Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 217/180/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default aspartame???

Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm curious as to the effects of the aspartame found in the diet sodas that I am now consuming. I have never liked diet soda, and rarely drink more than 2 sodas per day while at work. But now I have switched to diet soda during meals and vodka and diet instead of beer. I am actually developing a taste for most diet sodas.

Does this stuff have any adverse health effects?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 20:19

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Dr. A didn't recommend it-you can Google it for tons of info. It's YMMV thing and you will have to decide whether it's for you or not. I personally don't use it because there have been adverse findings relating to Fibromyalgia (which I have). I use Splenda and Sweet n Low in my ice tea.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 20:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

There are some people that find it stalls their weight loss but others it doesn't so I guess it's a just try and see. I personally don't drink pop regularly so I wouldn't be one to advise. When I do drink it the only thing that bothers me is the caffiene if it's in the evening. Just won't get any sleep. I'm sure someone else might have something to add to this
Leah
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 20:33

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

CocaCola makes a diet coke made with Splenda instead of Aspartame. Might wanna try that.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 21:09

Plan: Gen LC, Atkins influence
Stats: 264/251/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Oh yes, the Diet Coke with Splenda is a staple here! If you're becoming accustomed to the aspartame taste, though, the Splenda sweetened Diet Coke may taste too sweet.

I don't have problems with the aspartame or with sodas in general, but I also have cut my intake waaaaaaaaaaay down on them too. It is indeed a YMMV type of thing.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth and regular soda is generally too sweet for me, so the Splenda may be as well.

BTW, can someone tell me what YMMV stands for? I have noticed it everywhere on this forum and I'm guessing it's something along the lines of personal preference, but can't figure out the actual words.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 21:34
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Your Mileage May Vary, meaning your personal experience with something may be different than what someone else has expressed.

This link may be of help to you:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html

#8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 21:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Kisal, I added that page to my favorites for future reference.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 13:03

Stats: 225/207/158 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:whoa%/yup%/18%
Progress: 27%

Personally, my weight loss slows when I consume diet soda's.

I'm surpised no one mentioned the alcohol. That could also slow weight loss.

Kevin
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: 4-Corners
Stats: 165/137.5/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 79%

I find that a Diet Mt. Dew (though a "real" no no) kick starts my day and I've read that a little bit of caffeine helps to kick start the metabolism. In fact, I had cut caffeine out entirely, and I endured the headaches. When I started having 1 in the morning again, my weight loss didn't stall... it actually seemed to get things moving.

I do only have 1 a day now, whereas before, I had an open 20 oz bottle on my desk all the time, and consumed 3-4 of them a day with no water.

I figure 1 per day now, with at least 96oz of water is ok.

Diet Rite Cola has some different flavored diet sodas. They don't have calories, carbs, very low sodium, no caffeine, and no nutrasweet. They're actually pretty good.

Lori
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 12:23

Stats: 320/260/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 39%

i am trying to stay away from aspartame forever and then only using other types of sweetners like splenda sparingly. I know most low carb diets say they are ok to have. But for people who drink a lot of diet soda (like 5 or more cans a day), I think they can be especially damaging.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-07, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%
Default 1 diet coke per day I had

Now that I can tolerate the diet coke taste. I find that I am getting a migrane and I broke out in a rash when I introduced it in. I could only handle the taste with heavy cream. This was when I just had one diet coke per day for like a week. I think I will try the one with splenda instead. Thanks for the tips in this post.

Last edited by amberview : Sat, Jun-16-07 at 08:01. Reason: addition
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 19:56

Plan: atkins/low carb
Stats: 209/158/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 65%

The aspartame stalls me really bad-I won't lose more than a pound if I have any and the splenda...I can only do like a couple of packets in a week, but even so that too slows me down. The only thing that really works for me is water water water water water! Gets boring so sometimes I'll mix it up but not often.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach - Phase 1
Stats: 230/206/140 Female 62 inches
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielle
I find that a Diet Mt. Dew (though a "real" no no) kick starts my day and I've read that a little bit of caffeine helps to kick start the metabolism. In fact, I had cut caffeine out entirely, and I endured the headaches. When I started having 1 in the morning again, my weight loss didn't stall... it actually seemed to get things moving.

There is some research that shows that a small amount of caffiene per day may actually be good for you. That's not an excuse to OD on it though. And I guess it's another YMMV thing. I can't remember where I read it though, you might want to try googling it.