Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default CoQ10 -- For non-statin related muscle issues

I listened to an interview of a doctor here: http://www.jonnybowden.com/radio.html (Shari Leiberman) and she mentioned taking CoQ10 for fibromyalgia (I think it was).

Well, I've been plagued with sore muscles and when she said that I thought of statins. I don't take statins, but my muscles get sore, spasm a lot and seem to be having a hard time recovering from use and injury. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

This might be premature but I took 300 mg yesterday and I dare say they're feeling a lot better today! I've been suffering with shoulder/neck pain for probably 2-3 months now. And right now I feel vastly better! I don't have the sore to the touch spots in my shoulder blades today and my neck mobility is much better!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 11:26

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have been taking coenzyme Q 10 for a while now. That in combination with zinc and magnesium seems to have reduced my twitches all over my body it was freaky.

Doesnt hurt to take coenzyme Q10 thats what Eades recommend
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:37
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

I don't take a lot of supplements, but I do take CoQ10....I don't think I need a high/mega dose, so I take a 60mg daily.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:59
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have taken it for years because diabetics benefit from it. I take so many supplements that sometimes I forget exactly why I am taking what.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:27
Experimenter

BF:

I also finally broke down about a 5 days ago and took some Aleve everyday. That did help some but not as much as it used to help. I haven't taken any for about 2 days now but perhaps it is still working.

*sigh* I do so wish this is the answer to my muscle pain issues.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:30
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I also finally broke down about a 5 days ago and took some Aleve everyday. That did help some but not as much as it used to help. I haven't taken any for about 2 days now but perhaps it is still working.

*sigh* I do so wish this is the answer to my muscle pain issues.

This may seem like an off-the-wall question - but how much vitamin A are you consuming a day? Any in supplements - how much?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:42
Experimenter

BF:

I don't take any vitamin A in supplements at all. I don't take a multi, I get D3 in capsules, not cod liver oil. I'd have to say my Vit A comes from eating brightly colored veggies and gets converted inside me.

I sporadically take Fish oil (up to 5 grams a day) but I don't think it has much A in it.

Whatcha thinking?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:46
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't take any vitamin A in supplements at all. I don't take a multi, I get D3 in capsules, not cod liver oil. I'd have to say my Vit A comes from eating brightly colored veggies and gets converted inside me.

I sporadically take Fish oil (up to 5 grams a day) but I don't think it has much A in it.

Whatcha thinking?

Too much supplemental vitamin A is sometimes the underlying culprit in muscle aches....but since you're not taking any supplemental A, that's not the problem!

ETA: Basically you can't OD on vitamin A from real foods....but can with supplements if you're not careful (I added this for others reading the thread) since a lot of supplements add in some A or include mega doses in the formulation. Even then it's difficult to overdo it, but it does happen....sometimes.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:52
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, I scurried off to read the list of symptoms.... other than what I think might be petechiae (little red dots on arms and legs sometimes) I don't think I have any symptoms. I've had those dots for as long as I can remember.

Both my parents had purpura which their doctors totally shrugged off as being caused by lifelong sun damage to their skin. I don't think it was though. That's major leakiness of their blood vessels. My mom's arm went entirely purple/black from the elbow down once.