Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 09:01
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
I'm looking forward to trying this recipe out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/slow.../#axzz22tgZ1dwp

I also like to buy individually wrapped salmon from Costco. I can defrost it in cold water and pop it under the broiler. Easy peasy.

I made this last week.

This was tender and flavorful. I did double up all the spices. garlic and ginger.

We shredded it and served it warm in lettuce wraps with toasted coconut, cilantro, and chili sambal. It was the bomb!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 14:47

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I made this last week.

This was tender and flavorful. I did double up all the spices. garlic and ginger.

We shredded it and served it warm in lettuce wraps with toasted coconut, cilantro, and chili sambal. It was the bomb!

I think my problem is that when I made it, I kept wanting it to taste like the pork carnitas that I get from my local Mexican restaurant, El Rinconsito. I know how silly that sounds, but I think that's why I felt let down. I really like this cut of meat and I'd like to actually try making carnitas with onion, cilantro, and lime.

I didn't hate this recipe, I just think it would have tasted better (for me) if I'd left out the ginger and then after it was done cooking, shredded it and thrown it under the broiler for a few minutes. I had some leftovers for lunch and put lime and salt on it. And I cut up a whole avocado and had that on the side.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 18:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
I think my problem is that when I made it, I kept wanting it to taste like the pork carnitas that I get from my local Mexican restaurant, El Rinconsito. I know how silly that sounds, but I think that's why I felt let down. I really like this cut of meat and I'd like to actually try making carnitas with onion, cilantro, and lime.

I didn't hate this recipe, I just think it would have tasted better (for me) if I'd left out the ginger and then after it was done cooking, shredded it and thrown it under the broiler for a few minutes. I had some leftovers for lunch and put lime and salt on it. And I cut up a whole avocado and had that on the side.

Carnitas is carnitas.
Mexican.
Ginger Coconut Pork definitely is not mexican.
This is more Thai inspired.
I can't wait to tweek this recipe even more.
I do both and this was a nice change.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 19:21

Yeah I know, that's why I said I know it sounds silly. I think it's what you're used to... or what you get used to. For instance, menudo is eaten readily in Mexico but I could never stomach it. Lol seriously, no pun intended! Or, I love Indian food but my dad hates it. I think if I were to sample more Thai food, I would acquire the taste. But truthfully, I've never been to a Thai restaurant, so that's on my to-do list.

OT, but have you ever eaten Vietnamese cuisine? I tried lemongrass chicken before and thought it was excellent. I love the flavor.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 03:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/160 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Quote:
I tried the pork thing. It sucked. But with that being said, I still think pork shoulder/butt is a really good cut of meat. I might just cook it all by itself with no seasonings or anything and then just shred it and put lime and salt on it. It's really easy on the stomach.

Costco sells a decent size already cooked package of pulled pork. Its so freaking good!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesmon
Costco sells a decent size already cooked package of pulled pork. Its so freaking good!

I have actually had theirs and I think if you try cooking it at home, it will taste a hundred times better. I like salt, don't get me wrong, but I think that pulled pork was soaked in brine. I think it's probably really easy to do. Just put the meat in, add a few things, and place in oven all day at a low temp. Or slow cooker if you have one.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 00:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 206/170/150
BF:don't know
Progress: 64%

All salad greens,alfalfa sprouts,celery,peppers, cucumbers,mushroms, radishes, Bok Choy, (theses are all neglible carbs} Other vegtebales such as broccoli, califlower,snow peas and tomatoes etc. are fine, just count their carbs.
I make al ow carb version of BLTs Take a large leaf of lettuce, spread mayo on it with tomatoes and bacon and wrap it up) YUMMY!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 18:59

Stats: 312/259/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Gravesmon - I recommend going to the Atkins site and signing up for their community as well because it will give you free access to a recipes section where you can search for recipes by phase type. I used it a lot when I first started induction.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 19:19
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you looked through the recipe section here?

Each of the subforums (except for the Bread and Baking one) has a sticky thread with links to Induction suitable recipes. No need to do any searching, just scroll down to the kind of food you wish to see. Here's the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

RondaLee, welcome to our forum. I also suggest you check out our recipe forum, rather than suggesting someone look elsewhere.