Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 10:01
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

ANYTHING a person reacts badly to can cause or exacerbate OCD. I don't think celiac has a special role in that, just one we notice.

Your relative is irrational to the point of pathology; I don't think most people are. Sure there are a few extreme people on celiac boards but then, there are on lowcarb boards too.

I think this indicates in you as much a personal reaction to the topic as Anne has for her own reasons. ;-)
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I think this indicates in you as much a personal reaction to the topic as Anne has for her own reasons. ;-)
It would if I had gotten emotional about it. I do have a little bit of a soapbox attitude, obviously, but I don't feel very defensive or angry about it. Not any more than I do about, say, the proper method of dog instruction.

About which, by the way, I have very strong opinions.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 11:46
Every moment is NOW.

Well I think dog instruction is the one thing we haven't yet covered in this thread, so thanks for bringing it up.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Just like our bodies, we have to find a way to make the dog want to do what we want it to do. Punishment just increases the dogs desire to find a way to avoid punishment, but not necessarily to obey your commands.

Starvation (low calorie) makes our body find ways to steal energy from our metabolism in order to preserve our fat stores.

Heh... Topic prostitution.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 13:22
Every moment is NOW.

Ooooooh.... you coined a new webjective.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Can someone please tell me what is dextrin? My daughter gave me dehydrated vegetables made with dextrin and they are so good but can we eat them?
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 00:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelfiore
Can someone please tell me what is dextrin? My daughter gave me dehydrated vegetables made with dextrin and they are so good but can we eat them?
It is a carbohydrate; they probably added a light dusting to keep the veggies from sticking together. The key is to look at the carb content on the label and see if the carb content is OK or too high for your plan. I do occasionally use dried onions with some maltodextrin, but the small amount does not bother me.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 05:42

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Dextrin appears to be made of various substances, so I think the "safety" factor of it is going to depend on a person's degree of gluten intolerance. Personally, I'd avoid it unless there was some dire reason I needed dehydrated veggies.

You'll also see this in packaged, shredded cheese, especially mozzarella cheese because of its "stickiness."

I'm sure that others will chime in with their greater degree of expertise - I'm still a newbie to the gluten-free stuff.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 08:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dextrin is made from corn in the US, not necessarily so elsewhere.

I think it's nonsense they'd add "gluten" to keep something from being sticky. Do people understand what gluten does? It glues together bread, that's why it is so tough to make bread without gluten, there's nothing to trap the air bubbles and it'll fall. Gluten makes little air pockets that blow up like a balloon. It is the gluiest, stickiest stuff you've ever seen.

If you ever want to clean up a nasty mess, take some gluten flour and mix it with water. Use a scrubbing sponge to clean it up and you've got to throw out the sponge because that gluten isn't going to wash out. Now imagine putting that on a production line for processing raisins... I have this image of the gluiest, mess you can imagine.

They would use some sort of starch for keeping things from sticking. Probably corn in the US. In Europe they use a lot more wheat starch than they do here.

Quote:
Maltodextrin can be derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually rice, corn or potato; elsewhere, such as in Europe, it is commonly wheat. This is important for coeliacs, since the wheat-derived maltodextrin can contain traces of gluten. There have been recent reports of coeliac reaction to maltodextrin in the United States. This might be a consequence of the shift of corn to ethanol production and its replacement with wheat in the formulation. The fast food chain, Wendy's, footnotes maltodextrin in its list of gluten-free foods [1], which may be a sign of their receiving reports of this.

*sigh* Don't you love globalization, you can't count on anything anymore.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:10

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Maltodextrin can be derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually rice, corn or potato; elsewhere, such as in Europe, it is commonly wheat. This is important for coeliacs, since the wheat-derived maltodextrin can contain traces of gluten. There have been recent reports of coeliac reaction to maltodextrin in the United States. This might be a consequence of the shift of corn to ethanol production and its replacement with wheat in the formulation. The fast food chain, Wendy's, footnotes maltodextrin in its list of gluten-free foods [1], which may be a sign of their receiving reports of this.

Nancy.... I just had this "oh noes!" moment. If I'm using Splenda, am I subjecting myself to possible gluten? I use both the packets and the measurable (although not very often). I really should switch to liquid, shouldn't I?

:::frown:::: Sneaky gluten.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:25
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
have you been able to have some carbs as long as they are gluten free and still lose weight?

My mother was recently diagnosed Celiac and I was wondering if i could follow her gluten free plan to some extent and still lose weight or if I would need to do strict LC and get the weight off that way....

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to answer your actual question...

A gluten-free diet isn't going to help you lose weight, because - as others have stated, a lot of gluten-free 'products' are actually higher in carbs than the wheat version of the food.

Furthermore, and this is the important part - if there are trace amounts of gluten in your diet and you're gluten intolerant or celiac - you will have a *tough* time losing the weight, low-carb or not. There's gluten in a lot of seasonings, things like soy sauce and condiments. That's where you'll have to be a very careful label reader.

The good thing? Low-carb is going to make this much, much easier. All you have to worry about is the spices/condiments/seasonings and so on, because you won't be eating any wheat anyway on a low-carb diet.

If the goal is to lose weight and not ingest gluten - well, I'd recommend a decent low-carb plan with the added 'no gluten' emphasis. Avoid processed foods like mad, and you'll have even fewer labels to scrutinize.

By the way, San-J brand wheat-free tamari makes a *better* stir fry sauce than regular soy sauce.

Hope this helps, and hope you see this - I know it's an old thread. Wanted to answer your actual question.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chell921
Nancy.... I just had this "oh noes!" moment. If I'm using Splenda, am I subjecting myself to possible gluten? I use both the packets and the measurable (although not very often). I really should switch to liquid, shouldn't I?

:::frown:::: Sneaky gluten.
No, you're fine. No celiac I've ever heard of complains of problems with Splenda. You can always call the companny and ask, but in this case don't bother, Splenda is GF.

San-J Wheat free tamari sauce is super.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:57

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I'm not a fan of tamari. Not sure why, just never liked the flavor. But once I discovered fish sauce I was happy!
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 10:31
Experimenter

BF:

Fish sauce really is amazing stuff. Who would've thought rotting fish could be so tasty?
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Can anyone help...I can't figure out what Dextrin is. I looked it up but can't understand it. Maybe I'll getting old hahaha. Can we have it if it's on the ingredients?