Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 20:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default For Lower Blood Pressure, Low-Carb Diet May Be Best

Did I stumbled into an alternate universe today?

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_li..._blood_pressure

In Business Week people! This is unreal!

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, Jul-02-12 at 07:18. Reason: To update the link (not in Business Week now)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 03:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Also in today's Telegraph:

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
26 January, 2010

Low-carb diets like Atkins 'better at reducing blood pressure than weight-loss drugs'

Low-carbohydrate diets, such as Atkins, are more successful at reducing blood pressure than weight-loss drugs, according to a new study.

Twice as many people on the controversial diet significantly lowered their blood pressure when compared to those taking the drug orlistat, which stops the body absorbing fat.

High blood pressure can be dangerous because it increases the risk of suffering a heart attack.

Many obese and overweight people are advised to lose weight to help them lower their blood pressure.

Researchers found that 21 per cent of those taking the weight-loss drug saw a significant reduction in their blood pressure.

The same was true, however, for 47 per cent of those on the low carb diet, researchers from Duke University in North Carolina found.

The diets have been criticised in the past for encouraging people to cut out fruit and vegetables and eat large amounts of fat and some studies have linked low-carb diets to an increased risk of suffering a heart attack.

Dr William Yancy, who led the blood pressure research, said: "If people have high blood pressure and a weight problem, a low-carbohydrate diet might be a better option than a weight loss medication."

He added: "It's important to know you can try a diet instead of medication and get the same weight loss results with fewer costs and potentially fewer side effects."

Those taking orlistat, marketed as Alli by GlaxoSmithKline, the pharmaceutical giant, were also encouraged to eat a low-fat diet.

Side effects of the medication can include diarrhoea and nausea.

A total of 146 patients took part in the study, the findings of which are published in the Archives of Internal Medicine journal.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...loss-drugs.html

#3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 07:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Dr Briffa's blog:

Quote:
Low-carb diet pitted against low-fat PLUS medication (low-carb still wins)

Posted By Dr John Briffa
January 26, 2010

I suspect there’s always going to be a raging debate about the best way to go about losing weight. From a dietary perspective, a myriad of suggested approaches exist, though within these the two most popular and well-known ‘diets’ are those low in carbohydrate and fat respectively. Both of these approaches have their advocates. I’m generally in the low-carbohydrate camp. Why? Well, one major reason has to do with the fact that when these diets are pitted against each other, the low-carb diets generally outperform low-fat ones in terms of weight loss. Also, low-carb diets generally improve biochemical and physiological markers for cardiovascular disease compared to low fat ones.

I was interested to read a study published yesterday in the Archives of Internal Medicine which, once again, pitted low-carb and low-fat diets against each other [1]. The low-carb diet initially restricted carbohydrate intake to less than 20 grams a day. Calorie intake was not restricted (meaning individuals could eat as much as they liked of permitted foods including meat and fish).The low-fat diet, as is usual in these studies, restricted calories (to produce a deficit of 500-1000 calories a day). In addition, though, individuals eating the low-fat diet took the weight loss drug orlistat (Xenical, Alli) at a dose of 120 mg, three times a day.

Orlistat works by reducing absorption of fat from the gut. A review of the evidence shows that the average weight loss achieved by people taking this drug in studies is about 3 kg (approximately 6.5 lbs).

At the end of the study (48 weeks) the low-carbers had been found to have lost an average of about 11.5 kg in weight, compared to about 9.5 kg loss in the low-fat, medication taking group. This difference was not statistically significant. Unfortunately, this study made no attempt to assess body composition changes. This is a shame, as it’s not really weight loss that is important, but fat loss. However, the subjects did have their waist circumferences assessed, which reflects the extent of ‘abdominal obesity’ (the form of obesity most strongly linked with chronic disease). Here, the low-carbers lost almost an inch more than the low-fat, medication-taking group, though the difference was not statistically significant.

One significant difference between the groups was seen in blood pressure: low-carbers saw an average drop of about 6 and 4.5 points in their systolic (higher) and diastolic (lower) blood pressure. In comparison, the low-fat eaters saw small though non-statistically significant increases in their blood pressure.

Overall, the results of this study show similar weight loss but improved effect on blood pressure for those eating the low-carb diet. On top of this we have the fact that the low-carbers did not need to restrict calories, and did not take medication either. This drug has expense associated with it, as well as potential side effects (including flatulence and ‘oily leakage from rectum’). I’ll stick with the low-carb eating, thanks.

References:

1. Yancy WS, et al. A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet vs orlistat plus a low-fat diet for weight loss. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010;170(2):136-145
http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2010/0...arb-still-wins/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 07:39

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Finally! I really hope that five years from now we'll see a consensus that this is indeed the best way to eat.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 09:44
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

#6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 09:59

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:

Interesting, why the change, is the momentum for low carb beginning to overcome the lowfat campaign. I do wonder why.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 10:20

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Here's a link to the Archives of Internal Medicine abstract.

