Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 17:26
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I've been doing an aggressive anti-candida approach for about a month now. The extreme die-off lasted about 2 weeks and I felt like absolute cr*p! Then I seemed to come out of the woods and be among the living again! Now it's occasional, milder die-off, but mostly feeling balanced and good.

It's amazing to me that all my body pain all these years could have been candida taking up residence in my muscles and joints. It may take some time to get it all moving out and to have some significant relief, but I believe it's happening. Things are looking up for me. Not in a huge way, but definitely some noticeable improvement. I'm sleeping like a baby, which is something I haven't done for years and years. My pain is less and my energy is better now.

I upped the OoO to 10 drops/day in two doses. I'm using the Oreganol Super Strength drops, mind you ... this stuff is ultra potent! I have also been using coconut oil, anywhere up to 3 T per day. Today I crushed a clove of garlic and swallowed it in pieces with water like pills. Not too bad. And soon afterwards, my tummy was rumbling and churning. More candida biting the dust! Think I'll keep up the garlic.

I dropped the yogurt, as dairy was making me feel worse. My diet is almost zero carbs now. Moderate protein and plenty of fat. The only plant food I eat is live raw cultured veggies. I've got my fat intake over 75%, my protein about 20%, and the only carbs are from the cultured veggies. This diet for me is a godsend. Not only is my energy up, my sleep is sound, and my pain is lessening, but my mood is elevated and balanced as well, something that's usually all over the map!

My cravings are nil, and my hunger is very manageable. I've only lost 2 lbs over the last month - kind of on a plateau - but that's OK. I think I'll be dropping some more poundage soon!

I'm making my own cultured veggies in a fermenting crock, but in the meantime, am buying a brand from the HFS called "Rejuvenative Foods." These truly cultured veggies are just packed with healthy bacteria, and they are the only probiotic I use. If interested, I started a thread called "cultured veggies" in the candida forum. The Live Salsa and the Kim Chee are awesome!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 19:42

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 360/277/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Great news Jen!!!

mike
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 14:55

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Oil of Oregano and Virgin Coconut Oil...

Update, after three days of using these products, my energy levels are through the roof. This coming from someone who has been practically bedridden for six years... I cannot tell you the thoughts that are going through my mind... What on earth has been wrong with me that coconut oil and oregano oil are repairing it... I have noticed that the yeast in my urine is much better...not as much bubbling going on... Could all of this have been yeast related...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 15:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
... Could all of this have been yeast related...
That and vitamin D deficiency.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:51
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Skeeweeaka,

Congratulations on your new-found energy! CO and OoO are both potent anti-fungals. It is estimated that 75-80% of Americans have an overgrowth of candida. Maybe you're onto something here! Good luck!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 07:06

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Very interesting post! I have used different supplements over the years and have added a few recently. I also use colloidal silver, but I'm not dilligent enought to make my own. The quality makes a huge difference! I now use Sovereign Silver and it has put the bladder disease I have into remission. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and interstitial cystitis plus a few other health probs. Besides the colloidal silver, I use sparx formula, which was invented by David W. Gregg and is sold by Krysalis.net. I have spoken with the inventor on the phone for around an hour. He is a retired nuclear physicist (AKA rocket scientist) who researches diseases and tries to find cures. The formula has given me back some energy, eases the fibromyalgia, and has made my hair grow long. If you look at my pic. you will see my hair is very healthy. It wasn't always like that. For a long time, it was thin, dry, and falling out. When I'm in pain, I take msm and malic acid with good results. I know the malic acid somehow rids the muscles of the lactic acid that is built up in them, which people with fibromyalgia have a problem with because whatever has invaded the cells has messed up the oxygen metabolism of the bodies cellular system and how they utilize the oxygen. I take yeast fighters, and my recent re-dedication to the atkin's diet has eliminated a lot of my problems with fighting yeast infections. I'm not completely healed, as I write this my arms and shoulders ache, but I can function and I believe that eventually I might be 90% better than when I first got sick. Good luck with your experiment.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 10:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 245/243.5/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Can you please guide me to the link about the vitamins you dissolve in juice. Thanks...
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 03:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yip, you guys are all onto something. I have been suffering from CFS and auto-immune conditions for a long time now. Hashimoto's disease and a mild form of IBD + leaky gut. It is quite true that many such autoimmune conditions including your fibromylgia and my hashimotos (and also rheumatoid arthritis etc. etc.) have links to chronic infections. Candida is a common one, but so is Rickettsia. Check out http://www.chronicfatiguesyndrome.tv/whatiscsf.htm

That's the website of my one doctor, Dr. Jadin who figured (after VERY expensive blood tests) that I have parasite infections in addition to the Candida. She actually reckons Candida is my secondary problem, just taking advantage. But I'm not so sure. I've had Candida for a while and it really causes me trouble.

This is also why people with IBD find relief on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and why many people with auto-immune conditions (I think) respond favourably to fasting. Amazing the trouble these microbes cause!

In my case, I have Candida overgrowth and was recently diagnosed with Rickettsia and Chlymadia parasites as well. However, the antibiotic therpay to kill the parasites makes the candida worse and my bowel flora are all dead now (lactulose does nothing to me...). I'm going to try supplementing with reuteri and EM cultue (if I can get it) to replace the flora. I used to be into cultured veggies, but lately my stomach can't tolerate it.

