Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 14:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/146/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Oat & Wheat Fibre Substitute for flour?

Hello
I've been trying to low-carb for about 9 years. I was looking again today for low-carb recipes and came across some zero carb ones. That's new in my experience. The ingredients were mostly oat fibre, wheat fibre, and psyllium. Do these ingredients take the place of regular white or whole wheat flour? And if so, where can we get them in the U.S. and are they reasonably priced? I would love to occassionally be able to indulge in baked good without carbs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 15:19

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I wouldn't go near the wheat fiber unless it somehow doesn't have gliadin and the oats have to be specially processed away from wheat. Many here are trying to be completely grain free so they might not be a popular choice.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 05:38

BF:
Progress:
Default Is there a flour substitute?

So is there anything anyone has discovered to use in place of flour with which to make baked goods?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 07:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi.

Zero carb baked goods recipes are pretty much fiction, unfortunately. Have a browse through the Bread and Baked Goods forum. Unfortunately, there really is no single reliable substitute for flour.

I pretty much limit my "flours" to ground almonds, ground flax seed, and coconut flour. They should be available at grocery stores in the health food section.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 07:52

BF:
Progress:
Default Zero Carb Baked Goods

Hello.
Yesterday when I saw zero-carb bread for sale I wondered if it was true. Just like the really low carb pasta a few years ago, which turned out to raise my blood sugar just like regular pasta did. FICTION. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 09:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use coconut flour and almond meal for the most part. Almond meal I buy at Trader Joe's, coconut flour I buy online. I get Nutiva or Aloha Nhu.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 09:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Check out my recipe website Breads and also the Sweets section. I often use a little oat fibre (never wheat fiber) and occasionally a little psyllium in my baked goods, but almost always along with almond or coconut flour. I'm just beginning to experiment with lupin flour (a legume) that is extremely low-carb (1 net carb per 1/4 c.) and that produced amazing soft, chewy Lemon Cookies last night. I don't think ANY of these can be used 100% 1:1 replacements for wheat flour in recipes. They are usually used in combination and not by themselves.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 11:34

BF:
Progress:

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the help. Lots has changed since I took an interest in low-carb baking years ago (and then kind of gave up for a bunch of reasons).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 13:48

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannaRae
Hello.
Yesterday when I saw zero-carb bread for sale I wondered if it was true. Just like the really low carb pasta a few years ago, which turned out to raise my blood sugar just like regular pasta did. FICTION. Thanks.

I bought some made with almond flour and it was disgusting.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-13, 21:18

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

There are hundreds of recipes out there. Some are wonderful and some are disgusting. You just have to keep looking and trying. Your best bet is to use recipes that have been developed by the most accomplished cooks on low carb forums and buying cookbooks with high ratings.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-13, 23:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd start with a popular recipe and buy what they suggest using. Don't just try to substitute for flour with something you're not used to using.

I've had almond flour biscuits that were awesome.

http://healthyindulgences.net/2008/...-free-biscuits/
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 10:43

Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

There is a woman who makes a baking mix of coconut flour, oat fiber, protein powder, egg white powder and baking powder...google better than flour and ouizoid and you can check out the proportions. It is low calorie and very low carb...due to coconut flour and oat fiber in it I think you would have to add extra eggs and fluid to keep things moist.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 00:32

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LeannaRae,

I take the other approach when it comes to trying to find baked goods with low carb ingredients and that is simply have very little of something that I fancy so that it doesn't go above my carb count for the day. For instance this morning I had a slice of toast with the emphasis being on “a” as in one and obviously the rest of the day was tailored to make sure that my carb allowance didn't go above my daily threshold.

This isn't something I do very often as it's not a habit that I want to get back into but it is certainly a lot easier than faffing around with things that never really taste the same.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S.
This post comes with a temptation health warning.