Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:08
chewy

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Flaxmeal for breakfast

I want to start having the hot flaxmeal for breakfast-do I just add boiling water,add cinnamon and stir?What is a typical portion ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I don't have the answer to you question, but I would like to try flax meal for breakfast too. My question is, is flaxmeal the same thing as flaxseed?? And where do you find this at the grocery store???
Jeanette
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default flax "porridge"

3 slightly heaped Tbsp freshly ground flax seeds, use very hot, not boiling water (over 180ºF/82ºC will destroy the omega-3 EFA's ---- don't microwave either for the same reason), I'm sorry I don't measure the amount of water, probably about double the amount of flax, or 6 Tbsp (3/8 cup). It gets thick very quickly. You may wish to add a dot of butter, and some stevia, a little cinnamon is nice, or a bit of cream. It's a bit gummy textured, not like oatmeal porridge, but I love it..

Here is the carb count, from the Canadian Flax Council website -

Nutrient breakdown ... (by weight)

Protein - 21% X 30 gm = 6.3 gm
Fat - 42% X 30 = 12.6 gm
Fibre - 28% X 30 = 8.4 gm
Carb - 6% X 30 = 1.8gm
Other (moisture, ash) - 3% X 30 = 0.9 gm

So there ya have it. Total carbs would be 10.2, of which 8.4 is fiber, leaving 1.8 gm digestible carbs

(Corrine Netzer's book lists as 11.0 total carbs and 6.0 gm fiber for 3 Tbsp, so 5 gm digestible carbs, but the Flax Council gives actual percentage breakdown, which I trust as accurate)

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:49
Forum Founder

BF:
Default hi Jeanette

Yes, you can buy fresh whole flax seeds, then grind them yourself at home in a coffee/spice mill (they're too small and hard to grind properly in a blender or food processor) ... You can buy flaxmeal already ground, but it's expensive. Make sure if you do buy pre-ground that it's in vacuum-sealed, refrigerated package. Air, light and heat will make it go rancid quickly. If you grind at home, only grind up a few days' to a week's worth at a time, and keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

Hope this helps ..

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 20:15

BF:

Sounds yummy!!!
(Oh, I'd better go to bed, so I don't go to the kitchen!)

Doreen,
I am at square one here with the flaxseed, never heard of it before this website, but your recipe sounds delicious! Can I beg for more info...? Where would I locate this product? At a healthfood store? In a regular supermarket? Would the whole seed be located with the seeds and nuts? Can I use the store's coffee grinder to grind it? What about the already ground seed- is it with the flour? Thanks for your help, I'm going to find these, whatever it takes.
Jeanette
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 20:33
Forum Founder

BF:

Your best bet for fresh whole flax seeds is a health food store. You can buy pre-ground flax meal in some places; ask the store clerk if they carry it. Make sure it's in an airtight, lightproof package (such as foil). Once you open the package, it must be kept airtight, in the fridge or freezer.

The whole seed is quite inexpensive, and can be stored at room temperature for a few months. To grind, I use one of those little coffee bean grinders at home, they're also quite inexpensive, and handy to have not just for coffee .. I grind my own spices too. Don't use the big coffee grinder at the store .. first, you'll end up with coffee grounds in your flaxmeal; second, the seeds will gum up the big grinder, and the store management will not be very happy about that! ..

I highly recommend the Flax Council website, I gave the link in my post above. For some general ideas on using and storing flax, click here for their "Flax Seed in Home Cooking" page.

Good luck; keep us posted .

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:19

BF:

Thanks! I'm off to the store,
jeanette
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 17:38

BF:

Drreen,

I just re-read what you wrote about flaxmeal going rancid quickly and keeping it in the freezer. i was finally able to find a store that sold this, and I bought a bag of flax meal. It didn't cost much. But anyway, that was probably about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it's in a foil bag, but I've kept it on the shelf this whole time. Is it still edible????

Jeanette
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:45
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation maybe ...

If you haven't opened it, and it's still all sealed up, it should be fine. If you have opened it, then take a whiff ... If it smells nice and mild, nutty, almost buttery ...... then it's still fresh. get in the fridge/freezer ASAP.

If it smells like boiled linseed oil, you know, what painters use ... then it is past it's prime. Toss it ..

Your best bet, IMHO is to stock up with the whole seeds, and grind them yourself. You can buy a little coffee/spice grinder at K-mart for a cheap price, and you can use it for spices and other nuts and seeds too.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 20:26

BF:

thanks!! I haven't opened it yet. ( I have been off track for too long). But shall plan to do so this week!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/124/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Post Flax O Meal Cereal

Does anyone know if Flax O Meal cereal is available in Vancouver, B.C.? Makes no sense to buy it on the web at US prices plus shipping, but I'd like to try it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:09

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Chocolate

Doreen:

Is the count of 1.8 the same for the chocolate variety as well?

Thanks,

A THin Me
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:32
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: Chocolate

Quote:
Originally posted by A thin me!
Doreen:

Is the count of 1.8 the same for the chocolate variety as well?

Thanks,

A THin Me
Um ... I don't think so. What I was discussing in this thread is plain, ordinary flax seeds that you buy from a bulk foods place or health food store. The Flax-o-Meal cereal that comes in flavours like chocolate, or butternut or something like that... is a blend of flax meal, wheat bran and other things, plus the flavours. You can read more members' comments about Flax-o-meal in our Low Carb Products forum ... click here

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 22:12

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I have brought some linseed/flaxseed and am really wanting to try it mixed with a little raw wheat bran.
I am afraid to trust that you can saftly subtract the fibre from the carbs
Are you positive they are not listed seperatly?
The fibre is not listed under the carbs but on its own like the fat and the protein. on one of the brans I looked at buying the fibre count was 34grams but the carbs only said 27grams This doesnt make any sense and I am now so wary and confused but I dont want to miss out either and I would like something to help with elimation
The bran i have says 37.4 g total carb with 17.8 coming from sugar . The fibre says 33.6 so how does that fit in with all the 'sugar'. The fat is 5.4 and the protein 11.7. Calories 246. All amounts are for 100g.
I really dont get it and am hoping you can help put me out of my misery.
Both products are from the "Heatheries' brand available in New Zealand.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 00:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Found 'em!

It took some searching in my area. Our local Co-op didn't have flaxseeds. And the health food store was out. But I found them at another local whole foods grocery store. They had two varieties: brown flaxseed was $.89 per pound and golden flaxseed was $.99 per pound. I got some of both to try them out.

;-Deb