I find the candida exceedingly difficult to get rid of. I often eat a LOT of coconut oil in a day (it is one of my primary fat sources) and have never experienced any die off or anything. I tried OoO once, but it didn't seem to provide me with any benefit. I know my sister tried to use it topically for a skin fungal infection and it did nothing. Colloidal silver works well topically, but I have doubts about its ability to make headway in the intestines. I'm interested to know that OoO worked for u guys. Maybe I should give it another chance, except that I don't have much left and you can't buy it in this country (I imported the last batch). I've tried lots of garlic, but it hurts my (rather sensitive) stomach lining. I'm planning on actually using some hardcore prescription antifungals (which are actually fungistatic) and taking lots of grapefruit seed extract and berberine while eating <almost> no carbs. I still have some low carb veggies, but not too much, and some nuts and seeds. I find that nuts and seeds don't seem to make my problems worse, but carbs do!

I think your diet sounds like a good anti-candida strategy. I made the mistake once of eating too much meat on an anti-candida diet and it actually messed up my bowels.

I know what it's like to suffer with these sorts of things. At one point, I had to take a 3 month sabbatical I was so messed up. At least now I can do a full days work. There was a time when all I wanted to do was sleep all the time and I had no patience for anyone or anything and no desire to see friends etc.

Good luck to you all! And I wish you success in treating your symptoms. Cultured veggies are a great idea. I tried making them, but it all went rotten. I sure love sauerkraut though! Mmmm. I tried kefir too (love it) but it makes me sick. I'm going to try EM-1 if I can get my hands on it.

Don't u guys often feel though like other people just don't get it? The symptoms are so vague, and too many people (including doctors) think you are either mentally ill, or you just need to "take a hold of yourself" or something.

Last edited by Yakumo : Thu, Apr-06-06 at 03:52.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just concerned because I was reading up on taking silver internally. It can cause a very disfiguring condition called
Argyria that mottles the skin a dark grey color.

You might want to read up on it before persuing this treatment: http://www.together.net/~rjstan/

#25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 02:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've read in many placed that Argyria cannot happen with proper colloidal silver. Just don't buy from a dodgy company or some guy on the street. Lots of people make their own (it's very easy to make!) and drink the stuff by the gallon without any adverse effects.

I've tried colloidal silver, OoO, caprylic acid, everything - waste of my time.

Although, from what I've read on other threads, I was possibly just not taking enough OoO, so I'm going to give that another try.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 07:58
Experimenter

BF:

One of the Argyria victims I read about was making his own.

Be careful, someone might have to dip you in Tarn-Ex!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 20:05

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Again, I have been taking sovereign silver, a high quality silver for months and I have no fear of turning blue or grey. The woman up there, Rosemary, did not ingest colloidal silver, but a silver product that was discontinued in the 70's. Today millions of burn patients are treated with solvadine, which is made out of silver, to treat their burns and prevent infection. None of these people have turned blue. Countless numbers of people have ingested colloidal silver, and have not turned blue. I have done my homework. I drink it daily, and I'm not blue. Look at my picture. I'm not blue, but I am very WHITE. I really need a mystic tan bad! Colloidal silver has helped me with the pain of interstitial cystitis, and I don't believe it is dangerous unless it is improperly made and ingested. I don't make my own. I buy high quality expensive stuff. It is well worth it. I feel a lot better now that I have found the stuff. The governement wants the U.S. public to spend their money on their doctors and their drugs. I believe the Food and Drug Administration funds Quack Watch. With every drug there is going to be at least 1 person that suffers a side effect. Lipitor has been shown to cause various ailments and so has the pill, but still the U.S. public ignores the one in such person and take the drug anyway. Why should one blue lady scare me when there are so many others who ingest colloidal silver and are perfectly fine?

Last edited by burchets : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 20:12.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 09:08
Experimenter

BF:

You're lucky, Burchets, but if you imagine it makes a difference because you're taking some specific kind, think again.

Quote:
Background: Argyria results from prolonged contact with or ingestion of silver salts. Argyria is characterized by gray to gray-black staining of the skin and mucous membranes produced by silver deposition. Silver may be deposited in the skin either from industrial exposure or as a result of medications containing silver salts.

The most common cause of argyria is mechanical impregnation of the skin by small silver particles in workers involved in silver mining, silver refining, silverware and metal alloy manufacturing, metallic films on glass and china, electroplating solutions, and photographic processing. Colloidal silver dietary supplements are marketed widely for cancer, AIDS, diabetes mellitus, and herpetic infections. Cases have followed the prolonged use of silver salts for the irrigation of urethral or nasal mucous membranes, in eye drops, wound dressing, and the excessive use of an oral smoking remedy containing silver acetate. Argyria has also been attributed to surgical and dental procedures (eg, silver amalgam-tattooing, silver sutures used in abdominal surgery). Blue macules have appeared at sites of acupuncture needles and silver earring sites. Great individual variability exists in the length of exposure and total dose needed to result in argyria.

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic595.htm
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 360/277/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Just want to point out that colloidal silver is not a silver salt. I am aware that cases have arisen where people have made it incorrectly using water that had salts either intentionally added or by use of tap water. Doing that would result in silver salts which is not a good thing. So it would seem that using pure water as directed would be a very good idea.

mike
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 23:22
Elevator, Going Down

Plan: Natalia Rose Detox
Stats: 264/241/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks for all the info and all the opinions! Since joining these forums and doing low carb I feel as though my brain is growing... all this info! It's so cool.

I don't know what I think about colloidal silver, yet, but Jen B I would like to hear how you are doing! And how low carb are you right now?

Thanks
Miriam