Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Convenient Food

One of the hardest things about this WOE seems to be that practically everything needs to be made from scratch! I sometimes long for the ease of opening up a bag of chips or whatever, heading to the couch and just vegging out. (Probably what got me here, eh?)

I have recently been making a few things ahead. Easy stuff, but something that I don't have to measure each time I want something.

I have make One Minute Muffins by mixing the dry ingredients & placing in a ziploc bag, then putting back into the flax meal box. I label the bag with the recipe: Add egg and butter, Nuke 1 minute. I also save the empty bag for next time.

The same way with Single Serve Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Do you have any more ideas along this line?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 15:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarren
One of the hardest things about this WOE seems to be that practically everything needs to be made from scratch! I sometimes long for the ease of opening up a bag of chips or whatever, heading to the couch and just vegging out. (Probably what got me here, eh?)

I have recently been making a few things ahead. Easy stuff, but something that I don't have to measure each time I want something.

I have make One Minute Muffins by mixing the dry ingredients & placing in a ziploc bag, then putting back into the flax meal box. I label the bag with the recipe: Add egg and butter, Nuke 1 minute. I also save the empty bag for next time.

The same way with Single Serve Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Do you have any more ideas along this line?

Check out the recipes forum for Snacks, Crackes, Cookies and Bars.

Make Cheese Crisps (process cheese slices quartered and in the microwave on parchment paper for 30-40 seconds, cool on a rack and bag).

Pepperoni Chips (ditto).

Sliced deli meats wrapped around quartered whole dills or asparagus stalks or green beans. For fancy, roll up with a cold smoked salmon, or spread some cream cheese and roll.

Slice of cheese melted on a Rye Crisp or other LC cracker or bread or wrap, 15 secs in the microwave.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 15:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Making things ahead is really the key to success. Whether it's main meals or snacks, not having to prepare *every* meal from scratch every time is a must as far as I'm concerned. All that requires is a bit of planning and a refrigerator or freezer.

Of course now that I have a sous vide set-up it has gotten so simple it's silly. Just plop a pouch into the water bath and I have a meal a few hours later.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 16:09

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Learn to love sardines in olive oil.

Open can, place sardines on lettuce leaf, and enjoy.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 23:02

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Salami and smoked salmon.

I lose better than when I don't snack, though. If you're talking about meals, remember that it's takes little effort to put a steak, chicken breast or hamburger patty in a pan. It's also pretty damned easy to throw a chicken or roast in the oven. You can even buy the chicken pre-roasted at the market. And meat is a much better choice than muffins.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 19:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks for the responses! I will try to look at the other posts. I was not so much needing snack ideas as much as a quick put-togethers.

Nancy, what is sous-vide?

K
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Ha, for me snacks and quick put-togethers are much the same thing...sorry :-)