Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 14:27

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Gary Taubes at Berkeley

From Dr. Eades' blog:

Quote:
In late November of this year Gary Taubes gave a number of talks to members of various departments at the University of California at Berkeley. One of these talks - The Quality of Calories: What Makes Us Fat and Why Nobody Seems to Care - was recorded and can be viewed by clicking here. You need Real Player to watch the video. If you don’t have it, simply Google real player or real player mac and you will find a free download of the program.

Gary’s talk expands on one of the theses in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories: the idea that obesity isn’t caused by gluttony and sloth, but by excess carbohydrate intake instead. If you haven’t read the book or if you have and you want the weight-loss section explained in greater depth, this video is for you. He’s a little more open than he was in the book about naming names and pointing the finger at people who for whatever reason can’t see the forest for the trees. The video is long - almost two hours - but well, well worth watching.

I’m going to be seeing Gary in about a week. We’ll have one of our many hour visits at a coffee house in downtown Manhattan. If anyone has a question for Gary, put in in a comment, and I’ll ask him as many as I can while I’m overdosing on caffeine.

So take a break from your Christmas shopping this weekend, kick back and watch this video. You’ll be glad you did.

Hat tip to blog reader Art D for giving me the heads up on this one.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...erkeley-lecture

To see the Taubes video:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3F645C8E5F16EB60

Last edited by Rosebud : Wed, May-30-12 at 08:48. Reason: To fix broken link to GT's video
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 17:47

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

To see the Taubes video:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216

Daryl, thank you for the link. It was very interesting and informative.

Bo
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 17:55

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

You're welcome, Bo, glad you liked it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 21:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I recommend that anyone who is interested in the subject invest the time in the lecture. Gary is a really good lecturer and his material really crystallized my understanding of his book. He mostly addresses the case of obesity but he does go into more detail than the book.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

One hour 45 minutes. But a very good lecture. At the end he counted 8 "converts" in what sounded like a pretty big crowd. Not bad, considering it is Berkeley...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 15:19

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP
One hour 45 minutes. But a very good lecture. At the end he counted 8 "converts" in what sounded like a pretty big crowd. Not bad, considering it is Berkeley...

UC Berkeley is one of the best state universities in this country and its graduate programs consistently rank in the top ten for most disciplines.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 17:07
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I think the comment above "considering it's Berkeley" refers to the political climate, the pro-vegan, "anti-capitalistic, over-consumer of resources" attitudes of Berkeley, not the quality of the university or the minds that attend. I am a UC Berkeley law graduate, love Berkeley, love the Bay Area but obsolutely know that the "politically correct" stance in Berkeley is anti-meat. So I guess i would be mildly heartened by 8 people changing their minds in Berkeley. Mildly.

I watched the whole lecture. Thank you so much for posting the link. I wish I understood the science better. I wish that I could articulate the science at all!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 18:14

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well remember that not everyone raised their hands. I'm sure that the idea will work it's way into some minds. Especially with the lecture available to be downloaded, and thus to be seen again.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:08

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Default Long Taubes Lecture at UC Berkeley

I found a link over in the Triple Digits Club forum to a lecture Taubes gave at Univ. of California Berkeley. It's quite long, extensive, with slides and well worth a watch. Here's the link

Check it out!

Plane
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:25

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

I really want to watch this, but its early and I have to go to work. Do you need real player to view it?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:31

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, it's in realplayer format. I've been watching this in dribs and drabs when I get the time. It's been pretty awesome so far! I've learned a bunch of things I didn't know before.

DH got me his book for Christmas, but I haven't started it yet because I have approximately 8000 library books checked out that I need to finish first.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dr. Eades posted this awhile back and we had it here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=357238

Plane, you're like so 2 weeks ago!

Kallyn, get the book. You'll be stunned. The guy is an amazing writer.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 12:02
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Really slow day at work so I was able to watch the whole talk on my office computer. Compared to other times I've seen him on TV, he seemed perturbed. As if he's saying, WHY DON'T THEY GET IT???????????

At the end someone asked about fructose. Traubes response was fructose is taken up by the liver and converted into fat. I didn't know that. I assumed the liver could take six fructose (5 carbon) molecules and convert them into five glucose (6 carbon) molecules.