Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Just want to talk

One week down one more to go for induction. THis is my 4th or 5th go at Atkins and though I lose every time I am starting to feel down. I remember this always happens. Been very good about induction but still feel guilty about the salad from Jack in the Box and the hearty bowl (no hashbrowns). Don't know why. In ketosis, and have been since day 2. Had not stepped on a scale until today and well..........NO CHANGE AT ALL. UGH!

Me..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:05

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

you and I are right in the same place,my day 8.Our weights are neck and neck as well...this is my 4th go at atkins too. And I sooo feel you. I am doing well, but I just took my measurements.... and WOHA, that was enough to make me feel like total CRAP! We can do this Surfrider... keep your chin up!!!! Hit me up anytime you need to vent, yell, scream whatever!!!!! you can do it!! I have faith in you

Dee
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:08

BF:

Thanks. My DH made a super fake mashed potatoes today. I made them once and GROSS but man did he do awesome.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:10

LOL I hear that! My hubby is the greatest cook ever... I don't know if I would be doing so well if I was doing the cooking... it would be burgers & Chicken LOL I stink!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:43

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

It's really important to find stuff to eat that you really like. I'm a big fan of Mashed Fauxtatoes--got a big cauliflower in the fridge right now, waiting to be reborn as a casserole. Yum!

Here's my favorite comfort food. I eat one of these babies for breakfast every single day, and never get tired of it. The fill-up lasts until lunchtime.

ONE MINUTE MUFFIN

1 egg
1 TBS olive oil, coconut oil, or butter melted
1/4 cup ground flaxseed*
1/2 tsp. baking powder (more or less)
1 TBS granulated Splenda or 1-2 packets
Big shake of cinnamon
Optional: 1 TBS. vanilla flavored artificially sweetened protein powder
Optional (post-induction only): a few nuts or berries

Mix all this in a coffee mug and microwave for one to 1.5 minutes. The thing will puff up like a volcano. Optional: top slices with whipped cream cheese.

*I buy flaxseed in bulk at the health food store. Very cheap. Grind it up in a dedicated coffee grinder from WalMart, also very cheap. Keep it in the fridge or freezer after grinding, because this is oily stuff and can go rancid. In fact, I mix up the dry ingredients in individual sandwich bags that I keep in the freezer. Instant muffin mix.

Flaxseed is all fiber and oil, and has many health benefits.

Bon appetit.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 21:54

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

So flaxmeal is cool for induction? I just assumed it was for the nuts stage. But now that you mention it, my bag does say 4g carb, 4g fiber.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 22:00

BF:

Quote:
4g carb, 4g fiber
It's a wash! If you're not used to eating a lot of fiber, this can be quite a slug all at once. You've been warned.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 22:16

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:

Ha ha, I've been vegetarian for most of the past two years. Fiber, schmiber. Me and flax are old friends.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 22:46

BF:

THanks again all. I am in the process of trying to make baked fried chicken using pork rinds and parmessan. We shall see how it turns out. Have some bok choy for a side and my fake mash. I am then going to try and get some sleep.
OH, Is insomnia a problem with any of you? Not sleeping well at all cause I sweat all night. EW!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 06:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mind if I join in? I'm on day 6 of the induction (for the second time) and although I kinda feel lighter, I am too afraid to get on that scale. A few years ago, I would step on the scale every other day, it always helped keep things in check for me. Don't know when and what happened, but I got away from that and well....here I am. I am not sure if I'll weigh myself tomorrow or wait until next week. I'm afraid to even get the tape measure out. Even though I feel lighter, I don't feel like I lost weight or inches.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 07:10

BF:

MsGinger, like me, you're pretty close to goal weight--tantalizingly close. That makes the process slower, in my experience. Frustrating, isn't it?

That "light" feeling is pretty good though. I have mixed feelings about the scales. On the one hand, it's not motivating to see the same number day after day after day. On the other hand, I know that as soon as I neglect to monitor, I have a tendency to wander from the program, know what I mean? Ignorance is bliss, etc.

So I continue to try to get my head around the health benefits of LC--and the realization that when I'm NOT on LC, I can gain weight at the speed of light, and the upper limit hasn't been reached yet. (My all-time top weight: 192)

Hang in there. And don't stay on induction for longer than two weeks. Get on that ladder.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 15:18

BF:

I wish I only had a little weight to lose. I have learned that each persons' struggle is their own. I have a huge task ahead of me and I am also having a major surgery in March. I need to lose some weight to prepare for the knee surgery. Ugh. I am really sad today. I have been feeling off for a couple of days now. I will get through it though.

#13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 06:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Morning SurfRider, I hope you're in better spirits and feeling much better today. I was down in the dumps for a few days, just feeling all blah. Just stress of every day life, but I'm feeling like this is the only thing I have any control over at the moment, the rest, I leave up to God, Ok, I try to give it up to God, but still can get down.
I'm sure you will succeed and get to where you need to be before your knee surgery. Maybe if you're more active the closer to your surgery, might help you with healing faster so you can get right back on track. I'm not one to talk about being active, other than working at the barn, cleaning 11 stalls Sat. and Sun. that's mostly all the really physical stuff I'm doing. I need to do more.
I have no doubt you will succeed. I keep telling myself one carb, one hour, one day at a time.
Take care.
Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRider
THanks again all. I am in the process of trying to make baked fried chicken using pork rinds and parmessan. We shall see how it turns out. Have some bok choy for a side and my fake mash. I am then going to try and get some sleep.
OH, Is insomnia a problem with any of you? Not sleeping well at all cause I sweat all night. EW!

I have had problem with insomina... Used to take a advil PM when I couldn't sleep, but figured it couldn't be good to take advil when it wasn't needed. I started taking melatonin... it works wonderful! I take one about a Hr. before I want to go to bed, and I have been sleeping great
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 10:16

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGinger
Maybe if you're more active the closer to your surgery, might help you with healing faster so you can get right back on track. Lisa

Yes that's what my mom's doctor told her when she had foot surgery 2 years ago. He said even moderate exercisers healed faster from surgery than people who didn't exercise. It's probably a good idea to just keep being active right up until surgery. After surgery, maybe your doc can help you find exercises that you can still do.