Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:34
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Meet me at Hardee's!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/181.5/175 Male 5 7
BF:
Progress: 95%

I had one, first burger joint in my area to acknowledge the low carber! what puzzled me though is the sign they had up said it had less than 10 carbs!! I guess that should be an understatement, so how can a burger have anywhere near 10 carbs?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Stats: 315/181.5/175 Male 5 7
BF:
Progress: 95%

from that article "This makes me laugh," says Robyn Flipse, a registered dietitian from Ocean, N.J.

Laugh all you want!!!! I'll take a low carb thickburger minus a few lb's please!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 14:24

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

We got coupouns today for the LowCarb thickburger, you get a free small diet coke to go with it. It is good until1/31/04. Boy that feels strange to write 04!!!

Linda
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 14:27

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Amen, bigdaddi!

There are no Hardee's or Carl Jr's up in Maine... but I'm moving down south just in time (Jan 1) to try one of these sandwiches at Hardee's it looks like! Yay!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 14:36

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

it looks to me like she never read atkins and she's calling herself registered diatician?? HA!! BRING ON THE FAT, BABY!!

i still stand amazed at how i can go through a large can of salty, fatty peanuts(about one serving a day-it's my treat) and still lose several pounds a month.and all the steaks i eat!! oh my oh my. fat is soo good...except on my rump, of course

i can't wait to try carl jr's hamburgers. lettuce wrap, they say? that should be iinteresting...but i'm looking forward to it...

Last edited by flynnlee : Tue, Dec-16-03 at 14:38.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 11:26
empress of fashion

BF:

Windy - just got my coupons in the morning paper! We'll have to do lunch!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 12:29

Plan: VSG Post Op/ Low Carb
Stats: 521/235.4/230 Male 5ft 10"
BF:dropping
Progress: 98%

I myself go and get the six dollar burger, take it home lay on some shredded cheese, salsa, or pesto, sour creme, jalepenos, sprinkle some hot n spicy pork skins over the top and pop in a movie. Its better, and cheaper.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 12:47

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

Actually, what Robin said is:

"This makes me laugh," says Robyn Flipse, a registered dietitian from Ocean, N.J. "People are deluding themselves into thinking this is weight-loss food. It is a very high-calorie and high-fat item without all the other pieces of the Atkins diet in place."

The key phrase is "without all the other pieces of the Atkins diet in place". Sound's to me like she's familiar with Atkins and knows the bunless burger is ok on Atkins but NOT ok without the rest of the program in place. This could almost be interpreted as an endorsement of Atkins.

IMO of course.

Dan

Last edited by DanG : Wed, Dec-17-03 at 12:49.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 16:02

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Oh, this is just wonderful! I don't know if any of you read it, but I posted a few weeks ago about our local Carl's Jr. manager. He pulled me aside one day while I was in there and basically said, 'Hey, look what we've got for you!' He told me how they'd added the Protein Wrapped sandwiches to their computer so all we had to do was order it that way now. He'd been in cahoots with the head office.

Carl's is basically the only fast food burger joint we go to now because they're so accomodating. Sometimes hubby and I share an order of zucchini. Yes, I peel the breading and dip it in loads of House Dressing.

I always tell them, too, how much better their burgers taste without the dillution the bun provides. I just love the Famous Star (without the ketchup/relish sauce) Protein Wrapped. Last night I had one of their grilled chicken sandwiches. I had to add some House Dressing because it was a teeny bit dry, but otherwise it was just great!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Here's the article I read: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...low_carb_burger

CKE Restaurants Tout 'Low-Carb' Burger
Wed Dec 17, 3:00 AM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!
By JIM SUHR, AP Business Writer

ST. LOUIS - Hardee's and Carl's Jr. fast-food chains consider it thinking outside the bun — capitalizing on America's low-carbohydrate craze, they're launching a bunless, lettuce-wrapped burger with just a handful of carbs.
CKE Restaurants Inc., the chains' parent, has unveiled the new menu item as Americans look to lop off carbs, in everything from beer to ketchup. Not coincidentally, the rollout precedes Americans' traditional New Year effort to lose weight.

