Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 18:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Update

Well, I have officially been off my Metformin for one week now. I have been taking my BG reading 4 times a day everyday and keeping track of what I eat and my exercise. I have found my BG readings to be in the perfectly normal range the whole time. This has me abit confused. First of all, I was expecting the readings to be much higher than when I was on the drug. Second, I'm wondering what the heck was it doing for me all this time if my readings are the same off of it as they were on it The pain in my muscles has not gone away, so I'm not sure if it was the Metformin causing it or not. Maybe I need a longer period of time to determine if that was the cause. Now I do have to make an appointment with my doctor. He only wanted me off the Metformin for 2 weeks while we determined if that was what was causing the pain. But I have an additional question for him now...Why do I have to be on it period if it doesn't lower my BG readings anyways?

If there is anyone who might have an explanation for this, please do share!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
Well, I have officially been off my Metformin for one week now. I have been taking my BG reading 4 times a day everyday and keeping track of what I eat and my exercise. I have found my BG readings to be in the perfectly normal range the whole time. This has me abit confused. First of all, I was expecting the readings to be much higher than when I was on the drug. Second, I'm wondering what the heck was it doing for me all this time if my readings are the same off of it as they were on it The pain in my muscles has not gone away, so I'm not sure if it was the Metformin causing it or not. Maybe I need a longer period of time to determine if that was the cause. Now I do have to make an appointment with my doctor. He only wanted me off the Metformin for 2 weeks while we determined if that was what was causing the pain. But I have an additional question for him now...Why do I have to be on it period if it doesn't lower my BG readings anyways?

If there is anyone who might have an explanation for this, please do share!

Metformin did nothing for my Bgs except for late afternoon hypos, so may be you are better without it. I never thought this drug is very usefull and has nasty side effects too.
As for achy muscles, not sure how old you are, and if you take other meds like statins, but if it does not go away, it can be fibromyalgia, very common if you are under high stress, or going through menopause, or have have desk job and little exercise (stiff muscles ache more).
Good luck and please, keep posting your experience.
regards,
D.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 13:53

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

My doctor wants me to take the Metformin because
1) It can assist with weight loss
2) It prevents the glycogen dump from the liver which can increase blood sugar
3) It is used to treat my PCOS

I actually was off my Metformin for awhile, but weight loss totally stalled, so my doctor had me restart it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 14:01

BF:

Thanks for the resonses!

Dina- I don't take statins, I'm 48 years old and I'm not sure that it would be fibromyalgia. From what I read about it, the pain is kind of constant. Mine goes away in the morning after I get up. I do find it harder to do the weights for upper body for some of the movements, but some I can handle just fine. But normally for just day to day activities during the day, I'm not really bothered by it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who never really had any side effects from the Metformin ( unless it really did cause the muscle pain)

Camaromom- My weight loss has been stalled now for about 11 weeks. I keep gaining and losing the same 2 pounds no matter what I do. I just went off the Metformin, so I'm not really sure it will affect my weight loss. I have read that it does assist weight loss. I really hadn't noticed a big difference for myself in this. I do think that a medication is worthwhile if it actually does something for you. In my case though, I'm kind of wondering whether it was doing anything or not.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 16:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
Thanks for the resonses!

Dina- I don't take statins, I'm 48 years old and I'm not sure that it would be fibromyalgia. From what I read about it, the pain is kind of constant. Mine goes away in the morning after I get up.

Hi Charran, now it all comes together. Welcome to perimenopause wonderland. if it won;t get better in few days, then your muscle pain is due to hormonal fluctuations and dropping estrogen (if you still cycle monthly). I am 2 years older, but for the past 2 years I am dealing with aching and stiff muscles, mostly upper body: neck, shoulders, back, and chest, especially if I am not moving around much. Once I get up and get going, it goes away but I get achy at certain times of my cycle, when estrogen is at lowerst: midcycle and before TOM.
I am back to my exercise routine after a long break (18 months) and my muscles feel much better now. I also swmin every other day, and STRETCH daily, or I start hurting again.
Quote:
I do find it harder to do the weights for upper body for some of the movements, but some I can handle just fine. But normally for just day to day activities during the day, I'm not really bothered by it.

