-zagging above and below my target zone (115-130 bpm). Yesterday I was able to find a combination of jogging and walking that kept me in my MAF zone 90% of the time. I don't know how long it will take me to reach the point where I can slow jog continuously within my target zone, but it appears that I am making progress in that direction.
  #199   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 20:38
Say NO to Diabetes!

7 mile, 42 minute bicycle ride yesterday. I can't even remember the last time I rode a bike for any significant distance. I started driving in 1979 and pretty much parked the bicycle after that. I've never done cycling as a workout regimen. I enjoyed yesterday's ride. It worked different muscles and I'm feeling them today. It will be interesting to see if I will make this a regular thing. Time will tell.

Tonight I walked/jogged for 6 miles in 90 minutes, staying within my MAF zone most of the time. Another enjoyable workout.
  #200   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 08:21
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Ken, you mentioned you monitor your heart rate on your fitness tracker. Which one are you using? I'm using the Fitbit Blaze and when I start sweating and moisture gets between the contact points and my arms, it stops registering on the device itself, so it's hard to see what I'm doing. I think it must register (or estimate) because when I sync to the app on my phone, it shows that it has registered something. Just curious if you have something that works better. I've thought about getting one of the chest straps that will report to any number of apps for tracking. Wondering if that works better.
  #201   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 09:47
Say NO to Diabetes!

I'm using the Garmin Vivoactive HR. BJs wholesale club had it on sale for $150 (retail was $250), so I bought it. I like it a lot. The HR monitor wigs out sometimes, but IMO it does a decent job most of the time. I've had a chest strap monitor before and I had more trouble with it than I've had with this wrist HR monitor. So I'd say that this one works fine for my purposes. I'm happy with it. I like some of the 'smart watch' features as well. I've customized it quite a bit with new apps, watch faces and widgets. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I was at BJs this past weekend. Ours still has this device priced at $150.
  #202   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 10:05
Boldly going...

Good to know! Thanks Ken. It sounds like it works a lot like my Fitbit Blaze. I've not been really concerned about the heartrate portion of it, but have been following the information you posted and your progress, and I've been considering it. We don't have BJs here, but I'm sure I could find a comparable deal somewhere.
  #203   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 20:33
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default MAF Workout Progress

In the weeks since purchasing my new fitness tracker with HR monitor I've really put it to good use. It seems that most everyday I'm working out a little harder than before, shooting for that MAF low cardio zone. I was a little surprised, or better stated -- somewhat disappointed, with how little effort it took to exceed my MAF HR limit, which for me is about 130 bpm max. When I started this speed walking was not enough to reach my minimum HR (115 bpm) and the slowest jogging would soon put me over. I could find a way to stay in the MAF zone on exercise equipment well enough, but I found it difficult to do on my walking/jogging sessions. I had to mix walking and short slow jogs to stay in the ballpark of my target heartrate when out pounding the pavement. I've kept at it, though. I want to see if this MAF thing works.

But alas, I've made some progress. Today at the Y I was able to keep jogging 95% of the time on a 1 hour MAF workout. The indoor track at the Y is 1/16th of a mile, flat, and the room is kept cool. It was a slow jog (5 mph) and when I stuck to that slow pace my HR was planted in the 125 to 130 range (the max of my MAF zone). I goofed a couple of times and started jogging at a faster pace. When that happened and my HR crept too high I'd walk for a short distance to get back the HR back in the zone, then resume slow jogging.

So I am a happy camper. This does appear to be working. I am clearly improving my low zone cardio stamina. I'm working a little harder and the HR is staying the same. In another couple of weeks I hope to be doing a more "normal pace" jog while staying in my MAF HR zone. But is that wishful thinking? I guess all that I can do is to keep doing my thing. What will be will be.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jun-07-18 at 20:41.
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 21:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

cool beans man!
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 08:11
Boldly going...

