Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:03

Plan: scaresdale
Stats: 130/123/115 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Sugar Alcohols....Do you count these?

I am very confused.....I'm on induction, and found a chocolate bar that only has 1g carbs. Ofcourse, I'd only have one very occasionally. The lady at the low-carb store said subtract sugar alcohols just like you subtract fiber...what you are left with is the carbs that count (the one's in you're 20/day total). IS this true?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Not on induction Not in your 20carb whole food amount.

Give yourself the boost of a clean induction-conquer the carb addiction monster.

They have slightly less calories then regular carbs-they are absorbed in intestines not in regular digestion but the y do affect blood sugars in some folks.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/168/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I agree with Bevbme. I would stay away from sugar alcohols during induction. But once you are in phase 2, you can try it and just test to see if it affects your loss.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 17:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

no lc junk food on induction.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194.6/141.5/120 Female 5ft 5.5in
BF:
Progress: 71%

When I first started Atkins, I discovered sugar alcohols (AKA 'polyols') and thought they were a wonder-substance. Atkins says they're ok, they taste like sugar, and contribute no net carbs! However, after eating some "0 net carb" candy made with sugar alcohols, I noticed that I instantly craved more and that I would get knocked out of ketosis.

I did some research, and it turns out that:
(1) They *do not* have zero effect on one's blood sugar. (i.e., they're not necessarily low on the Glycemic Index, which is a rating from 0 to 100 of the extent to which foods cause a spike in blood sugar.) Surges in blood sugar levels and the resultant excess insulin release are what cause you to gain weight.
(2) They have calories. *Even* if, theoretically, they had absolutely no effect on blood sugar or insulin levels (a Glycemic Index of 0), the calories you get from them would be used for energy instead of your own body fat. I mean, some pasta doesn't have a huge effect on blood sugar, but it isn't allowed... so I don't know why sugar alcohols are.
(3) They affect everyone differently. Some people are able to absorb more calories from sugar alcohols than others. Some people experience a blood sugar spike after eating them, others don't. Some people find that they cause more carb cravings, others don't. They stall ketosis in some people, they don't in others.

Interestingly, the original editions of the Atkins' Diet Revolution books say that sugar alcohols are prohibited. It's only in the later editions of the book that Dr. Atkins says that they are ok. Strangely enough, this corresponds to the time when Atkins food products began to show up... And, yes, some of them contain sugar alcohols. Seems fishy to me...

I've been generalizing, but in terms of induction, it's a good idea not to provide your body with sources of energy that can be used instead of your own body fat, regardless of whether they are low on the Glycemic Index (GI). And sugar alcohols aren't even necessarily low on the GI. If you do want a treat occasionally, despite the calories, it *is* better to pick something that's low on the GI. There are some sugar alcohols that are better than others in terms of calories and GI value. I choose to *occasionally* have treats with these types of sugar alcohols, despite that I am continuing induction. For reference: Maltitol, has 3 calories per gram, and a 53 on the GI. Erythritol, on the other hand, has .2 calories per gram, and a 0 on the GI. Glycerin, which isn't quite a sugar alcohol, but is a common low-carb food additive, has 4.32 calories per gram, and I'm not sure what GI value.

Some people recommend including total grams of sugar alcohols in the net carb count. Others recommend counting half of the total grams of sugar alcohol. Discovering this freaked me out -- I wasn't having under 20 net carbs, like I thought I was.

Basically, be aware that sugar alcohols aren't all they're cracked up to be, and keep in mind that extra carb calories, even if they're low on the GI, will hinder burning off body fat. Also, be sure to read nutrition labels to figure out which types of sugar alcohols are used. They're even used in some shakes and bars.

http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm has excellent information on polyols, and includes a chart of the caloric content and GI of some common sugar alcohols.

I hope I haven't told you a lot of things that you already know, or confused the issue even more. I tend to blather on and on a wee bit. If I didn't explain clearly, or if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

-e.