Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/299.5/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Frustrated!!!!!!!

I woke up this morning feeling lightheaded and a little off balance. I took a shower and felt like I was going to pass out twice. My eyes felt like they were crossing. I called off work, went back to bed for a few minutes, then tested my blood sugar. It was 140, 12 hours after my last meal.

I am confused to my side effects. I usually dont feel like this with my sugar at 140. I was expecting it to be alot higher than that. Anyone else have these problems? I just cant seem to get a grip on this for some reason! Very frustrating!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 07:33

Plan: Atkins - Bernstein
Stats: 218/203/170 Male 71 inches
BF:Yep!
Progress: 31%

Your symptoms may not be related to your blood sugar. I know that alot of physical symptoms I have I tend to think are diabetes related. What's your BP like?

Joe
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 07:39
Registered Member

BF:

i am on BP meds, but havent taken my BP in awhile, but a few weeks ago at the doctor it was 118/80. I may have to go have it checked to be on the safe side.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 07:56

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

It's been my experience that LC eating lowers BP - I bet you need your meds adjusted.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 07:57

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

and it might be you need potassium...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 08:57

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

It could be a multitude of things. I have been waking up feeling that way a few times lately. I have checked my blood pressure and it is about 114/69 on average lately... Being it averaged above 135/85 for a very long time, I suspect my body is not used to the lower blood pressure that I now have. Hopefully that is all it is.. I don't use BP medications, other than a Chinese herb. ..... Also, my pulse rate used to be over 90 while at rest and now it is near 70. That too might be a reason for my light headed dizzy feeling in the early morning.

Fluid on the inner ear can also cause these symptoms. It is referred to as "vertigo". I've had that a few times in years past, but don't think that is the culprit at the moment for me...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:24
Registered Member

BF:

I have checked my sugar again and it is down to 114. Also checked my BP and it is 121/86. I dont know what is wrong. If I turn my head, I get off balance, get dizzy and have to lay down. I also have a cold, clammy feeling and my vision is very blurred. Very wierd! Gonna call my MD first thing Monday AM.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:26

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I asked a variation of the same question a couple weeks ago and Pennink suggested Potassium. It REALLY made a huge difference to me..totally alliviated the problems. It is cheap and I don't think there is any downside to giving it a try.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:27

those symptoms are exactly what i had when i lost without potassium supplements and I'm on bp meds, too
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

so I just get any brand of Potassium supplements......what mg should I take? Just what is recommended? Thanks to all of you for your help! As soon as I felt bad, this was the first place I came to!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

Pennick-did you get a hot/cold sensation, especially after a meal? For some reason that has happened alot lately.....I thought maybe my carbs were too low, but I have been hitting 20-30 a day.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:43

Well, I'm losing really fast, and with the diuretics and Avapro, my bp dropped low. (not much sodium in low carb, too)

My carbs are (actual not net) around 10 to 15 as I'm on Atkins 72. I get 'squishy headed' like i can't see or think properly, chills, out of body experience feeling, and like i'm in a fast downward dropping elevator.
I added potassium and magnesium multivitamins, and had a bit more salt, and i feel fine now.

but check with your doctor.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:54

Plan: Lord Help Me
Stats: 250/236/160 Female 5feet 8 inches
BF:way too much
Progress: 16%
Default renee99

Hi I am new to this also but please renee99 go to your doctor first and get checked!!!! I am rooting for you and me on this plan. Goof Luck, Lady Grace
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 10:02

Plan: Lord Help Me
Stats: 250/236/160 Female 5feet 8 inches
BF:way too much
Progress: 16%
Default renee99

Hi Renee9, it'sLady Grace again. I do know that on thisplan, that adding Potassium, and Calcium and Magnesium together helps all the rotton feeling syptoms. I get the really cheap brand at the dollar stores, Family Dollar, Dollar General etc. It's no big budget break. Magnesium helps me sleep well, But as I said before, please check with your doctor, that's most important. Good luck again..Hang in thee, I'm sure I will be calling on your for help and support also. Forgive typing errors please, not good at any of this yet.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 10:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to all of you for your help. I think I am going to get some supplements today and call my MD tomorrow, just to make sure nothing else wierd is going on.

I love this forum, very supportive and full of info!!