Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Yeah, but at what serving size is it 0 carbs?
Conventional wisdom for low carbers says heavy cream has 1 carb per tablespoon.

Less lactose than milk, but still some.
Thanks, Bat Spit

I was not sure about that one. Cream for coffee is the only dairy I have left to eliminate! Have any suggestions on an alternative? I know... just quit drinking coffee! I gave it up many times, only finding myself going to some convenient store mid-day buying a cup... then after a few weeks, seeing how I did that all that time! It seems that a little treat like a couple cups of good java in the morning keeps me satisfied, so I don't cave in and eat any sweets. But, perhaps after awhile I won't need to think about either.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 12:17
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use coconut milk in coffee and some other applications instead of cream. It has less fat than heavy cream so you might want to use a bit more or add additional fat in recipes. There's a thread about it here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=274914

Wyv
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 13:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
I use coconut milk in coffee and some other applications instead of cream. It has less fat than heavy cream so you might want to use a bit more or add additional fat in recipes.
Thanks Wyv,

That should be my solution! I only ate butter and cream, and have replaced the butter with tallow, and now the cream should be replaced with coconut milk! Once I purchased a can of coconut milk, and it was not very creamy, as I recall. Are there different types of coconut milk (or different brands)? What should I look for when searching it out? And, the heavier and creamier would be what I would love... is there a way to get it to that state, if it does not already come like that? This is a super idea, and I am going to follow up on it! I never really did feel good about consuming dairy... or e. coli!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 13:37
Registered Member

Well, I did try coconut milk in my coffee and it was not too bad. The only problem is that the coconut taste detracts from the good taste of the coffee beans that I spend extra money on to have every morning. I may just have to give up coffee all together (again)... or just put up with using heavy whipping cream in my coffee. The cost is actually about the same per oz.

One great use I did find for coconut milk is mixing it with trail mix and eating it like cereal. I remember long ago using fat-free plain yogurt and mixing it with granola (that was back in my low-fat "healthy" days ). This seems exactly the same, but I am eating dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and coconut milk. No grains or dairy. It is VERY GOOD!

I did purchase two different brands (the only ones they had at the supermarket) and tried both. The one that is real heavy and creamy (which is how I like it) has 'guar gum' in it. I guess that gives it it's thickness. ??? It is the "A Taste of Thai" brand. All I know is that stuff is excellent! What a treat!

Anyway. I don't know what I will do about coffee. Perhaps try to start drinking it black. I use to drink it with lots of cream and lots of sugar! Then I got use to using less and less sugar, till I finally cut that out completely! Perhaps I can do the same with cream. Or, like I said, give up my morning coffee (I've done it before for up to a year).
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 19:47

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wasn't there recently an article posted on this site about a high carb diet causing cataracts, basically high blood sugar damaging the eyes?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 14:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD
Wasn't there recently an article posted on this site about a high carb diet causing cataracts, basically high blood sugar damaging the eyes?
The more I eat normal carb ("low carb"), and the more I eat paleo foods, the better my vision becomes. I have noticed that happening all the time. The eye is an organ in our bodies. It, like all organs, is a collection of cells. It should come as no surprise that all cells in the body will benefit from proper nutrition... and deteriorate with bad nutrition.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Mon, Dec-19-05 at 14:41.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 20:35
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quit and never looked back.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 20:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Quit and never looked back.
Hybrid,

Do you not drink coffee? Or do you drink it black, or with non-dairy? What do you put on hot veggies? Butter tastes so GOOD! I am having problems with eliminating that stuff! Any suggestions?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 10:31
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

This is my 11th day without dairy. I'm doing great and I'll never go back. Besides my eyesight improving, I'm sleeping better, feeling more energetic, in a better mood, and my weight loss is good and steady. I'm also experiencing a lessening of mucous expulsion. (Sorry to be so graphic!)

On some veggies, I put bacon fat. On others, I put a little mayo mixed with lemon juice. (I am planning on making my own mayo, but for now I'm using a HFS purchase made by Spectrum that has canola oil.) I'm using Carlson fish oil as a supplement. It was recommended by Dr. Mercola on his website. It has a lemon flavor, and it is delicious. If it weren't so expensive, I'd use it on my veggies.

I've given up on coffee. I was drinking decaf anyway, so there is no withdrawal. Without heavy cream, it's just not the same. Now I'm just heating some water and putting lemon juice in it in the morning. It seems that just having something hot is good enough for me.

I am utterly and thoroughly convinced that breast milk from another species is such an alien protein in my body that it has caused all kinds of cumulative problems over the years. Time will tell just how many things now improve!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 14:17

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Jennifer, I do love my cottage cheese and cream, and wonder about getting enough calcium. But I'd also like to be able to breathe through both sides of my nose for just about the first time in my life! I have always at least one side blocked, especially at night. How is your 'mucus expulsion' progressing? What are you doing about calcium?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 14:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

After New Years I'm going to give this a whirl myself. Glad to hear you're doing well with it!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 16:14

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD
What are you doing about calcium?
Ok, it's true. I'm NOT Jennifer.
I haven't had dairy for 2+ years now and I get MY calcium the old fashioned way: by eating dark leafy greens and other foods rich in calcium. Here's a few of my staple foods:

> collard, turnip, & mustard greens, swiss chard, kale, spinach, beet greens (3/4 cup = same calcium as 1 cup dairy)
> sardines
> broccoli
> okra
> tempeh & tofu (4oz = same calcium as 1 cup dairy)

Since I'm menopausal, I also take a calcium supplement (AdvaCal by Lane labs)

**we now return this thread to Jennifer - wherever she is!**
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 17:43
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, csoar, for coming to my aid!

Cows themselves get calcium for their big bones by eating grass. The calcium they consume from plants has a large amount of magnesium, which is necessary in order to absorb and use the calcium. From what I've read, the calcium in cow's milk is basically useless because it doesn't have sufficient magnesium.

My husband has had a stuffy nose problem for years. He has cut down on his dairy consumption, and the problem has greatly lessened. I'm sure if he cut dairy all the way out, he'd have a complete turnaround.

We're having spinach and beet greens tonight, sauteed with onion in some bacon fat. Yum!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 18:30
Registered Member

That's great, Jennifer! I can't seem to quit using butter and heavy cream for coffee. I envy you!

I have used that mayo. I think. It is good, but I think I remember one of the main ingredients is grain vinegar. Is this the same stuff? Or have they started making one without it? How does the bacon fat taste on veggies? I was going to try bison fat, but have not gotten around to it. Like I said, it is so HARD to give up that butter!

Wish I could give up coffee, but it seems to help me get going in the morning. I use to not need it. I wish I could at least drink it black! Anyway, congrats on your success! Like I said, I am VERY envious!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Dec-22-05 at 18:42.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 19:00
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

My mayo says distilled white vinegar, is that bad?

Yes, bacon drippings are heavenly, especially on sauteed greens!