But dietitians are weighing in, warning that whether it's the Hardee's low-carb Thickburger, with a third of a pound of beef, or its Carl's Jr. low-carb, half-pound Six Dollar Burger cousin, consumers should chew on this: it's still high in fat and calories.

"We know healthwise a certain amount of fat is essential, but consuming a greater percentage of your calories from fat is not a healthy approach," said Connie Diekman, chief of university nutrition at St. Louis' Washington University. "Just culling out some calories and putting in more fat isn't going to get you there. In terms of healthy eating, this is not a healthy direction."

The low-carb burger, she said, "is a great gimmick but not a great change in eating behavior."

Caroline Leakan, a spokeswoman for Carpinteria, Calif.-based CKE, suggested the low-carb burgers have their place in a lifestyle that also includes regular exercise and a balanced diet.

"In many respects, our food is an indulgence," she said. "For some, a low-carb plan is just what they need to kick-start their diet. We're offering them a choice."

For the record, the low-carb Thickburger has about 420 calories, 32 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs, compared with its original's 850 calories and 57 fat grams. The low-carb Six Dollar Burger has 490 calories, 37 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs. The regular? About 960 calories, 62 fat grams and 61 carbohydrate grams.

Low-carb, high-protein diets have enjoyed a resurgence, with books such as "Atkins for Life" reversing decades of dietary advice and saying the way to lose weight is to cut out carbs in favor of high-protein diets.

Prices of both burgers will be identical to their conventional, same-sized mates.

Different dietician, but same lame answers.

low-carb Thickburger has about 420 calories, 32 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs, compared with its original's 850 calories and 57 fat grams.
low-carb Six Dollar Burger has 490 calories, 37 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs. The regular? About 960 calories, 62 fat grams and 61 carbohydrate grams.

How can anyone claim this is not better? "Just culling out some calories and putting in more fat isn't going to get you there. In terms of healthy eating, this is not a healthy direction."

For the tickburger, there are OVER DOUBLE the calories in the "regular" and almost double the fat! Same with the Six Dollar burger....calories 490 vs 960, fat 37 vs 62 and carbs 6 vs 61.

Sorry...but they culled A LOT of calories and REMOVED some fat! AND!!!!! the LC burger only has 1/10th the carbs!!!!!

These people aren't going to be happy until we start growing wiskers and long ears! "Vegetarian is better" "cut the fat, and the calories, and don't you DARE have even a reasonable amount of protein"!!!!!

I am so tired of reading this garbage!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 11:41

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

Quote:
low-carb Thickburger has about 420 calories, 32 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs, compared with its original's 850 calories and 57 fat grams.
low-carb Six Dollar Burger has 490 calories, 37 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs. The regular? About 960 calories, 62 fat grams and 61 carbohydrate grams.

I just can't figure out where the fat went since these are essentially the same burgers wrapped in lettuce rather than the bun, unless the buns contain 25-30 grams of trans fats that are no longer in the sandwiches. If so, that is an added bonus to ordering these instead of the regular ones, even if you are not on a low carb diet.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 22:19
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Oh where or where has the extra fat gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef
I just can't figure out where the fat went since these are essentially the same burgers wrapped in lettuce rather than the bun, unless the buns contain 25-30 grams of trans fats that are no longer in the sandwiches. If so, that is an added bonus to ordering these instead of the regular ones, even if you are not on a low carb diet.
I know that some restaurants "grill" their buns... probably slathering on some nasty hydrogenated vegetable oil. Also, I don't know if there is a decrease in toppings (such as mayonnaise) that might appear on the original burger.

Good question, though.

I wonder how widespread the new Carl's Jr. burgers are... sure would be a nice treat.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:33
empress of fashion

BF:

Going to Hardee's for lunch today *coupon in hand*. I'm wondering if they'll ask "you want fries with that?"
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 10:18
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Went to Carl's yesterday, but they didn't have the "new" burgers.
So I just took the bun off myself. Rough life....