Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Alcohol Question

What is it about LC that causes alcohol to have a much more drastic effect? Or is it just me?

A couple days ago I went out with some colleagues after completing a long, hard project. I had way less to drink than I would have in my pre LC days (two scotch and sodas over an hour+). I actually became quite loopy and was hung over (majorly) the next morning--first time I ever remember being drunk to a point anywhere near that. Is it just weighing less or is it something about LC?

Thank you all,
Mark
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 19:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Alcohol Question

Quote:
Originally posted by szar
What is it about LC that causes alcohol to have a much more drastic effect? Or is it just me? Is it just weighing less or is it something about LC?

Mark, it's not 'just you' It is a side effect of LCing. As we know LC makes our bodies efficient fat burners. Stored fat is broken down into Ketone Bodies and burned for fuel. Alcohol, regardless of how you eat, is always used as a primary fuel by your body - and it is also broken down into ketones bodies. Bascially, when you have a drink of alcohol you are providing your body with rocket fuel It's already great at burning ketones and alcohol equals ketones w/o the work.

Keep in mind, though, that this means while your body is busy burning alcohol ketone bodies it will not be burning your body fat. Your body will burn the following, in the following order: Alcohol, carbs, stored fat.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 19:23

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Plus, we can become easily dehydrated with this WOE, and alcohol is a diuretic, hence the nasty hangover!

If you do choose to imbibe, keep it to a minimum, and afterwards, drink LOTSA WATAR! I know this from experience...

-Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 19:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Alcohol is converted more rapidly to ketones than fatty acids .. which is why the liver will use it in preference to fat, and why fat burning is put on hold as long as there's alcohol in your blood. Why you get intoxicated FASTER is also because of this ... while the liver is busy converting some of the alcohol to ketones, much of it is also being converted to acetaldehyde, which is the intoxicating compound from alcohol.

Alcohol can cause hypoglycemia in some people, especially if you have a drink on an empty stomach. Symptoms of hypoglycemia can mimic intoxication. It's best to have some protein and fat-containing food when you drink.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 12:05

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I think that this post is the nearest I am going to get to Alcohol for a few weeks as I am trying to break a stall. Can someone breathe in my general direction.

I have always thought that I can "take a drinK" and have never been falling down legless since my student days. Except that is untill quite recently on my birthday, when the odd scotch or three was downed.

We had had a BBQ with my immediate family and a couple of bottles of a very nice pinot noir were consumed. Followed by a quite splendid single malt for me while we played trivial pursuit and then a refill. The evening then becomes a little foggy.

As related by my wife, the highlight was me falling off my chair in delight at recieving a brown triangular piece of plastic pie and asking if it had carbs in amidst hysterical laughter. My son, who is experienced in these things manages to convince me to start drinking water before I stagger up the stairs around midnight singing I'm Aitch A Pee Pee Why, I'm Aitch A Pee Pee Why.

It would appear that alcohol and LC makes for a surprising combination.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 12:35

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%

<g>

Rustpot

You have a great sense of humor and style to your writing!

I guess I will stay away from alcohol as I am just starting out and need to learn this WOE

How about cooking with alcohol? What happens then?

Thanks y'all!

-Misty
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 21:50

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

I also had a "wow I've turned into a lightweight" experience...To put it in perspective, I had a Christmas party and downed 3 bottles of wine by myself(1 was 13%, the other 2 were cheap 7% kind) anyway I was a little green around the gills but other wise fine, then I started LCing at the end of Feb and after 1 bottle of wine a few weeks ago, I blessed the world with some very interesting digestive pyrotechnics!!! Not pleasant!

I've actually learned that if I'm going to drink to get a buzz(like when I'm going out to a bar with friends) that I need to out-and-out cheat, if I drink WHILE I eat my RM I get drunk and sick in no time, but if I cheat then I stall my weight loss but don't end up kneeling before the Porcelein god...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 22:25

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Thank you all!

Thanks for all of your replies. I am with rustpot on this one. The closest I am getting to alcohol anytime in the near future is this post. As my coworkers tell it I was extremely entertaining. The cool porcelein on my head sure felt good.

Mark