I can't lift as heavy as I used to, and not even trying or I will be train wreck for a week or two. Muscle pain and stiffness is one very common symptom of swinging hormones, check out 34 menopausal symptoms.
http://www.altmednetwork.net/articl...e_symptoms.html
Quote:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who never really had any side effects from the Metformin ( unless it really did cause the muscle pain)

the pain should subside in few days, if not, check the pattern. if you get better when you are moving, then it is hormonal.
As for weight loss, going through the change is the toughest time for weight loss, period. Your body is holding onto fat cells for dear life, since those are little estrogen-making factories, and once gonadal estrogen (estradiol) is gone, estrone made in fat cells take over. So, if you lose too much weight, you may suffer from other 33 symptoms of menopause in addition to achy muscles.
I hope you get better soon, if metformin did not help with your Bgs much and causing muscle pain, no need to suffer.
Best,
D.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 16:46

BF:

Interesting food for thought Dina..thanks for the link!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 17:32

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Dina,Charron
Saliva tests are very useful for determining how your hormones are doing:www.salivatest.com
Eddie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 08:32

BF:

Thanks for the info Eddie!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

........Helpfully site Dina...he he he.....seems like its eveything.
And...Eddie, how many Dr will offer this without you asking for the test (I just wonder)...................Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 12:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Dina,Charron
Saliva tests are very useful for determining how your hormones are doing:www.salivatest.com
Eddie

Eddie,
Sorry but saliva testing is not accurate, believe me I got all kind of tests done, paid $$$$ out of pocket too.
Blood test is the most accurate and it does not require licking and spitting for a month. But to check few major hormones they will draw at least 9 vials of blood every time you go for test, no fun either.
Secondary: during the change, hormones fluctuate ... hourly, and this is what causes all the nasty symptoms. Our body preffers equilibrium, so if one hormone is out of range, it triggers the host of the reactions and impacts the rest of hormones. Consider that adrenals make about 50 different hormones, you got the picture how easy it is to "balance". At this point of my life, for the 1st time I want to be a male.
regards
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 12:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboo
........Helpfully site Dina...he he he.....seems like its eveything.
And...Eddie, how many Dr will offer this without you asking for the test (I just wonder)...................Thanks.

Picaboo,
The mainstream gynos do not work with saliva tests, you need to find those provate drs who work with saliva testing labs. But those drs do not take any insurance, and you pay upfront #### since they promiss "to get you balanced". They also looove compound pharmacies, but this is another story and topic. If you want to learn more, you can PM me.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 20:57

BF:

"Sorry but saliva testing is not accurate"
Dina,how do you come to this conclusion?
Eddie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 23:04
Registered Member

Quote:
"Sorry but saliva testing is not accurate"
Dina,how do you come to this conclusion?
Eddie

compared my saliva and blood tests, simple. My blood test is in sync with my symptoms (multiple test showed similar numbers) while saliva test showed everything off the chart. Saliva results can be escewed by anything and everyhing: toothpaste, food, drinks, bleeding gums, etc.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 12:46

BF:

"Saliva results can be escewed by anything and everyhing: toothpaste, food, drinks, bleeding gums, etc."
Directions by my saliva test lab gave very specific instructions for the night before the
saliva test.Worked fine for me.
Eddie
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 22:25
Registered Member

Quote:
"Saliva results can be escewed by anything and everyhing: toothpaste, food, drinks, bleeding gums, etc."
Directions by my saliva test lab gave very specific instructions for the night before the
saliva test.Worked fine for me.
Eddie

female hormones are collected throught the enitre cycle. I am not sure which hormone have you tested and for what purpose, but I am through with hormones, tried and made up my mind
be well,
D.