That's awesome, Ken! I'm definitely watching this for my own interest.
  #206   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 09:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

No MAF workouts this past weekend, although I did plenty of walking, cycling, and an upper body workout at the Y. I've had my new (used) bike for just over a week. I've put it to good use. I've taken the bike out several time during the week for short rides with my daughters. My girls enjoy biking over walking or jogging. It is nice to have something that we can do together. I cycled for 9 miles on Saturday and 6 miles on Sunday in on my own, in addition to my normal walking routine. The butt is a little sore today. It is going to take some time to get used to sitting on a bike again. But I am enjoying this new activity. It looks like it may become a permanent part of my active lifestyle.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Jun-12-18 at 12:22.
  #207   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 19:41
Say NO to Diabetes!

5 mile MAF outdoor walk/jog. 4.2 mph - 72 minutes.
  #208   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 20:39
Say NO to Diabetes!

5+ mile MAF jog indoors at the Yes I said JOG. I was able to jog an entire hour keeping my HR at or very close to my MAF zone without doing any walking. For the first 40 minutes my HR was firmly planted in the zone between 125 and 135 BPM. As I tired I got a little sloppy and started jogging too fast. The HR in that last 20 minutes bumped up to 140 a couple of times. But I was able to simply slow down and get back into the zone. I'm definitely making progress. BTW: the jog tonight was on the 2nd day of an EF. I had plenty of energy for the workout. Keto stick was darker purple tonight.

This past weekend I enjoyed 2 longer bike rides, 6 miles on Saturday and a total of 11 miles on Sunday. I'm liking the bike. It definitely works the muscles differently, though. My legs were like rubber on Sunday night. I was still feeling sore on Monday and Tuesday. Those were recovery days. I would like to add bicycling to my workout regimen, but that might pose a conflict with my MAF training. To achieve the full benefit of working the low cardio zone, it is suggested that harder cardio be avoided for the 3 to 6 months that it takes to reach the peak of low cardio efficiency. Checking my HR during those bicycling outings broke that rule bigtime. During some of the hill climbing my HR was full red zone cardio. I still want to use my bike to workout. But I'll try some easier, flatter streets in an adjacent neighborhood. If I find the right course, perhaps I can still make this work without messing up my MAF goals too much.
  #209   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 13:57
Say NO to Diabetes!

I did a 12 mile MAF walk/jog through the neighborhood this morning. I was feeling good and the weather was nice (for a change), so my planned 7 mile outing turned into just over 12 miles in 3 hours. That was the longest distance that I've covered in one workout since I was 20 years old. It was fairly cool outside, but humid. I lost 7 pounds of sweat and was totally soaked by the time I was done. After a shower I felt great. I still have plenty of energy for the day.

As far as the MAF thing goes... I was able to slow jog on the flats and downhill legs of my neighborhood walk for most of the first 8 miles. I walked the uphill sections. Later in the workout I had trouble keeping my HR below 135 and had to cut back on the jogging. The last 2 miles I was simply walking at a quick pace to keep my HR planted firmly in my optimal 120 to 130 BPM MAF zone. I'd read that it is normal to have to slow down in the later stages of a longer workout. That appears to be true. My average speed for the first several miles was 4.3 MPH. The last two miles I was only moving 3.7 MPH, but still in the MAF target zone.

Yesterday I squeezed in a 30 minute bike ride between thunder storms. I rode in the flatter neighborhood next to ours. My HR was fairly consistent and mostly in my MAF zone. So it looks like I can make bicycling workouts part of my MAF training. I may go for a spin later this afternoon when it cools down (if the thunder storms don't pop up again).

Last edited by khrussva : Sat, Jun-23-18 at 14:03.
  #210   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 18:21
Say NO to Diabetes!

The coming storms fizzled out. I did get in a 32 minute bicycle ride this evening. I stuck to flatter streets, averaging 10.5 mph. My heartrate was great -- averaging 117 with a peak of 131. I could have worked a little harder and still been on target. Last weekend's 17 miles of cycling my legs whipped for the next 2 days. On tonight's ride I could hardly tell I'd done that long workout this morning. Bicycling definitely uses different muscles. Maybe doing both as MAF workouts will prove extra beneficial. I'm not in bicycling shape yet. I've got more work to do.