Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 216/161/154
BF:
Progress: 89%
Red face Dry mouth

Hello, Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a very dry mouth and lips...It seems the more i drink the dryer it gets.
Also my concentration is not so good! I wonder if i am missing out on some vitamin. I am taking Calcium 400mg, Magnesium 500mg and potassium 99mg. I have only been doing the diet one week.
Its bit of a worry Lee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/210/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Leeb, I don't know about the vitamins or anything I am also new to this. But I do wake up every morning with a dry mouth and right now my lips are kind of dry. I have been drinking about 64 to 80 oz of water a day. I just thought it was because of the cold weather and how dry it is in our house. The humidity is low most of the time so we try to run a humidifier. One good thing is waking up with a dry mouth helps me get that first 20 to24 oz in each day. Well good luck. I will check back to see if anyone suggest a vitamin or something. Janet
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:26

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Lee, and Welcome to this Forum. The same goes also for Janmomto2.

Can't really say I have noticed dry lips, but I sure do get a lot more thirsty on this way of eating than I used to before starting it.

Regarding supplements, Doreen T and Nat (Natrushka) both have set vitamins they recommend - you might check out their journals, and discover what they recommend, or leave a journal entry asking the question.

I notice we are almost neighbours. If you look in the UK section, you will see a post there about a Get-Together being planned for Cambridge in the near future. Perhaps you could make that?

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Andy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:49

Plan: none
Stats: 89/89/90
BF:
Progress:

What happens when you start a low carb diet is all the weight you lose in the first 3-4 days is mainly all carbs.The bosy stores 2g of water per 1 gram of carb. so you are also losing an extreme amnount of water aswell. Getting thirsty is your body defense mechanism kicking in telling it to drink more water because you are losing alot very quickly.

Also Increasing protein means your amonia, urea & nitrogen content in your blood is increasing therfor you kidneys are working harder to disperse these out of your blood.
Thirdly an increase in protein also equates to an increase in sodium. Which is one of the reasons some people take potassium to maintain cell equilibrium.

All theseadded together means you are naturally going to get thirsty.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:17
Registered Member

BF:

Well thankyou for your replies. It is amazing to get replies from all over the world.
I need not worry now that you have explained what happens Toby-Thanks.
Janmomto2 Your right, the first thing I do in the morning is have a drink. (i didn't think that i would be able to drink so much). Good luck with your dieting.
Andy, a get together sounds like a great idea. Cambridge is not far from me so i shall definately come. I shall look on the Uk section. Hopefully see you there
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:26

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Hi Lee

Hi there, Lee
I am sooooo glad that you are on this WOL, and that you are enjoying it.... perhaps we can go together to this UK get together.

Good luck with the LC-ing and you are so right with receiving replies globally, it is quite amazing....
Have you checked out the recipe section as yet?, and the UK forum as Andy Davies has suggested? Karen has some terrific recipes there and there are recipes there that we can submit to as well.
Hang in there and see you soon
Love
Fi
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 16:54
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Hello Fi
Its good to hear from you. We can go to the meeting together. I wonder if it will be in London or Cambridge.
I have had a look on the UK forum and have been picking up some tips.
I had a bit of a shock as i had a leek for dinner and have realised that they are really high in carbs...OOPs.
Oh well you learn somthing new every day.
I am still feeling a bit weary but not so dry. i need to talk to you about telephones soon! Happy LC-ing BFN Lee