Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 07:34

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%
Default We go under 10 carbs a day/our plans

Hi all...A few friends had asked me if I would start a thread that we all could come together and share on as we continued our losing journey our way...Many of us have set up our own personal plan and are not on any certain "set" in stone plan but what we have in common is that we eat less than 10 carbs a day. Many of us do meat/egg fasts...then we egg only fasts...then we do a day or few of meat/egg/low carb veggies...We have tweaked plans that work for us personally....We all gather here to share our menus, stories, success, gains, losses and sorrows..We like to offer ideas, tips, recipes etc..We are all here for the same goal, which is to better our body mind and spirit...

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join in...Anyone that knows me knows that I only have one rule on my threads and that is to be kind and respectable to others..You may not like or agree with someone else's way of eating or what they are doing, but you may not be unkind to them or disrespect them about that...None of us here are perfect and we have no right to judge....If you were perfect you would not be here trying to better yourself..If you have something unkind to say, dont say it here...

Please jump right in, have some fun and lets conquer this...I wish you all much success, peace and love...Stacy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/222.5/140 Female 5'7
BF:35.06
Progress: 36%

Hi Stacy, I'll help get ya jump started. I've tried the no carb, vlc route and don't feel well when I do it. I feel much better physically when I have a cup of veggies.

Yesterdays Menu:

B: 1 coff 2 tb hwc

L: aprox 5 oz pot roast (I dont weight it) pot roast was crock potted with lots of spices, beef boullion and some zc worstershire.
1 cup green beans, 1tb butter
1 coff 1t hwc

d: 2 oz pot roast, 3 oz mozz cheese, 2 coff 1 tb hwc each.

aprox 10 carbs for the day net

Todays so far and planned:

B: 1 coff 2 tb hwc, egg mcmuffin sans the muffin, 3 bacon

L: Not sure, nothing planned, might hit boston market and get a chicken quarter and some green beans

D: Cheese
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 09:12

I have felt pretty good with vlc, although some days my stomach was blah and we wont talk about the way my colon has been...that is TMI for most people...ewwwww....lol..but I am hoping that adding in just a few very low carb veggies will get my calories up just enough to jump start my loss again...I have not seen the scales move in about 8 days now...Seems like thats a trend for me..They dont move for a period, then I see a 2 or 3 pound whoosh...I think I am still losing inches as my jeans and finally my bra is much looser...

My plan is to add in 1/2 cup veggie every other day with one of my meat meals and see how that goes...Slow and Steady...I am also still going to remain very strict in making sure I dont go over the 10 carbs daily..

I would like for this to be a place that others can share favorite recipes also if you would like too..

I have been reading lots of studies on the negative effects on going to low carb and that effect on thyroid...Of course there are also counter studies that debate every study ever done...But having thyroid issues, that kind of scared me into thinking maybe I needed to up my carbs a bit to the 10 number also...Who knows I may be way off and it may not work and I may have to go back to 5, but we shall see...

My menu so far for today is:
B: None
L: Leftover spicy sausage with cheeses mixed in
D: ????

Good luck to all
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 09:14

Stats: 268/222.5/140 Female 5'7
BF:35.06
Progress: 36%

I didn't know that about the thyroid, I have graves disease, hyperthyroidism. Although I'm technically in remission I dont wish to test that!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 09:24

I have hypothyroidism and have since I was 16....I take synthroid for it and we regulate it with that med....I still at times dont think my endo has it leveled out as my symptoms seem to come and go....he also has my on a high level of vit D and said I was realy low on that...I guess they all run hand and hand....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 09:52

Here is a recipe I was thinking of trying this weekend:

Deep Fried Cauliflower Florets (low carb)

One 16oz bag frozen cauliflower
1 egg
3 T cream, half and half, or water
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese ( kind in a can like for pizza)
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
seasoning spices (garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, etc)
hot oil for deep frying

Rinse and thaw the frozen cauliflower. Drain off the water. With a fork or whisk, mix the cream, half and half, or even water with the egg. Set aside. Add your preferred spices to both cheeses, stir and set aside.

Put about a cup of cauliflower florets into the egg mixture, stir around until the florets are coated with egg. Next put the florets into the cheese mixture (I put the cheese into a quart size freezer bag) and shake around until the cauliflower florets are well coated with the cheese mixture.

Carefully drop into the hot oil. Deep fry 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Continue until all the cauliflower is cooked. Drain on paper towels and serve with your preferred dipping sauce.

Last edited by ljsmom : Thu, Apr-29-10 at 10:26.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 10:03

Here is a link to a recipe site I like to go to that you might enjoy:

http://www.deliciously-thin.com/thr...nt-recipes.html
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 10:18

Stats: 225/183.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi ljsmum,
Could you use fresh cauliflower for this recipe.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 10:22

Honestly, I have not made it yet and was going to this weekend...The site where I found the recipe someone else asked the same question and this was the answer given, I just cut and pasted the answer, so I personally dont know but am passing along what I read....They have a pic posted and it sure looks good...

