Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 12:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Post Some Basic Principles of Protein Power

I'm always astounded when people complain that PP is so hard to follow, and there's so much counting. Huh? Then I came to realize that much of the problem stems from the calculations the authors put in to figure lean body weight and minimum protein requirement. It's really too bad they put those in the first book. They really throw people off. The calculations are good, but some people can't handle the math.

In their second book, Protein Power Lifeplan, they give a simple chart where you find your current weight along the left and then follow over to find your height across the top. Where they intersect is your MINIMUM protein requirement per meal. The numbers in the second book are more liberal than in the first book, so you are assured of getting plenty of protein.

If anyone out there does not have the second book and wants to know their minimum requirement, just ask and I'll look it up for you.

After that calculation, the PP plan is so easy it's ridiculous. I have the hardcover book, so I won't include page references. The following is all taken from Chapter 10, "Putting It All Together: Designing Your Food Plan."

Let's say your minimum protein requirement turns out to be 40 grams per meal. Here are examples of 40 grams of protein:
  • 6 ounces of meat, fish, poultry
  • 3 whole eggs plus 6 egg whites (this is why eggs are not a terrifically good source of protein -- you need to eat so many of them!)
  • 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 ounces of meat (like bacon or ham)
  • 1 1/2 cups curd cheese (like cottage cheese) -- be careful, though, cottage cheese can be high in carbs
  • 5 ounces of meat plus 1 ounce of hard cheese (like cheddar)
  • 5 ounces of meat plus 2 ounces of soft cheese (like philly)
In that chapter are charts and more charts of examples of "equivalents." Remember that you can have 7 to 10 grams of carbs per meal (7 if you want snacks throughout the day, 10 if you prefer to go without snacks).

Here are some examples of veggies with 10 carbs (have a bit less to get 7 carbs):
  • Asparagas, 20 spears
  • Broccoli, unlimited
  • Cabbage, 2 cups
  • Carrots, 2 medium
  • Cauliflower, 4 cups
  • Corn, 1/4 cup
  • Green beans, 1 cup
  • Mushrooms, unlimited
  • Onions, 3/4 cup
  • Peas, 1/2 cup
Note that these counts are for RAW veggies. When you cook them, they cook down a bit and so the carb count goes up. (You can fit more veggie in a cup measure after cooking . . . get it?)

Chapter 10 provides a wealth of information.

So, the only thing you have to count (after determining your minimum protein requirement) is carbs. Just make sure you're getting at least 40 grams of protein per meal, and 7 to 10 carbs. When you learn the portion sizes of the veggies you like, it's simple to put together meals.

Read Chapter 10. It's truly very simple. They even give you snack ideas that combine protein and a few carbs.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Mon, Apr-18-05 at 12:07.
Sponsored Links