Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 11:42

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Post How are you doing with the WOE?

Was an interesting day on my WOE yesterday. Scale was at 178 this AM - up a lb.

Since I'm new I need to let you know I have multiple med. problems. How many carbs I eat is dictated by my endocrinologist based on the level of my ketosis. One of the problems is a fatty acid oxidation disorder that can cause me to go into ketoacidosis - a life threatening condition normally only seen in diabetics and alcoholics on long binges. Ketosis is not dangerous at all for people without these types of disorders.

Started out with my usually breakfast:

Omelet - three egg-beaters, 2 ozs lean ham, 1 oz cheddar
1 slice LC toast w/ I TBS sf jam
12 ozs coffee
.75 TBS Pysillium Powder

I was out at lunch time with no good options so broke into the emergency supplies I keep in my car. Grandkids must have found my nuts & eaten them :

2 scoops whey protein shake mix mixed with 16 ozs water (40 gms protein, 4 gms ECC)

Ketostick indicated an extremely high level of ketone bodies at 4 PM check - called my endo who said to eat 60+ gms of carb for dinner and retest an hour after dinner - was up to light ketosis then so didn't need an additional snack.

Dinner at southern restuarant:
6 large chicken livers - lightly floured and fried
1 cup cabbage
3/4 c fried okra (breaded)
3/4 cup green beans
1 small buscuit with gravy

about 84 ozs water

I'm probably going to have to fast later this week for some more cardiac testing. I have been having chest pains radiating down my left arm on exertion for a couple of weeks. I've already had the ECG and stress test with radioactive 'dye' - this is going to be a cardiac cath. Anybody got any advice re: what to eat before a short fast?

Orang
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 11:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Orang! Welcome!

>>"One of the problems is a fatty acid oxidation disorder that can cause me to go into ketoacidosis"

Wow, that must be rare. So do you check in with your endo every day?

>>Anybody got any advice re: what to eat before a short fast?

I'm stumped. What does the doc recommend?

Good luck on your testing. Health vibes. ~~~~
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 11:22

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Kristine,

LOL re: do I check in with endo everyday - sometimes it does feel that way.

I have standing orders to check my ketone level 3X a day. I'm supposed to aim for 30-40 gms carb in light ketosis, 40-50 in light-moderate ketosis, 55-65 in moderate, 70-80 in moderate heavy and call the Dr. if it gets heavy. Sometimes it gets bad enough that I turn ketostix black - that means I have to go an ER (24 hour out-pat. lab) and get a blood test to determine what the level is and the Endo tells me what to eat from there. This is what happened with the 4PM ketostix above and is why I had such a carby dinner. I had to test again that night and he said if the ketostix was above light to have a 15 gm carb snack. It was light so no snack.

The cardiac testing has been put off - they will be doing an MRI instead. The problem appears to be outside the heart and they are trying determine exactly where it is and how to preat it. Prayers, health vibe, other spiritually healing methods / thoughts are welcomed.

Orang