Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 06:51

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have felt great for the past 2 days like I am back to my old self. I hope it is actually coconut oil doing the trick. Anyways I am taking 1tbsp in the morning with breakfast and 1tbsp at abt 5:30 one hour before excercise. I am doing abt 30 min of walking and abt 20 min of weight training.

I still get the hot feeling abt 30min-hr after i take coconut oil but it is only for a flash and i dont really care if it is making me feel this way.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 12:02

BF:

I have had the greatest energy these past days it has been amazing. I think it is coconut oil. But I am in ketosis and following a ketogenic diet right now.
I had to increase fat which has been easy with coconut oil and reducing both carbs and protein.

This is a little hard but doable. I still can feel when I have had a little more carbs than i can tolerate. I have lost some weight too 3lbs which is amazing since it has been a real problem to reduce weight even on strict atkins
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 12:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good stuff, Chand! I'm looking forward to hearing more. Maybe I should start up with the MCT oil again.

I had two REALLY good days after I got my thyroid bumped up a notch. My blood sugars went back down to where they used to be, 80's. But it only lasted 2 days and I don't know why? The only thing I can figure out is this is menopause kicking me around.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 14:23

BF:

MCT is something you can try for sure. It has been 1 week of amazing energy for me.I get to ketosis with more carbs than usual. But the dramatic difference is because of being in ketosis than coconut oil I think.

Coconut oil has 62% MCT. I dont think i have yeast so nothing to do with that aspect of coconut oil.After an hour of eating coconut oil I get a deep ketosis on ketostix.So I know it gets absorbed very fast.

I will some more time before I decide this is the answer but so far so good.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 07:00

BF:

It has been one week of amazing energy for me since going into deep ketosis with coconut oil. I quit pregnenolone completely and feeling very upbeat.Walking an hour everyday with no relapse in energy like i used to have before. I am doing good.

I cringe to say it was coconut oil since I dont to betoo optimistic . When you have been sick for 2 years without clue why you can either get too pessimistic or too optimistic with little progress. What i have felt is pretty significant. It is really amazing.

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Wed, Sep-24-08 at 07:08.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-08, 09:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know the feeling, Chand. I've often thought "Aha! I have found my cure" only to backslide a few days later.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-08, 11:22

BF:

Well I think I see some pattern in my energy levels. I need to journal it.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:30

Plan: my plan
Stats: 162.5/148/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 83%

How can it not give you energy. It's fat and it goes straight to your liver where it can be used right away. I've noticed a difference in my energy since taking coconut oil. I think it's a perfect energy source for low carb. Good for in the morning, between meals, and before workouts.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 10:09

BF:

Just to keep updated I have since stopped using coconut oil because I dnt want to be in ketosis aanymore and was eating a lot more carbs than before.
About 60g.

Also there was a time when i was feeling too jittery taking coconut oil and low dose armour thyroid. I want to try it again but the precondition that it has to be with lower carb makes it harb but I can still eat a little i think.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/220/190 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress:

I haven't been on coconut oil for long (1 week) and I just started MCT oil today, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I did quite a bit of research before hand. Extra-virgin coconut oil is about 50% MCT's and 50% LCT's. When I first started the coconut oil along with my low carb diet, I immediately noticed a huge energy boost, which is great when you're in ketosis because I can workout much longer and I'm burning pure fat in the process. My coconut oil is 36 calories for a day's dosage and the MCT oil is 100 calories per tablespoon, so I don't really see how it could affect my low carb diet by being burned first. I figure I'll just burn through those calories very quickly... could be wrong, but it seems logical. Anyway, I've lost 5 pounds thus far and it's been the easiest round of low carb eating I've experienced. The MCT's seem to completely curbed my craving for any type of carbohydrates. I'll post back periodically and let you know how it's going. Lastly, I'm no expert, so I'm not sure how healthy this diet is, but it seems to be working... so... you know...