Answer:
Raw cali has a tendency to "weep" when fried, when you use "bread breading" its not an issue but with other types it tends to blow off the breading due to steam pressure

Someone mentioned they like to use their raw cauliflower like this:
Raw cauliflower sauteed/fried in butter and lightly salted is nearly as good as breaded.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 10:45

Does anyone make that stuff in the summer with cucumbers and onions and vinegar and water and salt and you let it sit in fridge until they get a little soft??...My grandma and mom has made it forever and I love it, its kind of tart...I am thinking that may be ok, as long as I skip the onions and only have the cucumbers,,,Its so light and refreshing...Anyone know what I am talking about??.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 11:10

Another Recipe:

Button Mushrooms

1 package of button mushrooms, stems trimmed, dirt brushed off, and sliced into fairly thick slices (between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick)
1 egg with a little cream beaten into it
Some parmesan cheese with a little Italian seasoning and salt to taste put in a plastic bag
Put mushrooms in egg mixture, lift out with fingers and drain slightly, then into bag of cheese, coat well.
Fry in lots of butter, in a skillet large enough to put all the
mushrooms out in one layer.
Will take a little while to cook down, and become nice and crispy..... drain on paper towels, and enjoy!
Use two skillets if needed... they are not good if crowded in skillet
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 13:49

Plan: My own version of LC
Stats: 245/224/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:Since 4/4/2010
Progress: 18%

Thanks Stacy for creating this thread. I am happy to join you here and be a part of this group. Its so wonderful to have a place where we can come without fear of being ridiculed for our choice in foods, because we might not adhere strictly to any one certain plan. I love that!

I will have to check out the recipe site you posted. Hopefully I can find some things that would be a bit diff from what I have been eating lately, needing a little variety I guess.

Today I ate:

1 small saucer full of Fried Hamburger meat, Cabbage, Onions, Bell Peppers and about 2 TBSP Shredded Cheese. I fried in Olive Oil. It was sort of like a stir fry. I had a glass of unsweetened Tea for my drink.

That is all I have ate today. At this point I do not know what I will have for supper. I haven't thought that far ahead. I will have to make a trip to the grocery store in the morning as I am getting low once again. lol

I have mostly been eating ground beef, quiches, (crust less of course) cream cheese...etc I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower also. I am trying to cut out Sugar Free gum as I think it is part of the reason I have stalled. Ill check back later this evening.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgwen
Thanks Stacy for creating this thread. I am happy to join you here and be a part of this group. Its so wonderful to have a place where we can come without fear of being ridiculed for our choice in foods, because we might not adhere strictly to any one certain plan. I love that!

I will have to check out the recipe site you posted. Hopefully I can find some things that would be a bit diff from what I have been eating lately, needing a little variety I guess.

Today I ate:

1 small saucer full of Fried Hamburger meat, Cabbage, Onions, Bell Peppers and about 2 TBSP Shredded Cheese. I fried in Olive Oil. It was sort of like a stir fry. I had a glass of unsweetened Tea for my drink.

That is all I have ate today. At this point I do not know what I will have for supper. I haven't thought that far ahead. I will have to make a trip to the grocery store in the morning as I am getting low once again. lol

I have mostly been eating ground beef, quiches, (crust less of course) cream cheese...etc I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower also. I am trying to cut out Sugar Free gum as I think it is part of the reason I have stalled. Ill check back later this evening.

You know you are more than welcome here and you know me and one thing I dont allow on my threads is to be disrespected for our choices on our way of eating or what we do...Until we are perfect, we wont judge, ridicule etc...We are here to help one another and reach the same goal...I wont allow anything different, so you have no worries here on my thread....this is a place you can come laugh, love, cry, scream, have fun, make friends, share success and share disppointments.....

I am still tweaking my plan, as I am not sure what my plan is...Seemed like the weight just fell off, not it wants to hang on and I really have not changed anything,,,this is frustrating...

I am like you looking for some variety....Speaking of quiche, I just read a recipe today for a crustless pizza quiche, looked pretty good...Speaking of gum, I have some sugar free gum that is 2 carbs per slice I tear my piece into 3 parts and make it lasts all day...My mouth taste so gross, and 2 carbs is the least carbs I can find so far..

I used to do so good and have all my meals planned out. But not that I am tweaking my plan, I have not been doing that good....I HAVE to get better and will this weekend plan for the week and grocery shop. I think I do better and stick to plan better when I do that....I have no idea what I am having for dinner either and its 5:30...Hubby just left a bit ago to go back out of town to work until next Tuesday...

Hope you had a good day, talk to you later..Great to see you here
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 17:22

I have a plan....With the help of others, we have a plan...this is sure not set in stone, but going to give it a try.....Here is the idea:

Mon: Meat/Cheese..........Less than 5 carbs
Tues: Eggs/Cheese/Butter......Less than 5 carbs
Wed: Meat/Veggies ( 1/2 cup)........Less than 10 carbs
Thurs: Meat/Cheese.............Less than 5 carbs
Fri..........Eggs/Cheese/Butter..........Less than 5 carbs
Sat/Sun Meat/Veggies ( 1/2 cup)..........Less than 10 carbs

Veggies must be low fat veggies ( I only like cucumber, cauliflower, green beans, zuchini)
Make sure 3 meals are eaten, even if one meal is protein shake
Continue with no caffeine and no as and water only
Continue walking as exercise

Anyone want to give me thoughts???

Last edited by ljsmom : Thu, Apr-29-10 at 20:59.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 18:49

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 129/129/112 Female 5'2
BF:

Hey Stacy

I love the challenge of staying at 10 carbs a day! I won't be able to add the cheese in though. I tend to overdue it everytime. I also like the exercising challenge too. I'll have to think on the veggies. Oh yea, the water is a too! Check in with you later.

PS I'm thinking when I get closer to goal I could add in an occasional salad, we'll see.