Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-13, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/175/190 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 130%
Default You MUST eat RESISTANT STARCH!

Thought that would get your attention in a war zone!

Hello, low carbers. I heard you were discussing RS and I just wanted to drop in and talk about it a little.

I started my career as an anonymous low carb dieter right here on LCF, since then I branched out to many other diet websites, blogs, and forums in search of 'magic bullets'. I have posted in various places as Otzi, Tatertot, Timbo, Tim, and EEDude.

I did a stint on Atkins back before the internet without reading the book...lost 30, gained 50--you've heard that before, right? When I came to LCF in 2010, I think I had a stat of "240-240-190". It quickly became "240-190-175". About 6 months into my time here on LCF, I stalled at the 180ish range and that's when I started looking at what I was doing.

I tried the paleo diet for a while and that got things moving again. I think the missing piece for me was exercise. I started a bodyweight program and went from being able to do zero pullups do 30 and also sprinting, squats, pushups and lots of walking. Paleo brought me to 170, but I really, really wanted 160.

I went fullbore ketogenic last year and also did some of the potato diets you have heard about. I hit my 160 last Fall, but it was miserable. I was cold and couldn't sleep, my cholesterol numbers and thyroid labs weren't impressive, I could barely exercise. But I was at 160!

I read the Perfect Health Diet in January this year and decided to go the 'safe starch' route. I started eating potatoes and rice with every meal and experimenting with other 'off-limits' foods like beans, corn, sugary fruit, etc... I started the year at 168 and I'm sitting comfortably at 175 now. Feeling great, exercising, and didn't gain much body fat. Clothes still fit as well as they did at 160.

Along the way here, I discovered the term 'Resistant Starch'. Just google it and you will have reading material for months. RS is an important factor in feeding gut bacteria and linked to improved colon health and glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride regulation. The trouble with RS is that to get it from real food requires you to eat loads of carbs. The trend in the world is to get RS from bakery products with Hi-Maize added. Hi-Maize is a special corn starch with lots of RS. I researched RS and found it is most plentiful in green bananas, raw/cold potatoes, beans, oats, and rice. These foods are mostly pretty nasty and/or high carb/high calorie.

I also discovered you could get all the RS you could ever want, at a low calorie count, by eating pure potato starch. Tapioca starch seems to be a close second.

I have been on a bit of a mission to get this info out there. One day soon, you will start seeing lots of ads and articles extolling the virtues of RS. These ads will want you to eat Hi-Maize or some other grain based food. If you read something, hear something, or see something that makes you want to start increasing your RS intake--you now know it can be done simply with raw potato starch. Uncooked. Added to food or drink.

RS isn't about weightloss or fad dieting. It's about colon health and related benefits.

AKMAN
240-175-190
Sponsored Links