A Randomized Trial of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet vs Orlistat Plus a Low-Fat Diet for Weight Loss

Quote:
The mean age was 52 years and mean body mass index was 39.3 (calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared); 72% were men, 55% were black, and 32% had type 2 diabetes mellitus. Of the study participants, 57 of the LCKD group (79%) and 65 of the O + LFD group (88%) completed measurements at 48 weeks. Weight loss was similar for the LCKD (expected mean change, –9.5%) and the O + LFD (–8.5%) (P = .60 for comparison) groups. The LCKD had a more beneficial impact than O + LFD on systolic (–5.9 vs 1.5 mm Hg) and diastolic (–4.5 vs 0.4 mm Hg) blood pressures (P < .001 for both comparisons). High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride levels improved similarly within both groups. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels improved within the O + LFD group only, whereas glucose, insulin, and hemoglobin A1c levels improved within the LCKD group only; comparisons between groups, however, were not statistically significant.

Nice to see Yancy & Westman continuing the good science.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 16:05

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_man
Interesting, why the change, is the momentum for low carb beginning to overcome the lowfat campaign. I do wonder why.

Critical mass.

I believe that new studies, public opinion and a growing acceptance among researchers is slowly reaching critical mass. Having well respected publications like Business Week publish articles that are pro low-carb is helping a great deal. It signal a certain level of respectability. People seem to have gotten over the knee-jerk "low carb is a dangerous fad diet" groupthink. This was helped a lot by all the disappointing (to them) failure of low-fat diets to prove itself. Now that a lot of researchers have broken ground, so to speak, by studying low-carb diets, people are getting more interested in studying it as well. It's gaining acceptance and respectability. There will be more studies (and more funding). Of all the studies that have come out so far, none have been really negative, and most if not positive at were at least neutral.

I guess it's hard to remember but low-carb has come a long way. At first it was considered practically criminal to recommend it. Then the low-carb "fad" hit and everyone got interested. A few brave researchers studied it. A few more researchers conducted studies with the intent of proving it was dangerous and/or ineffective. That failed. Best they could do is sort of twist the results to say that low-carb wasn't really better, but neither was it worse than any other diet. Then the results of some huge long-term studies came out and failed to prove the current dogma. That was a crushing blow, even though they tried to explain the results away. That fact did not go unnoticed. People recognize bs when they hear it.

So that's where we are at. Low-carb has pretty much lost it's "fad" reputation and has entered popular culture. You find references to it everywhere. Our grandmothers all knew that to lose weight you had to cut out the sugar, bread and the pasta. This is coming back.

The old dogma isn't dying easily, but it is dying. More and more studies will be done because it's no longer considered a fringe thing. We are getting close to critical mass.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 16:34

BF:

What I wonder too, is why so many people seem extremely invested in the low-fat/low-calorie dogma when it clearly does not work even half as well as low carb. Why don't people want to let it go? Especially since it is a far more miserable way to live.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
What I wonder too, is why so many people seem extremely invested in the low-fat/low-calorie dogma when it clearly does not work even half as well as low carb. Why don't people want to let it go? Especially since it is a far more miserable way to live.

Could it be, at least here in the US, somehow related to the old Puritan values? The thought that things *ought* to be deprivational to be good for you, that you must "atone" for your sloth and gluttony by eating less food, and less enjoyable food. Losing weight by eating porterhouse steaks and lobster dipped in melted butter means you are being rewarded for your sloth and gluttony! Goes again every Puritan value.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Critical mass.

I believe that new studies, public opinion and a growing acceptance among researchers is slowly reaching critical mass.

The old dogma isn't dying easily, but it is dying. More and more studies will be done because it's no longer considered a fringe thing. We are getting close to critical mass.

I agree that critical mass is indeed important - a point where a researcher need not feel he is sticking his neck out on the line by espousing benefits of LC. How I wish Dr. Atkins were around right now to see it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:13

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

Because as my physician says, "fat, especially saturated fat contributes to heart disease and cutting it out, is one of the easiest ways to reduce calories, which we all know brings weight reduction. For ever and ever, Amen"

Last edited by Squarecube : Tue, Jan-26-10 at 18:14. Reason: spelling
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:27

BF:

Yeah old habits die hard. Heck, my mom follows a low carb diet. She thinks it's healthier and it keeps her thin, but she STILL thinks that sat fat is evil, and so she eats veggie sausage instead of bacon. Sigh....

So many people act like I am literally an IDIOT because I eat low carb. Isn't that just the oddest thing? Yet those same people would never think that about someone eating low fat/low cal.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:44

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

This was my experience. My BP was 149/95. I worked out like mad, ate low fat, calorie restricted, reduced salt intake and that BP stayed high. I went low carb and my bp dropped like a ROCK! within months of going low carb I was getting BP readings like I used to in high school and I am well in to my 40's.

Low carb REALLY does reduce blood pressure.

Now, I have friends with high BP who refuse to give up carbs and take meds instead. Uhhhh...heeelllooooooo
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 19:19

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:

just like everything....follow the money. many special interest groups, that have a lot of government support (money) cold suffer greatly if word got out.

I think the tide has turned now that conglomerate tv media/newspapers are not the only ways to get information.

God bless the interwebs!