Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 17:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/182/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Anyone start LOW-FAT & switch to HI FAT...

due to cholesterol numbers not improving ?
I am presently on WW-fat free plan and my numbers are going the wrong way even with Zocor.... SOOOOO, I'm thinking I need to do a diet switch to see if I can bring them into line with higher fat and protein.
Also need to still lose 20 lbs. and have stalled as of a couple mos. ago.

Please give me your stats with regard to above so I can make a good decision. Also which low carb plan would you recommend I start with based on your own experience.
Thanks so much for your input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 17:45
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Low-fat can make your triglycerides and insulin levels go up leading to inflammation, poor nerve function and possibly heart disease. LC with higher saturated fat from animal sources or coconut oil usually increases HDL (the so called good cholesterol). You can find more on this here:

Another thing, activly losing weight can make your cholesterol go up along with the stress of some diets.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jul-24-08 at 17:51.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 17:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I was on a super low fat/no fat diet before Atkins.
My cholesterol was sky high. I think it was over 300 (I would have to look up the exact numbers). My triglycerides were through the roof! I was eating less than 10g of fat a day. My life consisted around air popped popcorn, rice cakes, fat free cheese, boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in pam. Whole wheat pasta with diced tomatoes and fresh garlic and basil (no oil or butter at all), boca burgers, baked potato (no butter), eggbeaters with fresh veggies, salads with just lemon juice and lots of fruit.

I gained weight on that like you could not believe. My cholesterol production went into overdrive, my skin was dry and cracked, my hair was falling out, I destroyed my thyroid etc.

I finally decided to try atkins even though I was certain it was going to kill me.

Within 6 months on Atkins my cholesterol went down to 149 and my triglycerides were 50.

That was on high fat, high saturated fat, steak, eggs, butter, cheese etc. My salads had full fat dressing or oil and vinegar (what I prefer), my veggies had butter and all my meat was cooked with good amounts of fats. I ate chicken with the skin on, full fat dairy and cream etc.

I know now that cholesterol numbers don't really matter that much and there is a lot more to it but thats my story.

My doctor was shocked.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 17:53
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome! Sorry, but I don't have my stats handy to post. They have definitely improved, though.

The choice of a lc plan is a very individual thing, so you will have to do some research and learn about a few before you make up your mind. The most important point is that the plan must be one that you can stay on permanently. It's best, therefore, to select one that fits your personal lifestyle and food preferences.

I follow Dr. Atkins' original plan, but Atkins in general is probably the most restrictive of all the lc plans available. You might prefer a plan such as South Beach or Protein Power. You can start your research by reading the link below. Then visit your library and check out the books for the plans that sound reasonable to you.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/