Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:04

Plan: Atkins/m&e/VLC
Stats: 178.8/167.0/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question How to get the scale moving again??

I think maybe someone needs to spell out exactly what I should eat and exactly how much. I must not be getting it right. I am on day 14 of induction I have only had induction safe foods except 1 lg cup of coffee a day and 3 walnut halves on 2 different occasions. Oh and 1.5 teaspoon of cocoa once. I guess that's alot of mistakes . I lost 13 lbs in the first 8-9 days and I was thrilled. For the past 5 days I've been gaining and losing the same 3-4 lbs.

What am I doing wrong? I am trying to size down my portions and keep a rough estimate of cals in my head. Being previously extremely calorie obsessed I'm afraid that I will fall back into that trap if I log my food into fitday. Is there any other way? Any tips? Should I try meat and egg or the fat fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:27

Plan: first Atkins plan
Stats: 270/232/154 Female 66 inches
BF:sz 24-26 /22/ 12
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaysol
I think maybe someone needs to spell out exactly what I should eat and exactly how much. I must not be getting it right. I am on day 14 of induction I have only had induction safe foods except 1 lg cup of coffee a day and 3 walnut halves on 2 different occasions. Oh and 1.5 teaspoon of cocoa once. I guess that's alot of mistakes . I lost 13 lbs in the first 8-9 days and I was thrilled. For the past 5 days I've been gaining and losing the same 3-4 lbs.

What am I doing wrong? I am trying to size down my portions and keep a rough estimate of cals in my head. Being previously extremely calorie obsessed I'm afraid that I will fall back into that trap if I log my food into fitday. Is there any other way? Any tips? Should I try meat and egg or the fat fast?

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. Sometimes when you've lost quite a lot in the beginning, it takes the body a few days to catch up.

You may be losing inches instead of lbs right now. That happens a lot.

I have been on a mini stall myself for about a week, staying around the same weight, but I can see that my clothes are getting looser and I can wear some that I had outgrown.

So for right now be patient, and if it were me, I would not begin to climb the rungs of the ladder (adding carbs) until I see the scale begin to move a little bit again.

There's nothing wrong with staying on induction for longer than 2 weeks and just modify it a bit by adding foods, but keeping carbs in check.

Be sure to drink lots and lots of water because that helps to flush the system and rinse out the residue from burned fat. Sometimes the body will hold on to water when it's lost fat. There's an explaination of that here:
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard....read.php?t=6737

Also, make sure you're eating plenty of fat. Fat burns fat. Don't be afraid of it.

Good luck...you're doing great...stay on plan and the scales WILL begin to move again.....Remember, the first few days are ALWAYS great and then we begin to slow down and the weight loss becomes actual fat and not just water.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:44

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

Googoo, thanks for the link - interesting info! BF and I are in the same boat as the OP - we both lost quite a bit in week one of induction and are now hovering. I know from experience that it's just my body catching up to the scale, but BF is starting to get discouraged. Hopefully reading that link will help!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:44

BF:

Thanks googoo! I am planning on staying on induction until I reach my 2nd goal. Or until I lose about 30 more lbs (by christmas ). I will try to up my water intake some. I've been slacking lately on the water.

What are the ratios that i should aim for (fat/protein/carbs) ? What about calorie wise?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

My hubby and I have been on Atkins for 5 + months now. We had a whole month in which I did not net any loss (lose a pound today, be back up tomorrow kind of thing). We just stuck with it as to us, Atkins is the best WOE ever. Now I am losing. Averaged I have lost 2 pounds per week, which is fine with me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:57

BF:

Oh and I did want to state that my clothes actually feel a little more snug???
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 08:03

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%

The only way my scale start moving again was using MY PLAN tool as a way to be completly aware of everythig: carbs, calories, protein and fat....if you want you can visit my journal and see... take care of coffe and nuts they are evil...coffe because some people say that arise their insulin levels which means more craves and nuts because they are high in salt and it means water retention.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 08:16

Plan: first Atkins plan
Stats: 270/232/154 Female 66 inches
BF:sz 24-26 /22/ 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaysol
Oh and I did want to state that my clothes actually feel a little more snug???

That indicates to me that you're probably holding water from not drinking enough.

Some experts on this low carb way of eating tell us that our protein/fat/carb ratios should be:
20-30% protein/60-70% fat/10-15% carbs

I usually keep my carbs lower and my fat higher, but that's what I have to do to lose....and even then sometimes I get stalled. I just know that's it's part of the process of losing weight and no matter what kind of diet I was on, I would reach plateaus and stall from time to time.

Once in a while when on a stall I try to "tweak" a little here and there by doing some intermittent fasting (skipping meals and having all my food for the day during dinner) and then sometimes I try grazing (eating 5 or 6 very small meals during the day). Once in a while I will change to eating meat/eggs only for a few days....all this is just to try to get the weight loss started again.

But mostly, I find like you, that I am not drinking enough water and when I do, I always lose more consistently.

Here's another link on stalls that might be helpful too:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

Good luck on your journey!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 08:35

BF:

anyve-Thanks so much. About the coffee..would it help if I drank decaf? Maybe I could trick myself into thinking it is the same thing. I might have to relent and start tracking my daily intake.

googoo- that link was so helpful! I was contemplating really cutting my cals but keeping the same fat/protein/carb ratio but I guess that would do more harm in my weight loss than good. Right? Water water water is my goal for today. Again thanks, I was almost feeling desperate but, im going to TRY to relax and keep doing what i'm doing with maybe a little "tweaking" as you put it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 08:43

BF:

You know I just read through some of the butter thread..lol. After seeing the stats of the commenters it makes me believe they are right. I have been visiting another LC site and when I posted my question about my "stall" they suggested that I keep my fat in check by eating lean cuts of meat (chicken and fish) and to trim the fat off any meat I had. This was against what I had read about Atkins so far but, in my desperation I thought..well, maybe. I know there are alot of people over there doing stillman so maybe that's the reason. I do need to keep my % fat up to lose right?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:06

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

It depends. Some people lose more when they eat less fat, some people lose more when they eat more. You have to find out what works for you, and the only way to do it is experimentation!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/115/111 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

I lose weight 2 ways: 1. fat fast and 2. stillman if i need to break a stall. right now i'm settling for slow and steady and going with just plain ole atkins induction while using coconut oil.

Right now I'm moving "sideways" that is...112, 113, 114, 112, 114,113 etc...and it is making me berzerk. I'm maintaining which is good, but I still have a few pounds I need to get off. It will happen, I have a very hard time getting over it myself.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 12:20

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%

of course is a goog idea to try descaf Dr A. suggest to drink descag instead of regular...good luck
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'7"
BF:

Great post, GooGoo. Thanks for the link!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 22:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/209/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 48%

Your body's just catching up. It's way too early in the game to let your frustration get the better of you. You're doing great so far. Awesome job!!